If Fuji discontinue all E6 we will see New Ektachrome in 120, 4x5, 8x10 ?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by trendland, Nov 16, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes I would descripe the situation in the same way - both companies are not related. But there is a relationship in the market from a demand to E6 sheed films.
    If Fuji would kill all E6 and there would be a constant (smal) demand to bigger sized
    formats - Kodak possible would come under pressure :smile:.....to offer new Ektachrome also in additional formats.
    Yes - Sirius Glass .....:wink: I know what I am talking about : " Kodak under pressure to offer E6 sheed films :whistling:...:D"
    The pressure wouln't be much to high in any case !
    Remember 2005 ? Fuji discontinued Velvia50 (from technical reasons - what a nonsence) Well - such a kind of pressure Fuji let decide to relaunch Velvia50 a year later
    (technical problems to get raw chemical solved - nonsence twice ) such kind of pressure I am not expecting. But who can say ?

with regards

2. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most people shooting E6 these days do not project it. They scan it and then make digital prints from the scans.

3. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've shot maybe a hundred rolls of E6 film in the past 4-5 years and have never once projected it. I always, always scan and print.

That said, since moving back to the states I have not shot a single roll of any E6 film, now 2 years and counting. I have a bunch of Astia 100F (220 size) in the freezer but never take it out for shooting.

4. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The print quality from comercial labs was so .. so bad - it began in the late 70th from the change bw to color.
    Color labs with mass production and lower and lower pricing began to overflow the continent.
    My last c41 film I shot was 1994 ! Enlargement as a special form of scratch I began to hate. My darkroom was out of order to that time.So I only shot E6 to a full decade. 2004 labs offered phantastic
    quality to cheapest pricing.
    I began to shot c41 again.But from this experience I don't miss prints if I have a simple slide.
    with regards

5. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only reason that *I* DO shoot E6 is for projection. If I want color prints as final product I'll shoot C41 (or, ah-hem, digital.) But I realize I'm unusual in that regard.

6. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I loved Ektachrome E100G and it would be fabulous to see it available in 4x5 sheets again.
    However, I stopped using color films when all the local labs closed...
    so, availability of good color film stock is not the problem.

7. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    E100G wasn't so bad at all.I bought some
    4x5 packs (6x) to $ 3,- but without camera to use it.Sure it was expired - today you have to pay much more to the same expired stuff.
    Buy the time Kodak will find a new name.
    So we never see E100G again - I hope the nrw Ektachrome is a very little more exiting caused from improvements.
    But E100G was real superior.
    with regards

8. That is the best reason to shoot slides.

9. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree 100% because I need it for projection 135 (90%) what means 10% of the total 135 E6 films would make no trouble if they would be shot as c41 films.
    In 120 I need E6 to 50% for projection .
    4x5 inch is no need to me to project but it would be good to have this format in E6 to a long time because the slide sheeds are real nice much more than negatives.
    In enlargements I notice the difference between both film types not so much.
    THERE is the more difference coming from the actual film.
    with regards

10. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's easier to scan E6 for people who aren't really skilled at it (like, um, me.) I'm not saying it results in better scans, just that it's easier.

11. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doing some quick math, I havent seen a projected slide in 46 years. Probably why I have no interest in E6 for the most part. I'd happily give up Provia and Velvia if I could get Reala 100 back. Now THAT was a film.

12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, coming across projected slides is the great exception for me too. But recently I saw an art installation where 35mm slides were projected on old projectors to fit in the archival mood of the installation. The interesting thing technically was that the photographs originally had been digital ones, and thus had to be turned into slides first.

13. Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just saw on another thread that a representative from Kodak Alaris has said that they will put out Ektachrome in other formats based on the success of the 35mm film.
    So all you medium and large format shooters if you want Ektachrome in 120, 4x5, etc, you have a very good reason to break out your 35mm cameras, and shoot some 35mm Ektachrome!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jm94

jm94 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I shoot E6 to project it as well as scan it. You cannot beat the beauty projected. After my mother left us, i do not regret the slides i shot when i was 18 back in 2012 on provia 400X of me and my mother, out of all the photos I have, they are the best ones.

16. etn

etn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And they do not know what they are missing. Particularly given the low price of projectors on the second hand market.

17. Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't have a projector, but i do have a PanaVue slide viewer.
    What i really want is a proper loupe for viewing slides.

18. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Exactly ... .I followed the digital beamer quality from the very begining since the 90th. I was allways the same. I was comparing many high expensive professional systems. The most advantage is indeed the possible feature with movies.You can't watch a movie with a slide projector. But with a beamer it does work both.But if it just goes to watch pictures in best resolution, in higest light level - there is no ability to normal costs today with digital equipment.Mostly you are not in the near of the resolution in a big format you can have with simple slides.But what is the reason?It is so simpel : TV resolution in PAL norm has 625 lines (NTSC 525) that means you may have a still picture resolution in the near of (the compared digital resolution) 300.000 pixel! Thats not enough - but many were using this in the 90th to watch pictures with their brand new digital beamers
    (~$ 800,- - ~ $2000,-) the people were lucky with this quality.BECAUSE they havn't see a slide projection to compare (as you mentioned).And the situation today? What is about Full HD 1080P ? It is nice to watch movies - same procedure as every decade.And still frame resolution ? 1080P has 1920 x 1080 Pixel. But is a 2 MP resolution able to be better than 35mm film ? Ok you need 4K digital beamer projection ? 4K become more and more cheaper these days. It has 4.096 x 2160 pixel.So it should be max. like a 10 years old DSLR with 8MP - wow thats realy amazing friends - or isn't it :cool::laugh::laugh::D:happy::D? It is total nice for watching movies - same procedure.....And up to now we are just talking about 35mm film. We shouldn't compare with 6x6 projection.

My conclusion is 100% like yours -
    people today should once in a livetime look at simple 35mm slide projection and compare.

with regards

PS : Therefore the need of E6 films.

19. etn

etn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hear you :smile:
    While reading your post, the many "This 3Mp digital camera outperforms film!" articles published all those years came to my mind and I was ROFL. Mind you, now we have cameras with 50Mp or more, what the *** if it's only to project pictures with a cheapo 1080p projector.
    We definitely need more E6, more projectors, more medium format, more film, etc. (more time to shoot, more vacation, more money, more friends, more sunny days, etc etc.)

20. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Indeed - as I mentioned - look at all of my posts - I saw this issue never different.But million others do this ...:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

with special greetings to you

21. ITKI

ITKI Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ..new forum motto sorted then!

22. They are missing to whole point. They are not seeing to reason for using E6.

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A reason to use slide films is in case you are expecting guests...

[​IMG]

24. Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hehe, but you need to have them mounted, which not many labs still do.
    My local lab that has started to offer it not long ago does E-6 processing for 12/13€ / roll, not too bad, compared to 4€ ( C-41 ) and 8€ ( B&W )
    The bad part is the slide mounts, for a 36 exposure roll, the slide mounts cost 11€ ! :surprised:
    I may just start to mount them myself, it's not that hard.

25. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well - it's realy not that hard.
    More harder is to realize Gepe 6x6 mounts are priced now $24 - $ 31 (20pcs glassnes)
    B+H wanted to have $60,- a couple of weeks ago (6x6 anti newton)
    So you may better be quiet now and follow your task :D....

with regards

PS : I prefer Gepe 35mm glassles (mental mask version)
    But simple CS mounts (200 pcs. ~ $ 14,-) will do the job alsobandit:....

26. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A "mental mask". Yes, that saves us supply problems...