What is "Fine Art"?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by thefizz, Sep 13, 2006.

1. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pictorial photography is a style rather than overall term referring to images that meet David's criteria. There's a good summary on Wikipedia that covers the typical elements of that approach.

I just avoid the words 'fine art' altogether. My business card says, "John Voss, Photographs". It will only take a second or so for anyone looking at my blog to realize I'm not the guy to hire for their wedding, bar mitzvah, or other event. :wink:

2. tedr1

tedr1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Fine Art Photography is big and is expensive and is sold in limited editions in art dealer showrooms.

3. rthollenbeck

rthollenbeck Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Fine Art - because they know what "Real" art is hence they are Artist...... if someone refers to your work as art- that's only because even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then.

4. Greg Heath

Greg Heath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know what Fine A** is, so I am guessing that Beauty and Art is in the eye of the beholder ? :redface:

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. larfe

larfe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This ^^

"Fine art" is just a term to differentiate it from the forms of art such as gymnastics, sailing etc...

7. Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fine art is defined buy the person doing the describing. Bluegrass and the Bach family are both fine art to various listeners.

8. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After my 'official' retirement with some 60+ years under the dark-cloth of which 20+ were spent as a Board Certified 'Registered Biological Photographer. I was 'challenged by my daughter to earn my BFA at the nearby university (as a means of 'staying of of the rocking chair and away from daytime television'). I graduated at the ripe old age of 73. I was somewhat 'surprised' to find out that 'digital craftsmanship took second place to the "concept" and "meaning" when those images were stuck up on the wall for class critique and final 'grade' .It soon became quite obvious that some students would present what they knew the 'type' of images the Professor had preference.
    I guess I am allowed can now regard myself as 'artist' and so ... The 'business card' I have handy in my wallet when being 'interviewed by one of the members of the local constabulary (who have, on numerous occasion, stopped and 'demanded' an answer to their "what I am 'doing?/ do you have permission?" question), So.. I hand tem a 'card' which has the word "Photographist" under my name. and I politely inquire as to whether I am in breach of some 'unwritten' law...or ordinance.... most times they hand the card back and 'quietly' walk away. there have been one or two who have asked to ''have a quick 'peek' at the GG under the dark-cloth and quietly exclaimed "wow! that is neat"

Ken

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  9. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Me to

10. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, good point.

11. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    This is the sort of thing that reminds me our current society is mostly a piece of steaming dog turd, and that people 50+ years ago really were living more civilized, humane, real existences.
    I like this response - most people now would bellow their self-righteous outrage on social media. I know which I prefer...

12. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This doesn't really answer the question but most photographers that I have known who set themselves up as "Fine Art" photographers, spent more getting business cards printed than they ever made selling pictures. Of course I don't live in a large city where things might be different but I doubt it. In spite of what people say, I find that people who buy pictures buy them because they like them, not because the photographer calls him/her selves; "Fine Art Photographers". But nowadays, with egos so important, maybe I am wrong............Not that any of us have overactive egos......Regards!

13. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    highly aesthetic photographs prepared with the utmost care and prepared and presented on the best materials(paper stock, mounting boards etc.).worthy of being accepted by galleries, museums and collectors.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    +1
    Additionally, mastery of technical concepts and knowledge of the subject, whether it be portraiture (or its many derivatives), landscape (especially) of mixed-style (multiexposure/multiprocess).

16. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what about commerical work ...
    i know some photojournalistic imagery
    over the years has been hailed as "fine art photography"
    or is it only "fine art photography" AFTER it has served its purpose
    as a commerical illustration,vogue cover, glad-hand-handshake, wartime editorial,
    and/or "wartime editorial photograph that was found/ discovered to be photoshopped/HDR'd overly manipulated
    and later called a 'composite image' " or stolen work like the marlboro man or images gathered from instagram printed and presented
    at a gallery ( currated by someone else ), and i haven't even mentioned works by the russian constructavists or people like man ray or miroslav tichy )
    ... some of these things are considered "fine art photography" and they do not fall into the restrictive categories presented in this thread ...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  17. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can't chrome-plate a turt!

18. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe you haven’ t but plenty are sold for big bucks!

19. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does it really matter how you define it?. Will your definition have any effect on whether a gallery which shows photography will show your work?

20. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can make a Lith print of it :D

Ian

21. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here in Germany the term is not even used.

22. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Galleries that hang Miroslav Tichy's work would disagree:

23. Berkeley Mike

Berkeley Mike Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    Fine Art is certainly not limited to film.

24. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Uh, yea. In fact the inclusion of photography in that term is pretty recent.

25. Arthurwg

Arthurwg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love Tichy's work. He certainly was an "artist." And BTW, he did go to art school.

Back in the day they used to say, "The Art is the Idea."

26. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.