Kodak Reintroduces Ektachrome.

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by eyetwist, Jan 5, 2017.

1. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What a devil. ....."macfred" Hope my Smartphone isn't infected from it when I
    trust to quote you now.

To Ferrania : It seams to me they would need $10.000.000 in addition to their
    Kickstarter Campaigne.

And now P 30 with scratches is their last hope to get money. .......many many
    doubts on it .......

with regards

2. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kodak and kodak-alaris are basically planning to split a batch of Ektachrome, part as Super 8 for the Super 8 Camera Kodak themselves are marketing and the rest for Alaris to sell in 35mm Still format. No word on any 16mm movie stock. presumably the Still film may have the extra lubrication that would work for Super8. But that should not cause any issues.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you have a reference Charles?

4. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I doubt that Kodak or Alaris is looking at this as "splitting a batch" Ektachrome is coming back for good hopefully. Fuji ,who knows? Kodak and Alaris are sitting in a good place to bring this back.

5. Actually no. I stopped using slide film in the early 1980s.

6. Europan

Europan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I had my way with Kodak, I’d try to pour Ektachrome over the market in every possible manner
    and switch on every combination one can think of: hundred footers in DeVry Lunchboxes, Eyemos
    or Kinamos; 135 portions on Leica, Retina, Contax, and whatnot; 120 film next to a Hasselblad and
    Agfa Isolette; 16mm rolls laced up in Revere, Ciné-Kodak Special, Arriflex, Mitchell; sheets in
    the hands of an attractive photographer besides her view camera; a school class all holding up a
    8mm camera; maybe even in Super-8 cartridges. Kodak did a bad job with that announced Super-8
    camera, I’d bury it, if I could. They should foremost show people using projectors, Carousel, Pageant,
    Brownie, and all the others.

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    europan
    i couldn't agree more !
    i've been saying the same thing
    for almost 2 decades.
    it makes one wonder if their advertising VEEP
    has been asleep at the switch for the past 17 years.

8. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    only that 7285 was "re-engineered" ektachrome 100. and they made the announcement Jointly.

9. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure that they are similar enough though. I would have to look it up and also consult with Bob Shanebrook.

PE

10. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would be interested in what you find. The sort of antistatic/back lubricant used on 2383 SHOULD be compatible with still use. of course that may not make sense on an acetate base. I think it is related at least in function to the back coating on 5222, which is very popular for still use.

Kodak only really seems to be interested in the Super 8 Version, at least from the press releases.

11. It would be good if Ektachrome were to only come back for Super 8, which I used to use. It would be even better if it also came out for 35mm, 120 and sheet film.

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Kodak Alaris Reintroduces Iconic EKTACHROME Still Film

Beloved Chrome Slide Film to be Available in Fourth Quarter 2017

ROCHESTER, N.Y. and LAS VEGAS, NV January 5, 2017 – Kodak Alaris announced at CES 2017 that it would be reintroducing the iconic KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME Color Reversal Film for professional and enthusiast photography. The new EKTACHROME film will support 135-36x camera formats and be available in fourth quarter 2017."
    There are separate press releases from Eastman Kodak (movie film) and Kodak Alaris (135 film).
    The entire release: https://www.kodakalaris.com/en-us/a...ris-reintroduces-iconic-ektachrome-still-film

13. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    to clarify, they (EK) are interested in Super 8, not regular 8 and 16mm. Allaris is interested in 35mm Slide film.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. twelvetone12

twelvetone12 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If I understood how the whole EK - Alaris deal works, I think EK can only market the movie film, and the 135 must be marketed and branded by Alaris (even if it is finished by EK). So I'm not surprised that EK mentions only super8 and Alaris only 135.

16. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wonder if Kodak and Alaris would merge, if the combined companies would be better set to exploit the brand heritage. The UK Pension fund could be served, and the synergies of the two firms could open up more technology.
    Just a thought. Maybe there's nothing here, but if George Eastman was still around he would be trying to integrate everything under one roof. Probably legally impossible???

17. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If George Eastman was around there would be no more Kodak Film. He would have cut all film and moved digital. Ease of photography for the masses was his goal.

18. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, probably financially impossible.
    Photographic film and paper and chemicals will never again create the same sorts of profits that motivate the current investors in what remains of Eastman Kodak.

19. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think you are absolutely correct. He would have bought every potential competitive technology. Ol' George didn't put all his eggs in one basket.

20. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    not really ///

he would have exploited / stolen other people's technology and they were his own ( as he did with roll film ) ...
    he would have never let the processing and film divisions be unadertised for 20+ years ... and he would
    have actually made and sold cameras ...

21. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Something something winners.

Something something winners and losers.

22. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not sure what you both are getting at. Eastman followed a model similar to Microsoft. Anytime he saw a photographic company growing into a potential competitor he would buy it. And yes vertical integration was his thing. Thus Eastman Tennessee, now Eastman Chemical. Make your own everything.

23. Based on what? George Eastman never make a statement nor wrote anything about digital imaging. Sounds like wishful thinking.

24. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hardly surprising he never wrote about digital as he died in 1932:D

pentaxuser

25. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Digital in 1932 had something to do with hands and fingers.

No sh*t Sherlock

26. Oh, I thought maybe you were channeling him or something spiritual like that.