What is "Fine Art"?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by thefizz, Sep 13, 2006.

1. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They show your work if they think hey can sell it.

2. RalphLambrecht

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    [QUOTEIt'd be a lot easier and less controversial just to ask the question "What is art?"[/QUOTE]
    OK ,let's try
    art

is the conscious expression or application of creative

human skill and imagination, producing aesthetic or expressive work, primarily appreciated for its beauty or emotional and expressive

power by a group of people.

It is art when you,the artist, says it is and, it is fine-art, when others agree with you and are willing to pay for it.

3. jnantz

jnantz Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yeah i know thta guy was brilliant !
    and overcame a lot of obstacles to feed his soul

4. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thinking back a significant number of years.. I remember hearing a much experienced photographer (whose photographs were much admired by all who had the chance to have a look). he stated that any photograph that was pinned up on the wall with either a few thumb tacks or sticky tape that 'caught one's eye' enough to make the viewer get up close to see the composition, detail, tonal range and and 'admire' what they could observed (within the image), could be defined as 'fine art'

Ken

5. RalphLambrecht

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In my case, they probably say BS artist.

6. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    "Fine Art" is whatever you want it to be. And for that matter, so is "fake art". It's all about posturing, the "art of the bluff". And I sure wouldn't drop any of my own money on 99% of it. The other 1% is what I care about.

7. Berkeley Mike

Berkeley Mike Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Digital
    After the apocalypse fine art may be Dogs Playing Poker.

8. RalphLambrecht

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    tall question! To me fine-art photography is photography with the utmost care to the highest aesthetic level, using the best and most archival materials mounted and matted to museum standards.

9. jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    its just snobbism, lablels to boost one's ego, snarkiness
    haughtiness and a wheelbarrow full of malarkey.
    "fine art" these days is whatever the person calling
    something "fine art" wants it to be. personally
    i fine anyone who uses that word infront of anything
    whether it is a painting or a photo, sculpture to be kind of obnoxious.
    there is no such thing as a fine art photographer and never has been...
    seeing "fine art" in the traditional sense had nothing to do with photography
    ( ever ) and for "painting" it probably died in edwardian times. these days its all ego and marketing.

10. Berkeley Mike

Berkeley Mike Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Digital
    In many forms of expression there is a cadre of people who believe that they are the properly cultivated people who can decide on what "Fine art" is, to the exclusion of all others. And the rest of us plebs?

11. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that is a misreading. Historically, the term "fine art" was intended to simply distinguish between the visual arts and the applied arts, say between painting and pottery. Needless to say, over the years the distinction has become blurred to the point it is no longer very useful. I don't pay much attention to it. I am not a big believer in the conspiracy theories related to its use though.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  12. Berkeley Mike

Berkeley Mike Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Digital
    We disagree but I think it is a temporal distinction. We are talking ab out NOW.

13. tedr1

tedr1 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Art is what gets made by anyone with craft skills.
    Fine art is the result when the maker has unusually well-developed skills.
    But this only raises another question: what are unusually well-developed skills? They might include physical skills with paper, pencil, paint brush, spray paint can, chisel, stencil, clay, printing plate, camera etc. They might also include intangibles such as choice of subject matter, the combination of the medium used and the choice of subject, the attitude of the maker to the subject and the audience, the purpose of the work, and so on.
    But you probably knew that already.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't much matter either way, does it?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  16. Berkeley Mike

Berkeley Mike Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Digital
    I think it does.

Changing technology and methods in our craft have always been a source of friction; resistance, shallow involvement. These things are constantly being thrashed about. In a contemporary venue the old values are thrashed as well. Values may be redefined in terms of what some think is an absolute aesthetic or what others feel is outmoded.

So, yeah, the temporal element can matter. The next question might be: Did values change or did we finally work hard enough to meet the old standard with our work.

And then there is the definition of Fine Art....this is where I came in. :wink:

17. jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so what does reworking new stratagies and technologies old and new values have to do with current advertising terminology ?
    i mean look at anyone who claims they are a "fine art photographer" they are all lanscapers who think they are AA ?!
    seems to me there is more to fine art than AA style photographers ... i was listneing to lectures today about russian constructavism from a MOMA exhibit
    if you ask me that has more to do with fine art than any AA style photography : DOWN WITH MANILA FILE FOLDERS LONG LIVE CARD CATALOGS !

18. Berkeley Mike

Berkeley Mike Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Digital
    Everything! This is shallow to be sure but selling cutting edge understanding is a huge market...if we are defining Fine Art in marketing terms or popular terms. In any case, what we can experience and value NOW is all we know.

Is there some absolute reference point? Was the Mona Lisa a masterpiece before the paint was dry? Would the Venus de Milo be a masterpiece with its arms still attached?

19. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's how I see it. Fine art is art created for art's sake. It's something without utilitarian function. It's counter would be craft. Craft is also made with a focus on quality, but it's made to serve a function.

That's why I wouldn't consider a typical portrait (even of pretty models), product photograph, or fashion photography fine art. It's not typically created with the sole purpose of being art in mind, even if it's created with artistic ideals. There are always exceptions, of course.

Fine art photography usually serves no purpose other than to be a means of expression of the artist. The photograph itself is just the language through which the true art, the idea, is expressed.

A lot of people get hung up on the idea that "fine art" has to be good art. It doesn't. The adjective "fine" isn't a descriptor of quality, but rather of magnitude of purpose.

20. jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i understand what you are saying, and it is all hype as far as i am concerned ... it has no meaning anymore
    because that is what everything is, just empty descriptions of "stuff" trying to be the top of the pile. its like the word "cute" ..
    or like my eupropean friends might say about americans using the word "love".
    maybe i am just jaded .. i remember a story told to me by a masterful artist friend who used to rent from this guy who
    a self declared "fine artist" and he used to look down his nose at
    everything my friend made as if it was all garbage and this guy had his easel and beret and smock...
    and the paintings he made were atrocious... but he was a "fine artist" who made "fine art" blech!
    with regards to the mona lisa .. no clue, but i know it was in napoleon's bathroom, its was just a painting ...
    and the venus with arms no clue but i know it would probably be in a conqueror's hoard.

if you look at the eastern anitolian kingdom of Ani some pay thousands of dollars
    to go there on an eco-tourist trip the guides make up some nonsense about who made the city that
    that is filled priceless relics of medevil freestanding domed churches ...
    the locals steal the stones from to make a shed &c...
    some say the stones are priceless art others say they are just stones ... and no amount of re-education will help.
    it all boils down to jsg boggs and his bills...

21. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now it's just a marketing term. There always have been, and always will be, arbiters of art and fashion. Don't like them, don't follow them. Who care is some rich guy pays a millions dollars for something you think is junk? How does that affect you? The test of time will sort the wheat from the chaff.

22. Berkeley Mike

Berkeley Mike Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Digital
    Maybe it is marketing for Art Schools to induce MFAs to enroll.

23. blockend

blockend Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree. People acquire and trade lots of things for large amounts of money that has no relevance for most of us.

24. jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Emery Blagdon ...

25. trondareo

trondareo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am interested in art, not fine art. I went to art school to study design, but never encountered "Fine" art until I explored Photography. I think the concept represents beautiful images with as high technical precision as possible. Fine art photography is more of a style than academic art, although the images can take considerable effort to make. I consider academic art the creation of image or object to convey an emotion, a meaning or an experience of some phenomena of human being. The images do not need to conform to standards of beauty, technical precision or to a single media to be called art.

26. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.