Postcard Exchange Round 33 Comments and Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be back for 34!:D

2. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry I've been remiss in commenting on all the great cards I've gotten so far! I will definitely do so soon, when I have a little more time on my hands. About 1/2 my cards are printed, I'll be able to finish the other half this weekend. So they're coming...soonish!

3. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    TxFZI (David) has sent" The Barber Chair" along with a Google to the story of Henry Plummer. Interesting story that adds a lot to the Postcard, I would not doubt there are some bullet holes in the wall behind that chair! Thanks David.

Mike

4. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    18 Nov 2014

Three more cards have landed in my mailbox. A photo of an interesting memorial in New Mexico from astroclimb. I wonder what the story is behind thous memorial. The card from Mark_S is very well done. Great use of shallow depth-of-focus to direct the viewer. The photo from TXFZ1 is a good example of how an image can lead the viewer to ask what stories that old things hold.

Thanks to all for the good images. It is always nice to see other people's work.

Regards,
    Darwin

5. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    18 Nov 2014

I just found another card under a pile of mail on my desk. I like how Randalcav has used perspective and parallel lines to give this image depth, and to draw the viewer into the photo. Unfortunately, the US Post Office added a couple of elements to the image.

Regards,
    Darwin

6. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I received another three fine postcards recently:

Chocochick93: Sunset at Burnaby. A beautiful B&W image made with a Holga (I like that).

astroclimb: Classic BSA. Also a fine B&W print of the tank with ornaments and some beautiful clouds reflecting.

adelorenzo: Train crossing. A larger B&W card from a train crossing a bridge. Nice composition and tonality.

Thanks you all!

7. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Found two cards today in the postbox:-

hwv - interesting print of a familiar place, good use of lines and angles.
    Mark Sauerwald - Exceptional detail in the metal and textile and very well printed.

Thanks for these.

8. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My cards are finally in the mail. Sorry about the delay. I have received quite a few exceptional post cards already and will try to comment on them in a few days.

9. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Don't worry. It's nice not to receive all postcards on the same day :wink:

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

10. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's what I have received to date:

"Cemetery Headstone" by Todd Haines. Wow, really? I had to do a double take. Your card has some retro look to it. I just can't figure out why I have this feeling. I do really love the look. Did you do some special toning?

"Power Take-off" by Matt King. I love industrial equipment shots. Wait! 10cm wide? That's huge! You really showed a great feeling of motion and power in this shot. Nice job!

A several great texture/abstract shots:

"Rocks and leaves" from down under by Nige.

"Tafoni" by Darwin. No, I really have no idea what I'm looking at here :smile:

"Stepping into the afternoon" by Jim Christie. I give up. What's that? This shot really belongs into an art gallery.

"Hill and Roofs" by Mike Clark

"Machine Gun" Mark Sauerwald

and another shot from "Stave Falls powerhouse generator" by Steelbar.

Couple railroad cards:

"Old Iron" by Randlcav

and

"White Pass" by Anthony DeLorenzon. By the way, this is my favorite card from this exchange. Great athmosphere!

"Buick Eight" from Hawkeye. That's a beauty just asking for restoration!

"Reflect upon yourself" by Peter Schrager. Great multi-layered shot!

"The Joke Shop" by Tony Miller. Man, I want to visit UK one day. Sounds like a fun shop to browse in :smile:

"Snkt Knud Kirke" by Bert. Very strange look this church has! As if ghosts are floating in the air. At first, I could not even figure out if this was b/w or color shot. Unusual to say the least!

"The Barber Chair" by David. Amazing story about Henry, by the way!

And last by not least:

"Wonder Wheel" by FM2N. Made with a homemade camera, no less! Talk about impressive!

Eugene.

11. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    21 Nov 2014

Eugene:

"Tafoni" is a geological term for how sandstone is eroded in a way that creates cavities in the rock. In a complex set of reactions sandstone is converted to sand. When the cavities begin to "join" the rock exfoliates and the process starts anew. Interestingly enough these features only show-up at the seashore, or places that used to be seashore.

Regards
    Darwin

12. astroclimb

astroclimb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Anikin,

Yes, really, lots of interesting finds here in NM. No particular treatment during the printing, guess I like the "retro" look and tried to get it w/out much manipulation. Glad you liked it.

Todd

13. Jim Christie

Jim Christie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's a stairway. If you look at the picture in portrait orientation, with the apex of the triangle pointing to the left, that's how it was shot. The telephoto lens compresses perspective slightly and lends to the abstract nature of the image, which is what I was going for. Thanks for the compliment!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Eugene, if you ever travel to the UK and manage to head north of London let me know. :smile:

Thanks

16. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eugene, got your Post card today, great capture, not very easy to get a photograph of a Racoon making the rounds. The Raccoon could have replied to the Priest "waste not, want not", that might have given the Priest food for thought, that is if Racoons could talk.

Mike

17. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "hwv" has sent a postcard all the way from Germany,"Leaving the subway" Sharp and well exposed, thanks Heinz.

Mike

18. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Received a postcard from Eugene (Anikin). Great image and print, and words to match - very entertaining all round.
    Thanks Eugene.

19. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    29 Nov 2014

Two more cards have landed next to the computer.

The card from Anikin is very will done. I really like the curiosity and mischievous nature of the raccoon. The accompanying story adds interest to the photo.
    The card rom hwv is also very interesting. It is a very nice example of "leading lines" and "repeated patterns". It has a lot of thing for the viewer to look for without being too cluttered.

Regards,
    Darwin

20. jvo

jvo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    grandparent

i am a grandparent of a 5 yr.old and a 1 yr. old.... for the past 2 months i've had to be the parent! (parenting is truly for the young!)

yes, i've got my cards half printed, and i have a bunch of cards here to comment on (tho' i haven't had the opportunity to look at them!).

so as of tomorrow i will be officially late in both regards. please excuse me, my new committment is to complete both tasks before xmas!

being thankful...
    jvo

21. ccross

ccross Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello all,

Post cards are in the mail (finally). Thanks everyone for the cards received so far, good stuff!

Craig

22. rince

rince Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After a mad darkroom session last night my cards are finally on the way ... sorry for the delay ...

23. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Craig (ccross), that was fast, got your card on the 13th. What a beautiful place, The big carved out bolder or Rock does look like a ship, the falls and back ground fit right in.Great Capture.

Mike

24. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    15 Dec 2014

Agreed!

Regards,
    Darwin

25. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I'm still here...

I apologise both for my lack of comments on photos received and for not having sent or even printed my photos yet.

There's a possible solution for the latter; I have outsourced the printing after selecting a few slides that I took this summer. If the results are good, I may still be able to send my cards before the holidays.

Of course, there's also a solution for the former. This is my last working week of the year, so I'm sure next week I can find some time to gather the cards received and go and sit in front of screen and keyboard to type and send some comments.

26. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, all most thru Ozphoto's post card in the trash, thought it was an advertisement for some kind of perfume or something. Great photograph with a lot of class and well done, could be used as advertizing material in a magazine!!

Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.