Darkroom portraits

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by argentic, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robbalbrecht

robbalbrecht Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This thread is great. I'm working on building a small darkroom in our two car garage. We rent so I can't do anything too permanent. I need some kind of walls and water and power over to the side I'm building on. It's going to be a challenge but I think it will be worth it. I had a 4x5 enlarger with a bunch of accessories given to me last year and I'm getting the itch to use it. Thanks for the great pix and ideas in this thread. Oh yeah and any input or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. jbphoto

jbphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It doesn't matter

The most important thing in your darkroom is the photographer. Edward Weston had a contact printing frame and a lightbulb. His images were made in his mind first then printed simply in the highest quality image possible. Just something to think about.

3. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  4. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert, absolutely fantastic.

5. manet

manet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, great place, fantastic !

6. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That darkroom is balls out.

7. jbrianfoto

jbrianfoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Robert -

You have a very fine work space here. One of the best thought out I've ever seen. Wow.

I want to make duck boards for my sinks too - what kind of wood is that, and how do you seal it? Do you flood the sink a little to keep the temp constant around your trays (then if you do, does the wood try to float)? Lastly, do you run workshops in your lab? With that many enlargers and that kind of space you sure could! Again, this is the finest lab I've seen here. Bravo!

8. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Perhaps have a look at the Nova darkrrom tent: http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/329/Nova_Darkroom_Tent.html

9. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Enlarger Cabinet

With luck I've correctly attached a picture of my enlarger cabinet. I can use my enlarger in the garage and still keep it safe from dust and moisture. I run a dehumidifier when necessary and the cabinet is pretty well sealed.

Neal Wydra

Attached Files:

10. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sealed garages actually aren't that bad humidity wise. Drywall really helps.

11. robbalbrecht

robbalbrecht Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. Neal, I like the cabinet idea. I hadn't thought about that before.

My original plan was to build some thin walls much like theater flats and wedge then in between the ceiling and floor. For now I may just try waiting until night time to print as it gets pretty darn dark in my garage.

12. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have visited the "Darkroom Portraits" thread many times over the past few years when the reality of having my own dedicated darkroom was a long way off. This weekend I completed (I'll use that word loosely) work on a once bedroom that I can now call a functional darkroom. There's still things to do, an exhaust fan to install (the wireing is in place), some wall cabinetry, and I'll install a Hass water temperature regulator in time. The WWAD license plate was a X-mas gift from my wife that she had made for me locally after getting the idea from the APUG store.

Attached Files:

13. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice work! What did you use for the table tops? Formica? And how did you join the lumber for the bases?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Chuck! Congrats! Has been a thrill and motivating to follow your progress in the Gallery this winter! Thanks so much for the update, it looks amazing, the ability to print in the day and pop those windows open to see and evaluate a print w daylight is such a wonderful attribute! Enjoy!

16. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks,
    I used a 4x8 sheet of formica purchased at Lowe's, laminated to 3/4 inch MDF board-- I used deck screws to screw all the lumber together.

17. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I built another sink base this weekend, which matches my other sink and enlarging table. It's put together with the Simpson strong tie connectors. These are really easy to work with; just call all your sticks and screw them together. May be a bit of overkill, but they are rock solid.

For the legs, I added screw inserts that create a thread for a 1/4" screw for leveling out the base. Also keeps the lumber an inch or so off the floor to avoid moisture problems, not that my basement is moist or anything. :laugh:

My new XLG should be here this week and then I will no longer have any excuse for procrastination, although I'm sure I will think of one by then.

Attached Files:

18. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Good stuff Parker, you sure seem busy lately, moving out gear you no longer use...the XLG what you been making room for?

19. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, thank you, I have been very busy buying and selling a bunch of darkroom gear so I could afford the XLG and not have to pull a wad of cash out of my business (which my better half would have frowned upon, with good reason).

Still have a small pile of stuff and three enlargers to get rid of, but shouldn't be much of a problem. Looking forward to getting to work now! I've got years worth of images to print.

20. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Looks good------I have Simpson strong ties in all the hidden inside corners of both the dry-side table and the sink stand providing structural support. But deck screws provide the actual binding connections.

21. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you have a second 2x4 running behind the front on the dry side, to connect the cross beam with the legs? It's nice and clean, just wondering how you made it all stick together.

After building three of these over the years, I think the connectors I used for the bottom would be more than adequate and save a few $$ to boot. Still have one more large work table to build, so all the lessons learned can go to work there.

22. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Your darkroom looks great, bet your excited to have "it done". The Hass will be a nice addition, I had one in my old darkroom, very nice, set it and for get it. Congratulations!!!

Roger

23. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    yes, there's one 2x4 spanning the front on the inside, then, you see two center vertical 2x4s----the one on the left was the original , the one on the right was installed to accomodate the 4 ft. shelf below the enlarger. Then I filled in the spaces with two other 2x4s, those two were actually an after thought. If you go to the Darkroom Portraits Gallery I have some pictures in there of the dry-side frame. After that photo, I installed more front to back bracing on the top side and the bottom side, it clearly needed more before installing the plywood bottom and the MDF top.

24. gustavlrssn

gustavlrssn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    6085932176_85a2ea9028_b.jpg

6085927354_f3c725cdef_b.jpg

This darkroom is located in the basement of a student residential building and there are logbooks from the 60's in here, so it has a long history.

25. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Some knave snuck a scanner into your darkroom! :laugh:

26. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    gustavlrssn - Beautiful! Is that cedar wood? Must smell wonderful if so!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.