Reversal print processing video..new approach

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Peter Schrager, Aug 29, 2017.

1. himself

himself Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ok, so I'll just keep working with rc I think for now. I have some old Forte that I know liths, but unfortunately it's really old and seems to have lost a lot of sensitivity. I've only managed to get an image rating it at 1.5 (+ 3 stops), which would be no good for portraits I reckon.

ned,

that looks like a really interesting idea!
    I'm thinking of trying some watercolour paper coated (by brush) with rollei liquid emulsion next to see how it handles bleaching : )

2. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I know you guys are all doing this already, but I've been successfully using the same bottle of bleach now for quite a few prints. I haven't counted them but more than a dozen so far. Not sure what went wrong the last time I tried it, but maybe it was dried fixer on the funnel I used to put it back into the bottle ( this time I'm not using the funnel! ) So I'm going through my H2O2 a lot more slowly now.

Here's one I made today. The old palm trees caught my eye and I walked down the street to look at them.... they were at a Korean Baptist Church. We don't have all that many palm trees here, but some of the ones we do have were planted more than a century ago. These could easily be that old. I'll probably go back again... something about palm trees and pinhole!

This was re-developed in thiourea... first one I did during the daytime and it was fun to watch it spring up in full daylight.

3. himself

himself Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looks great and I'm sure it will make a huge difference now that you can reuse your bleach.
    I know you're using a weaker solution than I am, but just a word of caution, when mine goes it suddenly goes. It can be literally be 1 good next bad.

I'm still not getting any results trying lith developer as the second developer, and after speaking to a friend who's a very experienced lith printer, I've decided that maybe it would be better to try both stages in lith. So far I've managed to make a lith paper negative (that I fixed rather than trying to reverse) which looks nice, but because of the amount of trial and error in lith printing I'm having a little trouble getting all 3 stages to work together : )

4. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    As I mentioned earlier, I've noticed that if you re-develop in thiourea ( does not need any re-exposure), the negative likes plenty of exposure, and if you re-expose and re-develop in normal print developer, the negative likes to be a bit on the underexposed side. At least this is true with the weak 3% H2O2 bleach that I've been using. My quart bottle of 3% H2O2 is still going ... dozens of prints and weeks later!

With re-exposing in mind, yesterday I decided to expose one for the sky. Paper negatives can make really neat skies, but usually everything else is a silhouette.

[​IMG]
    Through the windshield
    par Ned, on ipernity

5. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I haven't made one in a few weeks... my 3% H2O2 + citric acid bleach is stored in the brown plastic bottle the H2O2 came in. Several times in the past few weeks I've noticed the bottle was bulging and opened the cap to let the pressure out. I suspect it is slowly decomposing. So be careful: there may be some danger that it will burst the container it is stored in.

6. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Quick update: my bleach is still good after more than 6 months in the original brown quart drugstore H2O2 bottle. I let the "bulge" pressure out twice since that last post, but not for the past couple months... figured since it stopped bulging maybe it was dead, but it works even faster now ( about 7 or 8 minutes ). I have no idea how many prints have gone through it by now, but lots... lots of capacity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.