9x12 Plate holders 1

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by Ian Grant, Jun 25, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found two plate holders with the right dimensions, they have a grooved edge, and identified your problem, you don't have a 9x12 Cameo !

You have a Postcard size Butchers camera, I just checked the dimension and I'm 100% certain, that's why you can't find 9x12 holders that fit. Also 9x12 film inserts won't fit unless you modify the plate holders to hold them in place. They do fit width wise, at least the ones I've just tried.

Ian

2. studiocarter

studiocarter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're right. I found a link this morning after I looked up the lens on the internet.
    http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium/pm.cgi?action=display&login=pocketcameo
    the postcard size hit my eye.
    So, it's a Pocket Cameo, Model 1 with rise and fall and side to side movement of the front stand, in the 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 postcard size, made in England.
    Great to know all that. Thanks all.
    And here she is cleaned up a little bit.
    Cameo 1.jpg The Cameo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just an update on edge types this image may help with identification, I have a 2nd to finish.

[​IMG]

Ian

4. studiocarter

studiocarter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Kodak No. 3-A camera took 122 film. It also can accommodate a glass plate with emulsion on it. The plate could be changed in a big changing bag holding a box of unexposed glass plate films. I discovered this while making a ground glass for the camera. I had gotten a roll of film in the camera when I bought it. The film was good to use. My 122 roll film pictures were out of focus and I had to adjust the scale. So ground glass was needed.
    The plate that fits the 3A also goes into the plate holder rails on the Cameo camera, without a plate holder in it. It is a little too narrow but it can be cranked or turned a little bit to engage both sides. The Cameo focus scale was spot on.
    I made a YouTube video showing these two ideas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0denr5zAzc
    Click on my name to see how I developed the 122 roll film.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  5. studiocarter

studiocarter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Butchers Postcard Cameo plate camera had to have had a focusing back. Right?
    Anyone have one that might fit?

6. fedupwithdigital

fedupwithdigital Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Just got two mystery plate holders. Was looking for holders for a KW Patent Etui 9x12 and have a Contessa Nettel 657 which fits perfectly. But the two new ones, although stamped Contessa Nettel, are too small! They're 91mm wide by 130mm long (ignoring the darkslide) with the usual Contessafalz edge lip. Internally, I'd say the maximum size of plate they could hold would be 81mm by 103mm.

Any ideas which camera they might be for?

7. OP
    OP
    Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some German manufacturers made Quarter plate cameras which were slightly smaller than their 9x12 models, others just made quarter plate holders that fitted their 9x12 cameras.

Ian

8. fedupwithdigital

fedupwithdigital Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Ah, so quarter plate it is. And no use to me (unless I acquire another camera, something I try to resist!). The seller described them as approximately 4 x 5 inches when they are much closer to 3 x 5. I'll see if he'll take them back. If not, does anyone need two quarter plate holders - will sell or swap for 9x12 holders that'll fit a Patent Etui!

9. Simon Howers

Simon Howers Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ian,
    I've got an Erneman (currently under restoration) which, I suspect, fits the bill. I have a pile of quarter plate holders. Are you interested in the data?

Simon.

10. OP
    OP
    Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The more information the better Simon, I have a scrap 9x12 Erneman and used the focus screen back etc on another camera missing a back, there's some interchangeability between some cameras and holders,. I'm lucky all my 9x12 cameras will accept the same holders.

Ian

11. paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    207\5 9x12 maximar film holders
    Im guessing from my edge to edge measurements off the gg back....
    150mm x 94mm with a lip sounds right.
    anybody have any spares they'd like to sell?

im also looking to buy avus 9x12 film holders... 101mm x154mm with a lip
    if anyone has spares???

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.