If Fuji discontinue all E6 we will see New Ektachrome in 120, 4x5, 8x10 ?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by trendland, Nov 16, 2017.

1. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The best slides shows ever done preceded E6 by decades. Three large panchromatic glass plates, each in a it's own carbon-arc projector, with its respective tricolor glass filter in front, all aligned. The shows would have gone slow, and the operator would probably have used tongs to keep his fingers from being burned, but I've had old-timers descibe the images as more vibrant than anything hence.

2. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well Drew Wiley I can imagine that experience you made.
    The best slide Show I remember was at
    Volkswagen/Audi introducing new cars.
    Somewhere in the 90 min.12 (may be 24 I can't remember) synchroned 6x6 projectors with laser combined show.
    And some attractive cheerleader models on stage. .....OF CAUSE !!! :tongue::tongue::tongue:
    .....:angel:?

3. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I got to handle a number of early 5X7 inch Kodachromes of Hollywood stars, which one of Hurrell's living assistants showed me. Still unfaded, and superior in my estimate than anything E6. These can't be reproduced due to copyright squabbles. But I still have a bunch of old Gepe 6X7cm AN glass slide mounts.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not starting home projecting by means of carbon-arch projector anyway?
    A wellsuited and exciting Apug endeavour...

5. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Carbon arc might be nice on a very cold day; but even then you might burn the house down, or else go blind accidentally looking at the filament. More realistically, you could use long lenses on three ordinary slide projectors to minimize parallax on the overlapping images. Pin-registered MF mounts exist. Now you just need to find some friends who will put down their Smartphones long enough to actually look.

6. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK - I may understand your point. Your intention is : Not burning the house down from projection with carbon arc powered equipment ?
    And you mean this stuff for example :
    magic 29.jpg
    1935carbonarc1.jpg
    Well - I have an idea that there could be
    indeed a need to new slide projection equipment (I mentioned it sometimes) when I look at this older stuff...:D....
    And I also have an idea that new Ektachrome don't have a special design to use with carbon arc projectors.
    It will obviously work - I have no doubts - but for burning down a comlete cinema theatre isn't nitro film the better design?
    :D:laugh::D...

with regards:smile:

7. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Just do it right, cause you'll likely get just one chance with a E6 slide and carbon arc. By the time Uncle Henry finishes saying, "My gawd, the ribbon on thet thar kitten shore is mighty bright red", the dyes in slide will have faded by 50 percent. Movie projectors were also very bright; but each frame of the film went past it in a fraction of a second.

8. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    See my new post.

9. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yeah. That's a great idea. Re-issue films on nitro base. It's about time a Darwin Award gets added to the Academy Awards. A nice shiny Oscar would look nice sitting beside the urn containing the projectionist's ashes.

10. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    By the time "nitro films" - one would not expect how many of this stuff is still stored in archives around the world.
    And (with the time) the danger of burnings becomes more and more.
    I remember during short practice in a film lab - they were working to that time
    (80th) the whole day to make copies.
    Just to make sure to preserve historical documents.
    Nearly 15% of films were rot. There (to such damaged films) - it
    was to late.
    I've seen parts of those film spules in worst condition -if I remember correct it looks in parts like ashes.
    Therefore (later) the name "safety film".
    But today there is no need to Kodak to name it E6 - Kodak Ektachrome (Safety film).....I would say :cool:

with regards

PS : One should not expect the danger of fire from Ektachrome revival - or should we ?

11. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The trouble is getting the carbons. They don't make analog carbons these days and the digital ones just aren't the same.:sad:

12. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "Digital carbons" ? :wink:....

with regards

13. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Absolutely true.

A Fujifilm departure from the E-6 market reduces the chances of the revived Kodak Ektachrome becoming a commercial success rather than the opposite.

In fact, I would venture to say that most E-6 film shooters who have remained shooting the stuff despite the increasingly-poor availability of processing - strictly did so because of the unique properties of those Fujifilm materials and they will not have any appetite at all for Kodak Ektachrome.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm going to buy a 5 pack of Velvia 50 and chip in my part to keep E6 alive. I found a lab that processes this film for a reasonable price. I havent shot slide film for 4 or 5 years. Maybe i'll take to it this time.

16. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do as you'd like but all signs indicate that Fujifilm's exit is very much fait accompli if what my Japanese friends tell me is true.

17. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would be quite sad. Their marketing leaves something to be desired, as Acros in sheets is only available in Japan to the best of my knowledge.

18. lantau

lantau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Acros 4x5 is available in Europe. I'm thinking if I should buy a box for my pinhole. Or perhaps hamster quite a few boxes in case I will ever buy a large format camera. By that time it will be all gone, and I'm not going to pay the prices on the auction site. But my fridge/freezer capacity is pretty much maxed out as it is. And I'm not considering myself a hoarder. I have lots of different film and it is there because I might want to shoot a specific one tomorrow.

19. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I certainly believe it to be true as well. Fujifilm has given every possible sign that their support for film (INSTAX aside) is over.

20. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Acros is entirely out of production. Once the last of it sells off, it is no more. All of Fuji's better sheet films on polyester base are gone, while triacetate sheets remain, so I suspect it's the substrate itself they don't want to re-invest in. This would also expain them dumping ACROS sheet film, but not acetate rolls of it. Astia sold poorly in this country, despite its superb repro characteristics. Everyone seemingly wants high color saturation. Don't know why, since most of them are simply going to nuke the image with finger paint in PS anyway. I loved Velvia for bringing out content in low-contrast fog scenes, but not for general subject matter. It's a sad day for chrome film in general.