Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenshi Daito
Recent bookmarks

xya

Shooter
Multi Format
There is an Ensign Autorange 220 which has both formats, 6x6 and 6x4.5, a rangefinder and automatic film advance for both formats https://www.120folder.com/ensign_autorange_220.htm a highly recommendable camera.

Speaking of the 820, I only have the Selfix 820, no rangefinder and automatic film advance, but 2 formats, 6x6 and 6x9 and the huge Xpress lens in a good Epsilon shutter https://www.120folder.com/ensign_820.htm . The albada finder is OK, but I prefer rangefinders.

John Wiegerink

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
There is an Ensign Autorange 220 which has both formats, 6x6 and 6x4.5, a rangefinder and automatic film advance for both formats https://www.120folder.com/ensign_autorange_220.htm a highly recommendable camera.

Speaking of the 820, I only have the Selfix 820, no rangefinder and automatic film advance, but 2 formats, 6x6 and 6x9 and the huge Xpress lens in a good Epsilon shutter https://www.120folder.com/ensign_820.htm . The albada finder is OK, but I prefer rangefinders.

I will second the Ensign Autorange 220. I had one several years ago, and it was a really great camera. Never a problem with it and it was easy to use. I wanted one with the Tessar lens, but ended up with the slower Ensnar lens. After a couple of rolls I no longer desired to Tessar since the Ensnar was as sharp as a tack with very nice rendering of the background in a scene.

Last edited:

blee1996

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Ensign Autorange 820 seems to be really nice, but current price (on ebay) seems to make it into the league of Plaubel Makina 67 and newer Fuji/Voigtlander GF670 territory. And it makes harder case to buy one as a user.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
And the Ensign Commando is much harder to find -- last I looked, there were two on eBay, both visibly damaged.

FeS2

Shooter
Large Format Pan
Had a Plaubel 670 with 80mm Nikkor . Awesome.
Wish I still had it (or could afford it) –

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format
It *does* look enormous.

View attachment 315412
While we're on the topic of Ensign cameras.

Selfix16-20.gif

I'm still looking at 6x45 folders, specifically the Selfix 16-20, and wouldn't mind hearing about people's experience with the Ensign albada finders! They look cool but are they any better in practise than, for instance, the Zeiss folding frame finders of the Ikonta 521 and similar?

They are great. At least the one in my Selfix 820 was. But very fragile if you knock them.

blee1996

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
In my futile quest for an affordable 6x9 folder, I discovered that Tessar or Triplet lenses did not matter all that much. More importantly is to have a folder that does not have a frozen front lens cell, has a light tight bellows, calibrated focus, rigid and parallel front standard, properly working shutter, film flatness, and working shutter connection. f/11 f/16 f/22, tripod, landscape and be happy. 😂

Covellite

Shooter
Medium Format

lecarp

Subscriber
Shooter
8x10 Format
I once cut my finger on a Seagull 120 folder, the edge of the door was very sharp!😋

pbromaghin

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format

I never got good results with the Selfix 820. Either the lens (ross xpres) has enormous field curvature, or the film plane is curved.

I could calibrate it for a sharp center but then the edges would be unsharp.

Only way to have the whole field sharp was to use it at f11 or 16.

henryvk

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Time to resurrect this thread!

An old train sitting in a siding at Linz am Rhein. Super Ikonta III (Opton Tessar) on expired and cross-processed Fujichrome Provia 400F

idtxTnW.jpg

I really like this camera, it's compact, light and has a decent lens. Fair warning, though, to those looking to clean underneath the top cover. The rangefinder mirror is mounted on a dinky little tab attached to the rangefinder housing and easily moved out of whack if you touch it. I must have accidentally brushed up against it and subsequently had to bend it back into position and recalibrate the rangefinder which was a bit annoying.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom