Statement from Harman Technology regarding recent sale to Pemberstone Ventures Ltd.

Discussion in '[Partner] ILFORD PHOTO' started by Sean, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    So why not start with our sponsor FreeStyle? Take a look at their board members and start with someone on their board.

2. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This can become self-fulfilling prophesy. If everyone takes that attitude and approach, sure enough, the company will go bust. I think we should all keep ourselves aware of what options there are as to materials and sources, but I certainly wouldn't cut off a source I've been buying from just because something "might" happen to them.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Dave T nailed the loser attitude in his reference.

4. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Agreed entirely with this (and with Pentaxuser's post above).

Just carry on as normal, keep buying the products you trust and enjoy using (Ilford, Kodak, whatever you prefer) and stop wasting time worrying and speculating.

The one prophesy which will be 100% true is that, in 100 years time, it won't matter to any of us. :smile:

5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am not clear how your suggestion of starting with Freestyle has any relevance to wanting Pemberstone/Ilford to give us a replacement for the function which Simon Galley performed on behalf of Harman/ Ilford?

Can you explain? Thanks

pentaxuser

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The FreeStyle board is a very talented group. Start talking with them and see where it leads. It could be to another Simon Galley. It would be hard to find talent like that in one place. It is a place to start.

7. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But that is too easy Sal. There has just got to be something wrong!

What will all the conspiracy theorists do if business continues as usual. :D

BTW - I just recently purchased a large amount of Ilford Delta Pro 3200 film in both 120 and 35mm. (Gotta love that film!) And guess what? It showed up just as quickly as it did before the sale.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In addition, David and his staff have indicated that they would love to keep receiving the APUG postcards that used to be sent to Simon's attention.

As much as anything, I think that interest bodes well.

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, we already got Mirko Böddekker at Apug... But sad (or good) enough lately he rathrer spents timer for his enterprise (and other things) than posting at forums.

11. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    "GO ILFORD!"

(There you go, I hope you can sleep again now, unless you're developing rolls of FP4+ in Caffenol-C-M all night ...)

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

12. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Try today in parliament
    Or
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rcjpags7JT8

13. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good lord. Why do so many people react like this? Why does everybody think that Pemberstone would buy a going concern and then just close it up? With a little research, like maybe looking at their website to see what they do to make their living, it becomes readily apparent that a company like Harman fits into their business model. One side of the business owns and manages commercial real estate. The other side operates wildly unrelated, small, niche-market companies just like Harman - an injection-molding company, a tool and die distributer, a ski vacation travel agency, and one the makes stickers, along with several others. They are privately owned, by the Directors, and so do not answer to the demand for quarterly results like a publicly traded company. They say they have had their eyes on Harman for several years as a long-term business opportunity. I am convinced they pounced now when they saw Harman become vulnerable due to the local reaction to the land deal. I'm willing to speculate that they see a double opportunity to get a piece of the land deal by bring along their technical, legal, and political skills in real estate development.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. JPR

JPR Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Ok, after 2 whiskey sours, I woke up with a headache. So that probably serves me right, right there. (The Brits will no doubt blame this on the cheaper Jack Daniels that I am drinking.) :smile:

The concern for me is this: I am a low volume amateur. I want to buy a product know how it works and keep usuing it. It's been a tough battle doing this for the last 10 years as successively many of the products I used have disappeared.

Every time, there is a strong learning curve. Now with the Ilford situation, I am just not willing to make the effort to learn a new process for an Ilford product.

Something will change rather quickly I guess, as this is what happens when a VC buys a company. Maybe they will come out with some coherent believable strategy. But they will have to work hard to convince me.

Sirius called this a looser approach. Maybe I just don't have as much time to dedicate to this hobby as he does. So I have to be efficient in my efforts, my goal is to take pictures not to make constant chemistry experiments.

My advice to the Ilford management if they are in this for the long run is "Inform quickly, inform wiith lots of facts, don't play games with the long-term customers."

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    When I said loser approach is throwing up ones hands and crying "We will all be killed! We will all be killed!" on hearing that a company has been sold. Nothing has changed with the product. There is no new learning curve. When Ilford/Harmon announce a change in product, then there many be a change in processing. But nothing has changed but the board members and they have already stated that. So far they have kept us informed. What we do not have yet is an Ilford ombudsman at APUG like Simon Galley was before.

It is not time to panic yet.

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This would make for a good T-shirt slogan.

18. JPR

JPR Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sirius, I agree more-or-less.

It means for me:

1.) Continue to use Ilford for existing applications and processes that give the results I like and I can control.
    2.) Do not use Ilford for any new developer tests that could be a future process until I am convinced the time I invest will not be for naught.

This is a rational approach for me. Better approach than last night, but that was quite a shock!

19. Jeff Bradford

Jeff Bradford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As diminishing demand for film starves the big producers, a company with "Buy & Hold" as their long-term strategy stands to profit from an investment in Harman.

I had been on the fence about switching to all Ilford products, but I don't suppose Kodak is on the fence about shutting down production the moment they don't meet their order threshold.

I'm reminded of the joke about the Fuji executive who, when asked if they would continue producing FP100C, replied, "We make film?"

20. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    On all our fastball competitive teams our mantra was NEVER PANIC.

21. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But Pemberstone is not a Venture Capitalist. They are an equity investor and operating company. They buy under-performing or undervalued companies that they believe they can run better and make more profitable as an ongoing concern. A sure way to ruin their own future profitability would be to mess with the current, quite successful, mix of products being offered.

22. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Chris always said "It is never too early to panic."

23. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just keep making Delta 3200, especially in 120. It's the one totally unique (now that TMZ is gone and that was never in 120) product of theirs that I love and can't replace with anything else. I LIKE many others - excellent papers, FP4+ became my medium speed choice when Plus-X died etc. But there just isn't another film like Delta 3200.

24. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Me too! I use it with my f/8 500mm lens.

25. Chris Livsey

Chris Livsey Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    On a positive note, I do seem to be seeing more marketing e-mails from Harman.
    Film discount on that Friday now D&P and single shot camera offer for Christmas, others as well.
    A bit more push from them?

26. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^^ that, exactly. No reason to worry.