Perfection XR-1 -- anyone have original instructions?

Liz-Lith.jpg

A
Liz-Lith.jpg

Stray (2014)

H
Stray (2014)

Time #2

Time #2

Summer Dreaming

A
Summer Dreaming

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dradler
Recent bookmarks

Trask

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
I've got several 16 gram foil envelopes of Perfection XR-1 film developer -- powder inside. Unfortunately, there are no directions printed on the envelope as to suggested diltuion, time/temp, etc. There are a lot of posts about the XR-1 formula, but so far I've not been able to find a PDF or copy online of a spec sheet from the manufacturer. Darkroom Techniques June 1981 apparently had an article on XR-1, but I've not found that issue in online archives. So -- does anyone have any info as provided by the manufacturer? I'd appreciate a copy if you're willing. Thanks.

craigclu

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I had the Perfection file in my hand a couple of weeks back and noted the colored instruction sheets that I recalled. I'm posting the 2 that I found and know that I have the XR-1 sheet somewhere and recall scanning it for someone. I'll post what I found for the Perfection Micro Grain and the Perfection Super Speed. I'll keep looking for the XR-1 as it's likely I failed to re-file it when I last scanned it. I'll also see if I have that old scan somewhere, too.

Attachments

• Perf Micro Grain.pdf
    581.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Perf Super Speed.pdf
    399 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
OP
OP
Trask

Trask

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
I've got it and will post a scan
Thanks — much appreciated. The package doesn’t even say how much water in which to dissolve the powder. Maybe these packets were sold in a box of ten or something like that, with the necessary info on the box.

craigclu

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Found it.... A bulletin that speaks of the packaging and an old photocopy of the instructions.

Attachments

• XR1 Bulletin.pdf
    322.9 KB · Views: 58
  • XR1 Instructions.pdf
    421.9 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
Trask

Trask

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
Outstanding! Just what I needed. Interesting that the XR-1 packet would be prepped as a stock solution in 8 oz water, then further diluted up to 1+9, making 80 oz of working solution! I wonder how long that working solution would remain usable? It would pay to save up several rolls of film to develop in one session, it seems.

I appreciated learning about Super Speed and Micro-Grain; I’d not heard of them before. Interesting these developers use Lithium Hydroxide, not Sodium Hydroxide. Well, time to mix up some stock solution and try some TechPan and pushing Tri-X.

OP
OP
Trask

Trask

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
And it's interesting that XR-1 was sold in large jars of powder mixture, with instructions to scoop out 4 grams etc according to needs. That flies in the face of the oft-stated advice here on Photrio that powder developers may settle etc such that scooping a small amount from a larger quantity risks not having all component chemicals in correct proportions in each scoop.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom