Darkroom portraits

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by argentic, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well for instance, the ability to lightproof sink compartments means that I can coat material with light sensitive solutions and by putting down the wooden lightproof cover, they can then dry within an air space in total darkness.

2. shutterclank

shutterclank Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    in a dark room

i just put some of my darkroom portraits into the darkroom portraits gallery.

but here they are.

i have to leitz/leica enlargers. one v35 and a focomat 2c. my darkroom "sink" is a industrial table that i have plastic on to protect from chemicals. i have the tools hung on the shelf above it.

oh, i also have an american flag hanging around...

Chris!

Attached Files:

3. dambo29

dambo29 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Agree with "Argentic" --- love the wet side of your place.

4. dambo29

dambo29 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi George,
    I'm in the process of designing my new darkroom and I'm wondering what to do about the sink. I want a stainless steel one but all I find are terribly expensive. Did you buy yours or make it yourself? I'm considering making mine out of wood and just using an epoxy to water-proof it.

Your darkroom looks beautiful by the way!

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may be able to find a good used one on Craigslist. Picked up an 8ft for $100 a while back. Would cost more to make one IMHO.

6. OP
    OP
    argentic

argentic Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I picked up a 3 1/2 by 13 feet stainless sink for 100 € a few months ago from a professional photographer. I had to cut it in half to transport it on the roof of my car for 800 km. But it was worth the effort. Now I have to find someone who welds stainless.

7. ozwoodnbrass

ozwoodnbrass Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Darkroom on wheels

Hey , Has anyone put a darkroom in a caravan ??
    Drag it from house to house. Shoot to shoot !

Attached Files:

8. chioque

chioque Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. manet

manet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice installation, thanks for the link chioque.

Have à look HERE.
    But,it is necessary to buy also a truck !

jp

10. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A bit different to this June 2006 pic as the 1947 DeVere 54 has gone and another Leitz Ic is on that bench - The bench for the 1947 DV is now used for slicing off silver jelly from a 42" wide roll - The door, off pic' to the left is being moved to the end so I can extend the dry bench for a contact printing frame and a DeVere 504 enlarger - The big bugger enlarger at the end is a DeVere 5108E for 10x8"

jbaphoto060604B22.jpg

The deep tank of replenished D76d from 1985 is still the deep tank of replenished D76d from 1985 - Like me it improves with age

11. nikoniak

nikoniak Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    great darkrooms we have in here.:smile:

12. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My First Darkroom

DSC_1219_DxO.jpg

I have converted the walk-in closet in my bedroom into a darkroom. It's home to my Leitz Focomat V35 and Opemus V enlargers, which were surplus to requirements at the local college of photography. They stand on a custom workbench, which has a 20cm (8") high central divider to separate the wet and dry sides. The wet side has a 4cm (1.6") rim around the top, to contain any spilt chemicals. I also installed the electric outlets and safelight. Phase 2 will include ventillation and a sink, which I plan to install beneath the boarded-up window under the clock. There is a small alcove on the far right with shelves that I use to store equipment - camera equipment and lenses are stored in airtight containers with silica gel dehumidifiers due to the tropical climate. Chemicals are kept in the fridge in the garage, although I would like to add a bar fridge in the darkroom when I can.

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eight years after the original post, new darkrooms keep appearing. Keep 'em coming.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. manet

manet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a good omen for the future of the argentic photography.

Nice corner of darkroom andrew :smile:

jp

16. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks JP. It's... umm... the whole darkroom - but I think you knew that :smile:
    - A

17. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two...

Just got mine done ( middle photo ), about 15 square feet of working space in the storage closet of our 820 square foot 2-bedroom apartment, vertically stacked trays, over 2,000 rolls of film in the fridge / freezer combo to the right. The 16x20 Eco-Wash connects to a diverter valve in our shower. Have been printing for two days and already sold three prints, 10 x 10's from Hassy.

My other darkroom goes over 100 MPH, gets close to 20MPG when not doing those speeds, has 235 watts of solar, a freezer, fridge and lets us stay out in the field for not days but weeks in the same location. I don't print in it yet but do soup film.

Attached Files:

18. dambo29

dambo29 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi ROL, I'm in the process of designing my own darkroom and the whole ventilation system is the one I need more help with. Can you specify which split system you have?

Thanks,
    Alejandro

19. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes ROL, I would be very interested in more specifics also.

Roger

20. dambo29

dambo29 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Positive pressure question

I totally agree with what you're saying in that a positive pressure system is better, I just don't know how to create it. I'm currently designing my darkroom and the whole ventilation (and room temperature) system is the one I need most help with. I of course want to put an exhaust above and real close to the sink (thinking of using a Doran A1212 fan) and then using one or two louvers in the opposite wall so as not to create a vacuum. So I feel I'm creating a negative pressure environment which is what I don't want.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Alejandro

21. dambo29

dambo29 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is the funniest post I've read on APUG! --- Thanks for a great laugh.

22. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two!

That is true dedication!

Neal Wydra

23. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Push processing Tri X would be a snap at 100mph.

Mike

24. John W

John W Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Alejandro,

You definitely want an exhaust fan. A common approach for positive net pressure is to use two fans, one for exhaust and one for intake. The exhaust fan should move less air per minute than the intake fan. Likewise, you will want to make sure that the intake fan has a replaceable (or cleanable) filter on the air inlet, to prevent it blowing dust into the darkroom. For my part, I'm working for a period of time without the intake fan. I'll install one in a later upgrade. I'll need to be diligent about cleaning the darkroom, and may get a HEPA in-room air filter.

As for the fans, I have a Panasonic WhisperWall fan in the darkroom and upgraded a bathroom to a WhisperLite. These fans are fantastic -- they move air well yet are very quiet when in use.

-- John

25. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The darkroom would have one large blower blowing into the darkroom and pressurizing it. The 'exhaust' above the sink doesn't need to have a fan - it is just a duct leading to outside of the darkroom. Since the pressure in the darkroom is higher the air flows out the duct carrying the 'fumes' out with it - I don't know why you would want to do that, though. "I love the smell of fixer in the morning".

If needed, a small 'assist' fan could be added to the exhaust duct, but it should not overpower the main blower that is pressurizing the darkroom.

26. dambo29

dambo29 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks to both Nicholas and John!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.