Postcard Exchange Round 33 Comments and Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Oct 3, 2014.

1. rst

rst Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Since I am out of darkroom right now I sent out my toning disaster yesterday. See and learn: No toning while being distracted!

In the meantime I got some more cards that I have not commented on yet. In no particular order:

ccross - Ship Rock - seems to be a nice place to take images. Kind of magic light there.

rince - A flower and leaves - Wow, it is always amazing when looking at a 4x5 contact print. Such great tonality and you pulled that all out. Great!

anikin - A lost soul - That image tricked me at first. First I thought waste baskets, that could be an image I sent, but then I realized the little visitor. Thanks.

pilami - double portrait - ... and now for something completely different. I like that concept but would like to learn a bit more about how you did this. So I assume it is a double exposure on a wet-plate, but how did you get it on paper?

TXFZ1 - The Barber Chair - Contrast exactly to the point. Like it. For a short moment I thought BWKate is back.

hwv - aUsgang - Interesting composition, especially since I have some similar images myself (not to be shown here since mine are digital)

Mark_S - detail of machine gun ammunition - I would say: bullet proof contrast :wink:

Cheers
    Ruediger

2. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Received a card from rince (Dennis), and what a beauty. I was focused on the beautiful flower in the middle of the photograph and out from the background this hand appears well blended in with the leaves. Pretty cool card I'd say.

Mike

3. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    25 Dec 2014

I had the same experience when rince's card landed in my mailbox. I really like to look of this card - it is a very compelling image. My favorite for this round. Very well done Dennis.

Regards,
    Darwin

4. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Hehehe, Mike. It has done it's job - that was the angle I was going for. :wink:

5. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I'd say you have done a good job Nanette.

6. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RST's 35mm pasta would taste better with some Dektol sauce or maybe some Hc110 Alfredo sauce would be good.Hope you had a great xmass and have a good New Year!

Mike

7. rince

rince Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

Thank you! I am glad you liked the card. Some times the stars seem to align just right :wink:

Hope you all had a nice holiday season!
    Can't wait for next round!

Dennis

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

8. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, time to catch up on this addictive tradition. Sometimes life and work gets in the way of this addiction, but it's never too late to catch up.

Going back in this thread, I see I have only commented on two cards so far. To keep it all in one location, I will start by repeating myself:

Since then, I have received the following cards (in random order):

ccross, Ship Rock. Quite an impressive piece of nature, I can see why you would visit it regularly, with or without camera. Great photo.
    anikin, "a lost soul". A piece of wildlife in the city. Great shot, and a great accompanying story/rhyme.
    AdamRoe, train station. Without looking at the description (and the sender), I would have guessed Berlin. And indeed it is. Very nice.
    drpsilver, "Tafoni, Salt Point SP". Indeed, what do I see here? Or rather, what exactly am I looking at? I can keep looking at it, imagining. Lovely.
    hwv, "leaving subway", to continue the theme "public transport in Berlin" (see AdamRoe's postcard). Although I can't be certain this is Berlin, come to think of it. It is a nice photo, wherever it was shot.
    rince, well, this is something else. This is beautiful. Or is it sad, painful? I don't know, most of the time I see beauty. Sometimes other emotions. It's a beautiful photo, thanks!

And then, there's one more, but this has me scratching my head. It's from Mark Sauerwald, showing a detail of a machine gun. Still on the subject of beauty, sadness, pain that rince evoked in his photo, here, photographically, I see beauty, but the image evokes pain, sadness, and more. Technically, beautiful shot, but the subject is not a happy one.

Anyway, what has me scratching my head is that Mark mentions that this is a round 33 card. But... Mark is not on my list (the list of people I should send a photo, that is). Mister organiser, George, how can this be? Is it possible that this exchange is not in all cases reciprocal?
    Mark, I have a few spare cards, so if you PM me your address, I'll send you one.

On the topic of me sending out my cards... Yes, they are ready to be sent. As of today.
    However, we have a little tradition (*sigh*) here in the Netherlands, which is that any member of the public is allowed to handle fireworks on the 31st of December. Over the years, this has evolved from a nice tradition to something that costs society millions of Euros each year (*heavy sigh*). Lots of objects that shouldn't get treated with fireworks in some way. I feel I'm making a short story long here... As a precaution, all mail boxes will have been removed by now or will be removed tomorrow, so that they don't get blown up with a lot of mail inside. Yes, I'm reaching the end of my story here... So, I will post my cards early next year, when the risk of finding them in a heap of ashes has subsided. Just a few more days!

Wishing all of you all the best for 2015. May we share some more postcards in the new year!

9. OP
    OP
    George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes it can be. A few rounds ago an "ALL" option was requested and added. This lets members sent to all participants even when we run out of matches. It is possible for you to receive extra cards because of this, they are not expecting cards from everyone.

I hope this answers your question ---- and EVERYBODY almost time to signup for the next round. Just a matter of hours left.

10. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeehaa....bring it on!:laugh::cool:

11. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    George, that answers my question indeed, the "ALL" option is the cause, makes sense. Thanks.

Jacco

12. jvo

jvo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    late... but met my revised goal.

well just barely met my new commitment by the end of the month... all but 10 cards, (need stamps) in the mail today. agian, i ask your indulgence in beiong a month late.

to comments on what i've rec'd, from

tony miller/ajmiller, "the joke shop", nicely printed, great detail and tone
    todd/astroclimb, "headstone", very non-traditional! gotta go to NM
    matt king, "power take-off", nice composition and use of dof.
    darwin/dpsilver, "tafoni, salt point", that's one huge bear, leaving a print that size! (that's what i see)
    bert/toadman, "st. canute's", you can get lost in your thoughts, looking up at that, nice capture, now available from afar.
    hawkeye, "buick eight", glory past? sad, but with the possibility of jumping powerfully to life
    mike clark, "hills and roofs", nice juxtaposition, lines and layering....
    peter schraeger, "reflect...", used to have a bureau like that, never used it in a picture
    matthew browning/mr browing, "pratt rock tree", what story would that tree tell?
    arthur/fm2n, "coney island", just made my 1st pinhole and ordered film, great inspiration!
    steelbar, "powerhouse", excellent graphics and light
    sppedgray/k8sg, "old school trucking", very stephen king-ish, and nice for you 1st print in 40+ years.
    eugene/anikin, "poor soul", he may not be saved, but he konw's where he's at!
    ozphoto, "angel 1999", from the pages of vogue! classy...
    craig cross, "ship rock", i can see why it's a favorite!
    david/txfz1, " barber chair", bureaucrat and outlaw... some people think their still around today... picture/story is great but i still like my wild west with john wayne in it!
    randal cavalero/randalcav, "old iron...", i hear that train a'coming...
    nigel, rocks & seaweed, great tones and shapes - contrast....
    mark sauerwald, "machine gun", light the light, texture - even in a picture, they hurt.
    christina ostenstad, "barnet marine park", i do like the b&w... too many color sunsets hard to do well! yeah and the light leaksadd interest in this... nice mood
    anthony delorenzo/adelorenzo, "white pass..." this is power, 3 engines... somehow the old steam engine, holds that allure... love trains

really great pictures, thank you all for such enjoyment and hard work.

jvo

13. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My cards are in the mail and should find the way to their new homes soon.
    I apologise once more for the delay.

16. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I must apologise for not being very active this round with comments, but I have to say that I've been very impressed with the cards I've received so far this round, which include:

Three great colour photos:
    "Angel 1999" from ozphoto - as others have mentioned, it looks like an ad (which it is) but I really like the lighting here, something I'm trying to figure out as I try my hand at still lifes.
    "Disneyland" from TheToadMen - the look and colour of it has a timeless feel to it
    "Wonder Wheel" from FM2N - I love the colours in this and can hardly believe it's a pinhole image - it almost has a holga feel to it (and I mean that in a good way)

I always find that every round there tends to be certain themes that pop up, whether it be abandoned buildings or abstracts or whatever. And this round, so far, it appears to be tracks/grills/lines, which I've quite enjoyed, for example:
    "White Pass and Yukon train route" by adelorenzo
    "Old Iron" by Randalcav
    "Buick 8" by Hawkeye
    "Old School Trucking" by Speed Gray
    "Train Station" by Adam Roe

It's not often we get two different images from the same location, but Steelbar and MattKing provided some very interesting views of the Stave Falls Powerhouse Generator.

I also received a number of images of objects, including a very interesting "Barber Chair" from TXFZ1, a "I'm not sure what I'm looking at" :wink: from astroclimb, a very detailed shot of belted 30 calibre ammunition from Mark Sauerwald, and a mirror reflection from Peter Schrager.

The perspective from Mike Clark's "Hill and Roof's" reminds me a bit of the view I had from my apartment when I lived in France, and ajmiller's "The Joke Shop" looks like a very fun place to spend a morning or afternoon in.

A few landscape/nature cards have made their way into this round too, drpsilver's "Tafoni" rock formations and Nige's "Rocks and Seaweed" both provide a lot of interesting details to look at. The Canadians this round have featured a lot of places that I've never been to/heard of, and that includes Chocochick93's "Barnet Marine Park" and ccross' "Ship Rock" in Johnston Canyon. Next time I'm in the Banff area I'll have to go check it out (that may be awhile though).

Finally, a couple of cards that had me do a double-take more than once - anikin's "A lost soul" and rince's "Beauty, sadness, and pain..." I don't know why, but I always seem to miss the raccoon in the former (although that certainly was a common sight for me when I lived in Toronto), and the dirty hand blends in so well with the leaves in the latter that it evokes all kinds of imagery for me. It kind of makes me wonder what else I might discover if I dig a little deeper.
    ____

I'm happy to report that all my cards are now finished and posted. I'm sorry for the delay -- I had half the cards done a while ago, but since then I've had problems in the darkroom and nothing seemed to go well, maybe because I was too focused on printing certain images, and they just weren't working for me. So I had to let all that go and the result is that there are two very different images being sent out this round -- not that that's so unusual for me, but it's not what I had planned initially. Anyway, I hope they all make it to you soon. Cheers.

17. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Famous Photographer visits Legoland FL" by PCX33 , I have seen that guy years ago at Disneyland Ca. hanging around Goofy. Very nice catch James.

Mike

18. Pelo78

Pelo78 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    late, late, late.....

Sorry for not having sent yet my postcards, I printed 20 of them and after then my darkroom has been down for 2 months...

This we I got back to photography and I'm working to finish to print my postcards and send all of them at once.

Marco

19. mooseontheloose

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Famous photographer visits Legoland" by JimO arrived in my mailbox today. That's exactly the kind of place I'd like to visit one day, and I love the photographer dude done up in little plastic blocks.

20. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too received the Legoland photo from JimO. What Rachelle said! (Same, same.)

21. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mooseontheloose card came today, the huge bell looking shaped objects in the foreground open up to a grand misty forest and cloud shrouded mountain background, just beautiful.This one is my favorite so far. Thanks for the card moose!!!!

Mike

22. mooseontheloose

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mike! Glad to know it arrived safe and sound.

23. jvo

jvo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    rec'd more!!!

from....

katrin/pilami, "collodion - father and son portrait", very impressive, definitely harkens back to photo's of old, wonderfully produced - fascinating.
    hwv, "leaving subway", climbed many a step to the street like this... nice lines and view!
    adam roe, "train station, berlin", attractive and fascinating, nice depth.
    dennis b./rince, "beauty, sadness, pain...", delicate and dirty... what wonderful contrast and light... really communicates!
    rudiger, "a toning diaster", al dente!

thank you.

jvo

24. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I feel really guilty. I haven’t yet commented on the excellent postcards I have received in this Round 33.

I have received cards from at least seventeen people. Here are my comments, including in some cases my best guesses as to an appropriate Title:

Hawkeye - "Buick Eight" - Old, derelict cars and a Rolleiflex - are they not made for each other? And a really nice print as well.
    TheToadMen - "Snkt Knud Kirke" - A beautiful card - subtle colour and very open and airy. Like many good subjects, it led me to some research, whereby I learned that in histery there was more than one "Canute"
    Peter Schrager - "Reflect Upon Yourself!" - A fun mix of angles, shapes, tones and ... reflections!
    mike c - "Hill and Roofs, Germany" - Nice collection of patterns, textures and geometric shapes. Well printed too.
    adelorenzo - "White Pass & Yukon - Crossing the Skagway River" - Great choice of viewpoint - I can feel the rumble.
    drpsilver - "Tafoni, Salt Point SP" - I really like the shapes and textures one finds at the sea shore, and Darwin's card shows them well. As to what I see - A fossilized footprint from something old and gigantic?
    hwv - "leaving the Subway": - I like the lines and reflections in this.
    TXFZ1 - "The Barber Chair" - The juxtaposition between ornate metal and weathered wood is particularly strong here. I like the choice you have made with regard to printing this dark.
    Mark_S - "Belted 30 Calibre Ammunition" - Ominous and thought provoking. I really like the printing.
    Pilami - "Collodion - Wetplate, Father & Son" - A really good idea! A double exposure seems to maintain the character of Wetplate while expanding the tonal range
    anikin - "A Lost Soul" - A fun card, with a beautiful eye for composition. Some peoples' "trash" is clearly others' "gold".
    AdamRoe - "Train Station, Berlin" - It may be that I've seen to many old movies, but this looks like I imagine Berlin to be!
    ccross - "Ship Rock": - An imposing natural edifice - great job of "capturing" the grandeur of a fascinating place
    rince - "Petals in Hand" - Mysterious and powerful - a great contact print (which I would like to see larger too)
    rst - "Pasta Photographica" - A fun allegory. And I like the image tone - not a disaster at all!
    mooseontheloose - "Rainy Night in Nara Ukimodo Gazebo" - A graphic, architectural statement. Very nice print too.
    JimO - "Famous Photographer visits Legoland" - Always like postcards that make me grin

By my calculation, that means in this round I have received cards from 17 people, and still await cards from 7 people. I have, however, not been as organized as usual, so if I have received any more, but have misplaced them, please accept my apologies for not recognizing your efforts.

Thanks to all for participating.

25. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm starting to get a bit worried. I sent out my cards a little over a month ago, but I have not yet seen any mentions of anyone having received it. :errm:

Then again, I have received a few cards since then, and I haven't commented on those yet either... I'll fix this as soon as possible.

26. mooseontheloose

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just took a look again through my cards - I don't have one from you. Maybe there was a mix-up in the post?