Darkroom Portraits (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Sean, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    BobDarkroom.jpg So this is my new set up , the exposing side, two Omega Condenser enlarger , one Devere, plus two plate burners, one quite a bit larger to handle bigger sheets.
    What is new here is that I am going to replace all the fluorescents with tungsten light so not to harden gum, and now I am able to use all my exposing units in one room and process in the big sinks behind my back.
    I am hoping to move my location in Sept 2019 to house a single floor facility where I can do all my work from beginning to end. The Darkroom/Dim room will be designed in a way that I can easily switch from process to process, including film processing and Lambda output easily, I hope to have beside this huge central Process room, my Scanning, Inkjet, Rooms and of course Mounting, Matt Cutting, and Frame Assembly area, which will have a small corner dedicated to a Still Life shooting space.
    This will allow me as I age the ability to work on one floor, as well the sinks and workstations will be a low height (Dinesh pipe in here) so as to allow any future wheelchair access, by using floor drains and large water supply from hoses above I will be able to encircle the sinks which will be central for complete access.. I have been designing this work space in my mind for 30 years now and I have pretty much tried every configuration and I think I have a good handle .
    You will notice the metal shelving.. this stuff is amazing in application and I plan to use it extensively to hold sinks, Scan Station, Computer Stations , and storage combined.

I plan to continue working for at least another 25 years and beyond, I have enough image content to keep working and I have a few dedicated clients who want this to happen. The Darkroom has been my constant companion, much a part of my life as my family. Luckily my wife is a darkroom worker so she supports this crazy Idea.. we all have heard of freedom 55 from the Banks propaganda.. Screw that freedom 95 is where its at.

2. Ai Print

Ai Print Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is really great insight Bob, I wish you many very creative and healthy years of producing fine work in this space.

These are the Good Old Days!

3. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks amazing Bob - you are living my (professional) dream life - I would love to have access to a darkroom like that! As it is I feel there are some processes that I probably will never be able to do with my current set-up.

4. mpirie

mpirie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Wow....now that's man's enlarger !! :laugh:

5. VinceInMT

VinceInMT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've worked in a variety of darkrooms since the early 1970s. The first we in Army Special Services labs at Camp Drum, NY, Ft. Dix, NJ, and then Wackerheim, Germany. Once I got out I moved back to Southern California and used a temporary set up in an apartment bathroom before moving to a 2-bedroom duplex where the extra bedroom became the darkroom. I bought a house there and used the extra of the two bedrooms until kids came along and I was evicted to the garage. I eventually moved to Billings, MT and our house has a full basement and one of the rooms did have a window. Perfect. I had a plumbing issue and had to jackhammer the floor to fix a broken drain and, luckily, it was in that room so I stubbed up a sweep ell for a drain and brought hot and cold water in. It's simple and I am still using my 1970s equipment.

You can see some past and my current darkroom on this page:

http://www.codecooker.com/projects_photography/

Vince

6. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hang in there Bob! I will be 87 in March and still have the desire to get into the darkroom. Do remember, though, that the legs/feet do go first so figure on a way to sit and do your work in the future. The same might be true of your darkroom boss, so find her a stool to sit on also......Regards!

7. Stephen Prunier

Stephen Prunier Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Looks and sounds Awesome Bob!! After taking 9 months off I've been putting my darkroom back together. I use a spare bedroom, and I can do everything but the final wash of film and prints. For that I go across the hall to the bathroom. I think about putting it in my basement, but the temperature swings to much, so that would need to addressed. Plus the concrete floor kills my knees. If I find some $$ then I would make the improvements needed. Time will tell.

8. MegoApesNut

MegoApesNut Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My darkroom is ALMOST finished. Just waiting for the plumber to arrive and I will be up and running!! I built the enlarger "cabinet/stand" myself. Made the sliding "barn" doors from tongue and groove and attached with barn door hardware from Amazon. A friend of mine works with DuPont Corian and got me some pieces for next to nothing. I did all of the work on the room myself expect hanging the drywall. I framed the room, did all the wiring, trim, baseboard, etc. It took me almost a year to get it finished but the feeling of satisfaction is awesome. I have the shop vac venting outside to keep dust to a minimum. It also doubles as the vacuum for my vacuum easel. I cannot wait to get inside and start printing again after a 25 year hiatus!! IMG_5131.jpg IMG_5132.jpg IMG_5133.jpg

9. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice!

10. Stephen Prunier

Stephen Prunier Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looking AWESOME!!!!

11. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! That looks great!

12. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Very nice. I have an 8x10 Zone VI with the VC head, and a Zone VI VC head on a Beseler 4x5. I spy a Metrolux II timer. What a fabulous setup . With that timer you can do split contrast printing that will blow your sock off .
    I bought an spare Metrolux II ,just in case. That is a beautiful space. There's simply nothing as rewarding, photographically, for me as nailing a really nice print. I have a great setup but you did it right by really making a lovely space . That’s awesome!
    Best Regards Mike

13. Neil Grant

Neil Grant Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's part of my darkroom with, due to space limitations, a combined 'dry/wet' side. The sink is framed by a perspex 'window' on the LHS and white perspex, back and RHS, to form a splash back.

Attached Files:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Quite good! Nice enlarger ,I've been using a little Paterson focusing aid like that for ever. Very nice.
    Best Mike

16. joby

joby Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's (two walls of) the darkroom i've been in for the last ~11 months.. doubles as the laundry laundry room. has gotten the job done! terrible faucet/sink basin set up, though. Unfortunately i'm moving at the end of the month and the future darkroom situation is unclear. Hoping for the best! IMG_7261.JPG IMG_7262.JPG

17. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. joby

joby Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Neal- if I don't get something set up soon after the move, I'll certainly stop by for a "print out" and possibly sign up for a month or two. Are you affiliated or a member?

19. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi joby,

Several years ago I used it quite a bit when I had to drive my Wife for classes. It was located across the street from the Polish Museum. If you go to a Print Out, I'm sure you will get some good stories. The new one is wonderful but after working in the city for almost 6 years my Wife no longer requires a chauffeur so I've only been there once since the move. Great people. I use Spot Hero for parking.

Neal Wydra