The Toner Thread

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Stephen Frizza, Jul 17, 2010.

1. NedL

NedL Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I have a question. I know that sulfide and thiourea toners will tone silver bromide, regardless of whether it's exposed. What other toners behave that way? Selenium: if it was KRST, the amm. thiosulfate would dissolve undeveloped AgBr, so not this one, right ? Iron blue toner ( AFC + pot ferri + weak acid )? Copper toner ( copper sulfate + pot ferri + K-citrate or maybe Na-citrate )? Any others?

Are there other fogging agents that aren't used as toners?

2. Louis Nargi

Louis Nargi Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    interesting thread

3. esearing

esearing Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Experimenting with the PF Nelson Gold Toner Kit. Kit is a bit cumbersome to mix and toning solution is used at 100-110 degrees (if possible). The toner is slow working so you can pull at any stage from barely noticeable change in highlights around 10minutes to full brown toning. Full toning is achieved in about 20 minutes and has about the same brown tone as Thiourea when using the brown tone mixtures with more activator. There is some loss of density so a slightly darker print should be used.

Example: Overprinted image on Ilford MGFB Warmtone, developed in LPD 1:2, Gold toned for 12mins at 110 degrees falling to mid 90s + 3 minutes selenium 1:20 . The light brown tones dried down darker than I expected so 10Minutes may have been adequate.
    [​IMG]

4. studiocarter

studiocarter Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have reversed 16mm tri-X 7266 then Selenium toned it. It went from a greenish color to a darker purple. Nice. My last video shows the two effects at the end. https://m.youtube.com/user/studiocarter1 How far can this idea go? Can Lomo Purple be made using toners? How strong of colors can be made on reversal movie film that is b & w?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.