What's your latest new old camera ? (Part 2)

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by David A. Goldfarb, Apr 30, 2015.

1. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was a Nizo camera, but the design came from their new owner Braun.

2. paulbarden

paulbarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thank you for that info, much appreciated. I assume you mean shutter speeds in reference to cocking the shutter, yes?

3. Toyo

Toyo Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes - DOH! - don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that.
    The Shutter has to be cocked by winding on the film before changing the shutter speed. There is no meter, so no film speed setting of course.
    Another feature that isn't obvious immediately is that the rewind knob (for rewinding the film into its canister after shooting the roll) is able to be telescoped upwards to allow purchase for the fingers. Still not as easy as a lever rewind ala SLR cameras - but not that difficult.
    Tom

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  4. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    What are you using now.....for 35mm.?

5. Well, when I take a 35mm camera out these days, unless I feel like shooting something different for a change, it's one of my trusty F-1n's.

6. Europan

Europan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Specto 88. Runs 67 seconds at 16 fps.

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First time I learn of this british manufacturer. They were into projecting and sound recording too.

8. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few days ago while going through my storage unit, I discovered the Kodak Brownie Holiday Camera I used as a pre-teen kid in the early 1960's. I show it here next to an Agfa Ansco D-6, which is what my father's family used upon coming to the U.S. from Hungary, and also a Kodak Baby Brownie, which is what my mother's family used upon coming to the U.S. from Syria.

IMAG10065-1.jpg

and here's my Nikonos V, which I've had for a while:

IMAG10069-1.jpg

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    My latest camera is a new to me used Hasselblad 30mm f/3.5 Fisheye curvilinear lens. An interesting counterpoint to the Hasselblad 903 SWC rectilinear camera.

10. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will be interesting. It's essentially equivalent to a 19mm in 135 format, which isn't an outrageous fisheye perspective. A photographer I know uses 12mm and 14mm on his Nikon, he loves ultra wide angle. He photographs driftwood and rocks at the beach. Looking at his photos, they look perfectly natural, not distorted, and you feel as if you're standing right there at the beach.

11. Yep, there's no substitute for the feeling of being placed inside a photo that a good ultrawide can provide.

12. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's been so much talk about these cameras lately that when I saw this one for an extremely low price, I just had to buy it. All the features seem to work (including flash and self-timer), but I have yet to develop the film. It is true that this is a fun camera to use. The only weakness is that the battery door on the bottom has a tendency to pop open with those AA's in there - a piece of tape fixes that while using the camera. Not bad for a 33 year old camera - Nikon's first autofocus camera.

IMAG10132-1.jpg

13. I've never paid much attention to Nikon's P&S cameras. It's nice that it has a 35/2.8 lens. Reasonably fast and 35mm makes for a nice "street camera" focal length. Thus my thinking that it should be a natural as a street camera. Let us know how the images turn out.

So, what, Theo -- you into reading Cyrillic? Like War and Peace in the original?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My family escaped from communist Hungary; I learned Russian at a young age and my first job (here in the U.S.) was as a translator of Soviet scientific and military documents. I still do it occasionally. I have lots of Russian books, magazines, and newspapers. Naturally, I know Hungarian and a few other languages, because I'm fond of linguistics and language.

There's never been much money in translation work. Lots of time pressure, little respect for doing quality translations, low pay. So, I got a Bachelor degree in Mathematics and Computer Science from UCLA instead. Engineering pays better. Often is fun. I'm retired after over 40 years working.

16. SteveinAlaska

SteveinAlaska Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just bought an Argus Model A, serial number indicates a 1940 model. It joins a stable of Zeiss & Voightlander 120 folders dating from early 1930s to 1950.

17. Wow, I doff my hat to you. And here I am, with a BA and MA in Linguistics, and the two degrees haven't mattered to much, employment wise. So you're right enough about that. My specialty language was Japanese, but I never had the opportunity to experience immersion, which is the best way to become fluent, so my understanding these days is spotty. I did some TESOL tutoring (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and SAT Prep instruction, and that was about it. Actually, I enjoyed teaching the math more than the English with the prep classes. I could have probably found a gig teaching at a community college, but the job descriptions available whenever I looked were not very appealing. I'm also a writer, artist, and a musician, and I've tried to make money at these skills. Made some money writing -- about cameras, no less -- but nothing to really bring home the bacon, as it were. Ended up working in the "awl bidness" for a number of years. Retired now also. But I wouldn't mind finding a gig that would interest me, just to stay busy -- like TESOL, for example.

18. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    rolliecord_estsy 1.jpg

Rolleicord 5 - Model K3C. Not here yet, but looking forward to using it...

19. Bob Eskridge

Bob Eskridge Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Expecting any day now ----- Minolta 24 Rapid. A consumer grade rangefinder made in 1965 producing square images on 35mm film in Agfa Rapid cartridges.

20. Skeeterfx20

Skeeterfx20 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Honeywell Pentax H1a with meter and 50 mm 1.8 Super Takumar. This was my first SIR that I bought in 1971. I always wanted to replace it and regretted selling it later in life.

21. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I have your 1995-1996 edition - and it's been read many times. I really like that it provides details, such as Nikon F2 slow speeds, rather than just prices.

Japanese - seems perfect for going there, teaching English, and writing about cameras and the camera culture there. I know there are APUG/Photrio people who are Westerners and live there. Then there's Japan Camera Hunter. But - maybe you have commitments or a situation that does not make it practical to live there.

Anyway...

I've been going through my storage unit looking through boxes that've been packed for decades. Maybe my old Instamatic will appear.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  22. Well, I'm glad the book has been of some value to you. It wasn't just about prices, after all.

Yeah, unfortunately, I'm too old to go abroad to teach. They practice age discrimination in Japan. And China. And Taiwan. I'm seriously thinking about getting a teaching gig locally though, where I can't be discriminated against -- openly, at least. Where I live we have about a bazillion folks who could stand to learn more English, so it shouldn't be all that hard, I'm thinking.

On topic (sorta): No new cameras to report, but I did score a minty Canon Motor Drive MA for my AE-1 Program. It arrived a couple days ago. Perfect condition.

23. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The solidity, the metal, the chrome, the heritage... I couldn't resist it. Nikkormat EL:

IMAG10248-1.jpg

The EL is essentially a robust Nikon FE with real mirror lock up and a real battery test button. It will meter pre-AI lenses wide open. It lacks the FE's aperture readout, lacks an explicit 8-second delay (*), and lacks an explicit EV compensation dial (adjust ASA instead); it also has its battery in a compartment at the bottom of the mirror box. However, the feel and workmanship on this camera is outstanding. So, this is my substitute for an FE; I already have an FE2.

Also, for some reason, I'm addicted to the meter readout in the viewfinder of the EL/FE/FE2/FM3a. It's pleasant and not distracting. The Canon EF/F-1/F-1N readouts are nice, too.

(*) it's been said you can get 8 seconds by selecting the gap between 4 seconds and B; I haven't tried it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  24. r-brian

r-brian Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Picked up two cameras at an estate sale this weekend A 1951 Exakta VX with a 58mm f2.0 Biotar in perfect working condition. And a 1955 Minolta Autocord MXS in excellent cosmetic condition but (the big but) the shutter release is not working. Will probably have if overhauled.

25. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, there was no reason to resist it at all, old fellow... It would actually be a sin to leave there a Nikkormat in such outstanding conditions!

I also own a Nikkormat FTn, a very late model with "Apollo-style" film advance and self-timer levers. Despite owning other 35mm cameras, this is the one that I pick up and have fun using when in travel most of the times!

Technically, what strikes me about Nikkormats is that they have a mirror lock-up feature which is actually way better than that of the blazoned Nikon F.

26. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last two new, old cameras are the Bronica 645 (65mm lens) and a cla'd/new bellowed Agfa Isolette II from certo6. Both cameras are to allow for hiking, skiiing with a smaller medium format camera. First few rolls out of Bronica show the camera to be excellent. I have completed the first roll from the Agfa yet. The Agfa is beautiful: certo6 made it look new. Can't wait to see images from the first developed roll. I'm excited that the Agfa can slip into a jacket pocket.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.