What's your latest new old camera ? (Part 2)

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by David A. Goldfarb, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Toyo

Toyo Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another Nikomat FTN.
    I use these with students as they are near bulletproof and so reliable. This one is so nice I might use it myself.
    I have been buying copies as good ones come along, because they are so cheap - although I am noticing that prices are going up. Perhaps word is out on their value for money.
    T

FTN.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. I've noticed the rise in prices also, but it seems to be a general trend that includes most all SLRs from the 70s and 80s -- mechanical cameras such as the Nikkormats and Canon FTbs, Pentax KXs and even K1000s, but also electronic cameras like the Canon AE-1 and A-1, Nikon FE/FE2, Pentax ME Super, etc. I think people are realizing that these classic cameras have withstood the test of time and are still very viable photographic tools. Many of these folks are new to film photography and are choosing cameras that they feel comfortable with in terms of size, features, available accessories, etc.

That's a beatiful Nikomat, by the way. I have a Nikon EL2 (replaced the Nikorrmat EL) that is also black, and also in mint condition. It's so clean, I'm afraid to take it out and use it . . . almost. :cool:

3. Toyo

Toyo Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, the EL2 is a lovely camera.
    When I started with students I wanted to standardise the cameras that we were using so that everyone was on the same page - and to make it easier on myself as teacher :smile:
    I looked for Pentax k1000s initially but found that the Nikomats were so much cheaper at the time.
    So I decided that the FTN was the best bang for buck and went with it.
    I have added others as I have found them and can run a class of seven or eight.
    That's enough when it comes to processing.
    Anyway, I am very pleased with my choice.
    T

4. markjwyatt

markjwyatt Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Picked this up on ebay. It was working but a little stiff, but got a roll through it. Had it CLA'd by Ross Yerkes. I am now shooting a roll and it is going very smoothly.

Contax_iia.JPG

5. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    A Minolta Autocord L. Excellent Rokkor f3.5 lens, the evergreen Tessar formula. Seikosha shutter. This is the model with the selenium exposure meter, (operating!) which uses an "interesting" implementation of the LV system. I'll use my hand held meter, thank you! My Autocord has been "rebuilt" with new leather, full CLA, shutter spot on, focus smooth (the focus lever is a weak point on these lovely boxes), clean lenses and VF. It looks like a decades old camera kept in a showcase, few use marks. Sadly the eveready case is pretty rough. I may attempt a re-sew job.

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Not a camera but a new to me Pentax Digital Spot Meter from eBay that is actually in Mint condition.

7. AndroclesC

AndroclesC Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    DSLR
    I bought another Minolta XD11, but this one has new(ish) leatherette, and it has recently been CLA'd.

8. Nikon F100 in almost mint condition. The grip on the right side is a little sticky -- or at least it was. I took it out today and shot a roll of Velvia with it and by the time I was finished, the stickiness was almost gone.

9. TomNY

TomNY Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I picked up a Mamiya Universal with 127mm lens along with 6x9 120 and polaroid backs. I'd sworn I wasn't going to buy anything else but I've got over 100 packs of FP3000B & FP100C and I wanted to pick something affordable that'll give me more control.

10. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah shoot your film while it is still good. Did you get the finder for the 127mm?

11. TomNY

TomNY Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I didn't. The instructions had some tips on using the 100mm rangefinder setting that seem to work fine for me. I just shot half a box of my oldest film, FP3000B, expired 06-2015, and it was fine. I had been looking at the Polaroid 600SE for the longest time but didn't want to buy something that's soon going to be a paperweight. I figure I'll pick up a 50mm lens for shooting 6x9.

12. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FP-3000B keeps well when refrigerated, I'm told, so 2015 should be no problem. I'm in the process of using FP-100C from 2016 and newer (using the oldest first) and it is perfect. Great colors, no issues.

I've got about 20 packs of both; it'll be a sad day when it's all gone. Wish I knew about this film even 10 years ago.

13. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

Bessa L.jpg
    Voigtlander Bessa L ( I had the finder and lens). It has no rangefinder and takes coldshoe viewfinders, It has a lightmeter and pc socket.
    It may be the lightweight champ for interchangeable lenses, I weighed some with finder and 35 mm lens:
    Leica II no lightmeter.....................560g
    Canon EOS Rebel Ti (300V)..........540g
    Olympus OM 10.............................640g
    Voigtlander Bessa L.......................505g

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i've almost bought a MINT looking shutter don't work well
    ( i'd have to take off the front plate and put a little oil on and dust bunnies out of the shutter )
    western camera company cyclone #3 falling plate camera sold with its original wooden box it was delivered in ... but i i'm on the fence.
    probably o its my favorite camera ... powered by a bed spring, and a tiny leaf spring,
    originally covered in beautiful morroccan leather .. a real beauty... mine is scraped down, i kind of have to hit it from time to time to
    get the plates unstuck to fall and friends asked me once " what were you doing with that birdhouse the other day "
    im on the fence cause its not really like a 20$ piece of junk i usually buy, it might be more than a dust bunny in the shutter
    cause it only operates on "t" and is kind of stiff .. and ive got clue what might be wrong with it once i get it .. which bums me out
    cause i want to use it, and not make it a shelf diva ...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  16. Andy38

Andy38 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A French plate camera made by "Gilles Frères" (Gilles Brothers) in ~ 1870.
    The lens is also a "Gilles Frères" but I don't know if a brother was optician...
    The interest is the plate holder has the exactly same dimensions as film holder from 13 x 18 LF "Gilles-Faller" made in ~ 1970.
    I have 2 other 13 x 18 Gilles-Faller cameras (1900 and 1950) with this Gilles-Fr_1.jpg same feature.
    Gilles descendants were loyal...

17. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Purchased today . Even the serial # matched to the box,

IMG_2462.jpg 1-IMG_2459.jpg

18. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    May you get as much joy from yours as I have had from mine:

upload_2018-10-27_21-40-39.png

I took this photo in 2010 after removing the last roll of Kodachrome I ever shot.

19. dances_w_clouds

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Yes I hope so too. Shot my first roll on manual/spot (50/1.8) and the next roll (200/f4) on Program. Developing the film today (hopefully) and see what results.

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't ignore the Aperture Preferred automatic - it is very useful.
    It will also give you off the film flash metering with the appropriate flash units. My preference is the Olympus T32.

21. dances_w_clouds

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    That will be my 3rd roll test. Just going through the operator's manual still and that is on the later chapters and then I have Creative Photography to go through yet. Quite a camera I must say. The lady I bought it off (Craigslist Vancouver) still has a very large collection of OM film cameras to sell. .

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  22. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought mine new in 1984 (I think) from Kerrisdale Cameras. I traded in my OM-1 for it.
    The OM-1 was bought new in 1974 - also from Kerrisdale Cameras.

23. Pentode

Pentode Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Picked up a Kalloflex and a second Kodak Retina IIa* last week.

*My first suffered lens damage at the hands of fungus. Still a nice lens, but not as contrasty as it used to be. The new one is in nice shape.

24. dances_w_clouds

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    One of the reasons why I purchased this one besides all the outstanding options they have. What was the price of them at that time ?
    1-IMG_2467.JPG

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a small possibility that I still have the original receipt in storage. If I come upon it, I'll be able to tell you.
    If not, there is no chance at all I will be able to remember!

26. dances_w_clouds

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    :D Now that I think of it 1984 WAS a long time ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.