Oh Man! Plaubel Makina III!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Nokton48, Aug 22, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Plaubel Makina III Interior. Velvet Ice Cream Factory Museum. HP5+ F2.9 1/25th sec handheld Mic-X dev The 100mm F2.9 lens is becoming my favorite Makina glass.

[​IMG]Makina III Interior F2.9 HP5+ Mic-X by Nokton48, on Flickr

4. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of Plaubel Makina III's in beautiful natural sunlight. Hasselblad 100mm Planar

More Agfa 70mm Aviphot 200 processed in Rollei Supergrain developer. Similar in most respects to 70mm Rollei 400s available fresh from Germany

[​IMG]70mm Agfa Aviphot 200 Rollei Supergrain by Nokton48, on Flickr

5. rknewcomb

rknewcomb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    An interesting discovery about Plaubel Makina and mine in particular. They must have specifically made some cameras for export. My IIIR has factory 1/4-20 tripod holes and the distance scale is marked in feet. I bought it some time back, here in the US, but had not noticed this before, cool !
    Robert

6. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Again Robert!
    I recently made a similar discovery. My Makina III focus scale is marked in meters, and has the larger tripod sockets on the body. My IIIR focus scale is marked in feet, and has the smaller tripod sockets. I have ordered a packet of tripod bushings (thread adapters) from China and they will be here shortly, to adapt my European III camera body. It is good to have two camera bodies, one marked in feet, and one in meters, in my opinion. When I use the 73mm wide angle lens, the original Makina depth of field tables are marked in meters. Trying to convert these to feet would be slow and something of a bodge. Best to use the body marked in meters for wide angle shooting. I have never seen a Plaubel depth of focus table marked in feet, only in meters. For other types of uses I prefer to use the body marked in feet. So it is good to have both types of bodies. I'm also trying to standard the tripod fittings so I can use just one tripod adapter (when I finish making it this spring).

7. rknewcomb

rknewcomb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    i still gotta make a tripod adapter plate, its on the list:smile:
    Robert

8. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yesterday my Wife and I went to the local Art Museum. We has a nice tour and I shot two rolls of Delta 3200 120 film in my Makina III. I shot at 1/50 and 1/30 at F2.9, so it will be interesting to see what I will get. I think I will develop in Ilford DDX. I rated the film at EI 800. I tried this once before with my Plaubel Makiflex, and it worked well.

Such high speed films were not around in the era of Plaubel Makinas.

9. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just sent my Makina IIIR and 100mm F4.2 Aniticomar to Wizcam in NYC. This is the Guy that advertises repairing modern Makinas on Ebay. Anyway he is very fast and good on old Makinas, and he seems to have a lot of original parts! :smile: So we will see how he does cleaning up this one, it works well, but could use a CLA. It does have a bit of corrosion here and there, it came from the San Francisco area. Everything I have read about Wizcam and old Makinas has been positive.

So I am getting ready for the Spring shooting season.

10. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

[​IMG]Makina II by Nokton48, on Flickr

I think the black Makina II cameras are lovely. I'd like to have one.​

11. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Makina IIIR with 100mm f4.2 lens is on it's way back from Wizcam. Quick turn around.

12. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]Two Makinas My IIIR and III CLAed by Nokton48, on Flickr

My somewhat corroded Makina IIIR is now back from Wizcam in NYC and has been through a complete mechanical CLA. I bought this body to get the lens; the rare F4.2 100mm Anticomar. Wizcam did a fantastic job. All I need to do now is apply some black camera body dye I bought from Cameratools, to the bellows and leather parts, and buff them up bright and shiny. I did this with my first body ( a III) and it looks like new to the casual eye. This IIIR has been rode hard, but works like new and soon will look like it too.

I'll be using these cameras extensively this spring. They are great for folding up and carrying around, although a bit heavy. I can deal with that. And they are built with Leica-like build quality! :smile:

13. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]Leitz Tabletop Legs by Nokton48, on Flickr

Just got this Leitz set of tabletop legs, to use with my Makina III's, and Leitz Ballhead. Throw it in the Domke bag and it is ready to use. For when I don't want to lug a tripod around or not allowed.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. rknewcomb

rknewcomb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just got my Makina lllR back from Wizcam for a complete CLA. He did a beautiful job with very quick return time. Just so people know, five stars to Wizcam.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.