Darkroom Portraits (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Sean, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Ai Print

Ai Print Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We tried to stay in Aspen proper where I have lived for nearly 19 years but at $1,000-$3,000 a square foot there was just no way I was going to have a real workspace. So we are about 15 miles away, total footage on the house is 3,750....way bigger than I could have imagined ever having.

It's indeed exciting!

2. Martyn L

Martyn L Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow !!! now thats space.
    Mine is literally a garden shed by comparison. Gonna cost mega bucks to kit out though.

3. Ai Print

Ai Print Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nah, I already have all the goods, including a Jobo CPP3, 2x LPL4550XLG / VCCE, sinks, all RH Designs electronics, 2x Hass D250, etc.

I have been literally building up to this for at least 10 years, its plug and play at this point.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  4. Martyn L

Martyn L Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Took 6 years to get mine together.....I have the lpl7452 and a 7700 i use for 6x45 format.

5. Firestarter

Firestarter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Hi,

Very nice set up, very organized looking space.:smile:

Can I ask a couple of questions about your small water heater. Just wondering if you can get a constant flow at low temperatures? such as 20C for washing films etc. Also it looks like you have it wired into a fused spur. Does it draw a lot of current or do you just run off a standard supply?

Thanks.

6. Martyn L

Martyn L Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The water heater is on A fused spur as you said. It runs off the ring main, I must admit it is not the best but with fine adjustment the temp can be kept at a reasonable level. The flow is not great though so I tend to wash film with many water changes from a bank of jugs mixed to 20c.

7. Luis-F-S

Luis-F-S Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Some shots of my small darkroom, I think I've posted them here before. I have a 10 gal water heater outside the darkroom to supply hot water to the mixing valve during the winter. The cold side is tap as long as it's below 68 F. It is filtered right before the line splits to the heater. In summer, I have a chiller (also just outside the darkroom) that supplies the cold side, and the "cold" tap the warm side (usually over 80 F in summer). Don't use the water heater for temperature control except in winter. The chiller sits on blocks on the floor and is shown with the insulated piping before the walls were finished.

DSC_0205s.jpg DSC_0208s.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  8. Martyn L

Martyn L Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a cannister filter system out side feeding the hot and cold sides. I also use the rainwater from the darkroom roof stored in 3 barrels with another filter. The supply is not piped into the darkroom from this. I use this for alternative process mostly.
    Our PH at the mains tap is 7.5 with the rainwater at 6.5.

9. Firestarter

Firestarter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Thanks, just thinking of some options for hot water.

10. Ai Print

Ai Print Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Guess it is time to piggyback this thread with my build, getting ready to install the wet side, total of 20' feet of sink and wet countertop space, handyman is knocking out some low overhead and then relocating a GFI above backsplash level:

Wetside.jpg

11. Stephen Prunier

Stephen Prunier Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Impressed!!!

12. Martyn L

Martyn L Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looking good

13. Martyn L

Martyn L Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good info for new comers to film

There are more in the series.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Group Image.jpg

Here are areas of my new space, from Alt exposing unit to darkroom enlargers and sink to Lambda Image setter where I make silver gelatin film and paper.. btw you can see the big troughs
    for making Lambda Silver Gelatin, that day I exposed and processed 50 ft of 30 inch black and white paper.

16. JPJackson

JPJackson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bob,

Really exciting and well thought out too!

17. Martyn L

Martyn L Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice to have that amount of room.
    Bob......can't seem to access your website

18. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    changing web sites as we speak

www.alternativephotoservices.com

19. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My disaster in progress. About 10'x12'
    I converted a bedroom that had a closet that shared a wall with a bathroom. The bathroom had 2 sinks and we had already abandoned one of them. I tied into to That supply and drain and bought a sink from..... Freestyle.?
    So far i have only developed film. I am just now starting to set up the Beseler and Align/Get it running. I THINK i have everything (other than artistic talent, ability and know-how) needed to be able to print my 35mm. I will know for sure in a few weeks.
    http://i.imgur.com/MCJTy6y.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/pEMc6BW.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/eFQHtCT.jpg

20. TattyJJ

TattyJJ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My darkroom is nearing completion, only taken 3 weekends and a couple of evenings to convert the back third of the garage into a darkroom, plus the tightest budget ever. Much like most of my kit, the majority of it is begged borrowed or stolen :wink:

It's pretty small at only 2 x 2.3 meters, pretty minuscule compared to what many have available! But i think the space is enough, going by what seems to be the standard layout i have a wet side with my home made sink and dry side with just about enough room to manoeuvre in the middle.
    Drainage and power are all sorted, but need to sort out running water and storage, LOTS of storage!

IMG_1362.JPG IMG_1363.JPG IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1402.JPG

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  21. Ron789

Ron789 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like a nice darkroom! Yes, space is limited but I think it's sufficient as long as your prints are a modest size; I'd say, up to 30x40cm. As for running water: I connected a 1 meter garden hose with an adjustable nozzle that allows to set it to a straight flow of water or a spray and has an open/close handle with a fixation. I find that very convenient. Good luck finishing this setup and then... have lots of fun printing here!

22. Martyn L

Martyn L Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Doesn't matter how big or how small the darkroom as long as we all enjoy what we are doing..
    It's great to see people building dark rooms.

23. TattyJJ

TattyJJ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not too fussed about not being able to do really large prints. I could probably squeeze out a bit bigger than 30x40, but even that size is pretty amble for me.
    Running water will be from an outside tap just round the corner from the garage entrance, all i have to do is plug the hose pipe in whenever i'm using the darkroom. No great hardship.
    I'm looking forward to getting a first use, but the varnish on the sink is taking a lifetime to dry!

24. Fraunhofer

Fraunhofer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So finally, the result of three months of intense work and 20 years anticipation...
    dm.jpg

25. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tatty,
    I advise you to put something smooth on the walls around the sink.
    Water and chemicals WILL get splashed on the walls.
    So make it easier to clean up.

26. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here's my latest conglomeration. I need to get rid of every little thing I don't require in the Darkroom. I should have finished the walls first but I needed to get up and running. When I retire (Which isn't going to be much longer, I'm going to put up some more panels, etc. What a great lifelong hobby! Best Mike
    DarkroomNorthend.jpg Darkroomgreensink.jpg Darkroomdual enlargers.jpg DarkroommetroluxVCL.jpg Darkroompakodryer.jpg 20170205_131049-1-1_resized.jpg Darkroom Sign.jpg