Oh Man! Plaubel Makina III!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Nokton48, Aug 22, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can see how small and compact the camera is when using sheet film holders.
    BTW I applied "Venetian Creme" from CameraTools to the scrapes on the body leather and it looks like new now. Works like magic.

[​IMG]001 by Nokton48, on Flickr

5. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Three 6x6 Film Backs for the Plaubel Makina III. And the RARE 6x6 Viewfinder Mask for the Makina III. Today just arrived, two more Plaubel Makina filters, these came from a camera collection from Cuba :smile:

Two of these backs are loaded with film. I have not tested any of them at this point, but I will soon. It will be interesting to see how the camera handles as a 6x6. As a 6x9 obviously it is wonderful.

Also I want to mount a large strobe on this baby. Maybe one of my Norman 200B's would be a good fit. I'll need a Makina sync cord and a Makina flash mounting plate, if anybody knows where I can find one cheaply (PM Me)..... Truly a strut reportage camera with a lot of significant history.

[​IMG]2015-12-12 14.19.12 by Nokton48, on Flickr

6. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is what I have in mind for strobe photography with the Makina III.

I used to use these Stroboframe Brackets on my Hasselblads for Wedding Photography; I have five or six of them around. Added a Bogen Manfrotto Tripod Plate, Bantam Battery, and a Vivitar 283 with Inflatable Photoflex Softbox. Bulky Yes, Heavy, No. Had to re-drill the bottom socket to fit the bottom of the Makina. Actually fits fairly tightly, should be fine.

Works as well on the Plaubel Makina as the Hasselblad. All I need to do is figure out how to sync the strobe. Maybe some contact pins can be had from Radio Shack to fit the Makina triple socket in the front? Beautiful soft portable strobe lighting that I prefer for candids.

[​IMG]Makina III Flash by Nokton48, on Flickr

7. xya

xya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank You xya!
    I will look for one of the Plaubel Flash Adapters.
    So it just fits into the three pin female socket.
    You wouldn't happen to know where I could find one? :whistling:

Best Regards,
    -Dan

9. xya

xya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes, it just fits into the 3-pin socket. and no, I don't happen to know where to find one. sorry. but I will keep my eyes open...

10. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks! I appreciate that.
    Merry Christmas :smile:

11. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's called the "Makiblitz", that little silver round Plaubel adapter for flash sync. And I think I have found one from a reliable dealer. We will see. I would love to be able to use the Plaubel Makina for "reportage photography". That is a use for which it is truly intended. And what a history it has. And I would use film up much more quickly! :whistling: Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2016
  12. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2016
  17. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    New to me 19cm f4.8 Tele-Makinar lens for my Plaubel Makina III. This one is in absolutely beautiful condition (some I see around are not so nice). This one is correct vintage and I am looking forward to using this soon. The lens is crystal clear and absolutely clean. Funny how the glass looks so "ripply" in the digiphoto; It's not that way!

My Makina III is now with Frank Marshman for a shutter clean and rangefinder adjust. He says it will take about a week to do. What a great guy to know! :D

[​IMG]2016-02-02 12.05.49 by Nokton48, on Flickr

19. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From Glenn Evans in Chicago comes the "Makiblitz" for using modern strobe or bulbs, and a 190mm 6x6cm square mask for the Makina III

[​IMG]2016-02-04 15.50.24 by Nokton48, on Flickr

20. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And also here now, the rare Makina III Lenshood, which fits all three Makina III lenses. Shown on the new 190mm. The hood hinges open to screw-in the Makina filters. Typical Plaubel precision.

[​IMG]2016-02-08 15.40.29 by Nokton48, on Flickr

21. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now I am looking for the Makina Tripod Plate, if anybody here knows where I can find one, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

[​IMG]2016-02-13 12.31.15 by Nokton48, on Flickr

22. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One last Makina III lens to complete my setup. The 73mm Orthar, with another hinged (original) Plaubel Makina Shade. Looks pretty cool and from what I can tell from the internet, it's a very sharp lens and well liked generally. I need to find the supplemental clip-on optical 73mm viewfinder mask.

Frank Marshman has now shipped my Makina III, and it's on it's way back to me, and he says I am going to absolutely love it. I can't wait!! He also completely restored my 190mm ^^ (see above) he said the years were not kind to this one, and he scrubbed and cleaned every single inside part and it's now as good as it can be.

I love this stuff; It's like a pocketable medium format with Leica quality.

[​IMG]2016-03-01 17.19.46 by Nokton48, on Flickr

23. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My restored Makina III is back from Frank Marshman. Shown with the 73mm Orthar, and Plaubel Makina Lens Hood, in wideangle configuration. You can focus by distance scale, or open the camera fully, use the rangefinder, remember the distance setting, and then put the camera back in wide angle mode, and set the distance. Or you can simply focus with the ground glass.

[​IMG]Restored Makina III by Nokton48, on Flickr

And here is a another view. You can also see my new Makiblitz Plaubel Makina Flash Adapter.

[​IMG]Restored Plaubel Makina II 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

24. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is my best use of the 73mm lens, which I guess is a Dagor/Angulon type of lens, since it is a F6.8 lens. Or perhaps it is a Gauss design? My main use for this baby will be for photo reportage. See the news photo examples in the Plaubel catalog ^^. Some were made with the 73mm lens, and back then, probably a 100/200 watt second strobe (with dry cell batteries, like the old Multiblitz line).

Here is my new/modern wide angle strobe rig, with modified Stroboframe bracket, Bantam Battery, Vivitar 283 Strobe, 73mm lens on Makina III with Photoflex inflatable softbox (beautiful soft light up close especially, and I can shoot smaller f/stops with medium/higher speed film).

This rig (with the Plaubel Makina "Makiblitz" strobe adapter, works just great, it is reliably popping as it should, after some tweaking. I'm ready to start testing it making photographs. One of the Makina's main uses throughout it's long history was for lightweight reportage photography. This is going to be fun as an everyday reportage camera. Bulky but not too heavy.

[​IMG]2016-03-05 13.12.47 by Nokton48, on Flickr

25. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh Man Now I have done it.

I just bought another Plaubel Makina! This one is a Plaubel Makina IIIR, with the 100mm F4.2 Anticomar lens. According to Plaubel "The 100mm F4.2 Anticomar is a lens yielding the highest possible definition and contrast and is the objective for the photographer of every-day tasks, news, machines, architectural details and reproductions. It is the lens of the press photographer and traveler." The lens is incredibly rare and seldom comes up for sale. This one has some corrosion, and needs a good general cleaning. But I'm confident it can be made to be a good working camera. I paid $350 to CameraWest (they accepted my offer) and frankly I think the lens alone is prolly worth that :smile:

[​IMG]s-l1600 by Nokton48, on Flickr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282095945535?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

26. OP
    OP
    Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]2016-07-15 13.41.57 by Nokton48, on Flickr

My new Makina IIIR with 100mm F4.5 Anticomar (sharp lens), and my Makina III with 100mm F2.9 Anticomar (high-speed lens).

The new Makina IIIR is a bit worn, but rangefinder is good, shutter good, and should clean up nicely.

Glad to have them both! Makina IIIR has 1/400 speed shutter.

[​IMG]2016-07-15 13.43.30 by Nokton48, on Flickr

The two Anticomars side-by-side. The F4.2 on the left, the F2.9 on the right. Almost always the camera comes with the F2.9.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.