Help me spend my money (or talk me off this cliff)

Bottoms Up

A
Bottoms Up

Alayna-1

Alayna-1

Legion of Honor

A
Legion of Honor

Happy Hands

A
Happy Hands

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David1
Recent bookmarks

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
There are hundreds of threads like this on Photrio. They start out innocently enough, but by the end, the OP has been talked into buying a Leica, which is what he was hoping for at the outset. Nothing wrong with buying a Leica if you want one. It is just pretty funny (and predicable) to observe all the mental gymnastics people go through to reach that conclusion.

To paraphrase Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) in Casablanca, if you don't buy a Leica, you will regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

Last edited:

logan2z

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The "why not" is the little voice in the back of my head that questions if my photography is good enough to justify a near $2k purchase and who am I to spend that much on a camera... It feels extravagant for a mere hobbyist.
It is extravagant, but if you can afford it and it'll bring you joy, then who cares?

Buy it, try it and I suspect you'll not regret it. If at some point you decide to sell then you'll likely recoup your investment. There's really very little risk.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
A Leica IIIf is a beautiful camera, a very nice example with a modern CV lens should be available for under $1000,

OP
OP

mtnbkr

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
There are hundreds of threads like this on Photrio. They start out innocently enough, but by the end, the OP has been talked into buying a Leica, which is what he was hoping for at the outset. Nothing wrong with buying a Leica if you want one. It is just pretty funny (and predicable) to observe all the mental gymnastics people go through to reach that conclusion.

To paraphrase Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) in Casablanca, if you don't buy a Leica, you will regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
I was mainly fishing for a more dispassionate and logical view of the purchase.

It is extravagant, but if you can afford it and it'll bring you joy, then who cares?

Buy it, try it and I suspect you'll not regret it. If at some point you decide to sell then you'll likely recoup your investment. There's really very little risk.
That's a good point and one I keep reminding myself of.

A Leica IIIf is a beautiful camera, a very nice example with a modern CV lens should be available for under $1000,
It is, but the viewfinder/RF would be a downgrade from what I currently have and doesn't move me in the direction of using M-mount glass.

Chris

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The "why not" is the little voice in the back of my head that questions if my photography is good enough to justify a near $2k purchase and who am I to spend that much on a camera... It feels extravagant for a mere hobbyist.

Chris

You have spent your working life earning money to pay for things others wanted or needed. Now it is the time in your life to spend some money on something that you want or need. If you want it, will use it and will enjoy it, then now is the time to buy a little happiness in your life. -- that is what my girl friend tells me and it applies to you too. Life a little and enjoy life with a Leica.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

👏 👏 👏 👏

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The prices will only go up.

Mike Lopez

Shooter
Multi Format
@mtnbkr The advice given in post #76 is all you need (and with a great paraphrase from a hell of a great film, I might add!)

You started this thread by noting that you have a tidy pile of cash that you gained by liquidating “toys” from another hobby. In my view, you’re playing with house money, you’ve already paid the price of admission, and you should make the purchase and not look back. Sorry! 😈

OP
OP

mtnbkr

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
You have spent your working life earning money to pay for things others wanted or needed. Now it is the time in your life to spend some money on something that you want or need. If you want it, will use it and will enjoy it, then now is the time to buy a little happiness in your life. -- that is what my girl friend tells me and it applies to you too. Life a little and enjoy life with a Leica.

You started this thread by noting that you have a tidy pile of cash that you gained by liquidating “toys” from another hobby. In my view, you’re playing with house money, you’ve already paid the price of admission, and you should make the purchase and not look back. Sorry! 😈

You're both right.

Probably not unexpectedly I haven't seen any reason I shouldn't get the damn camera and plenty of enabling. I suppose this means I'll be earmarking a couple grand for the right example to come along.

So, M2, M4, M4-2, or M5? I'm thinking M2. M5 would be another option, I kind of like the shutter speed dial being handy while shooting.

Chris

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
You're both right.

Probably not unexpectedly I haven't seen any reason I shouldn't get the damn camera and plenty of enabling. I suppose this means I'll be earmarking a couple grand for the right example to come along.

So, M2, M4, M4-2, or M5? I'm thinking M2. M5 would be another option, I kind of like the shutter speed dial being handy while shooting.

Chris

M5 is terrible

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
In what way? I know it's bigger, but what other issues does it have?

Chris

Some people like the M5....but it is vastly atypical in size and feel to the M2,M3,M4,MP (yes and M7, M6). It is even larger than the Canon 7 camera. Fewer tech have parts to repair them. As well the meter cell is on a mechanical 'stick' which comes into place as you wind the film..... & that limits some of the lenses you can use.... i'e. collapsible lenses, or wide angles with large rear elements (21mm & early 28mm Leica lenses).

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If you are planning on spending at least a few grand, then how about a Leica R8 or 9? For that matter at that price point you can get a Alpa 10 or 11 with a 50mm lens, Pentax, Delft, Schneider made 50mm for Alpa. Alpa did not make their own lens they contracted with a number of lens makers, then tested and calibrated each lens for max performance. The had a rig that shot a test chart on glass plates, each plate was kept in file so that a lens that sent in for servicesing they Alpa knew how if left the factory. So a Pentax 50 1.4 while as good as the Swiss Kern, is a really sharp lens, it has the radioactive element and will likely out perform a standard off the shelf, 50 1.4.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If you are planning on spending at least a few grand, then how about a Leica R8 or 9? For that matter at that price point you can get a Alpa 10 or 11 with a 50mm lens, Pentax, Delft, Schneider made 50mm for Alpa. Alpa did not make their own lens they contracted with a number of lens makers, then tested and calibrated each lens for max performance. The had a rig that shot a test chart on glass plates, each plate was kept in file so that a lens that sent in for servicesing they Alpa knew how if left the factory. So a Pentax 50 1.4 while as good as the Swiss Kern, is a really sharp lens, it has the radioactive element and will likely out perform a standard off the shelf, 50 1.4.

Those are not film cameras and therefore not in consideration of being classic cameras. This is about film camera GAS only.

markjwyatt

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
...Life a little and enjoy life with a Leica.

I think I detect a major mistake in your response. Let me correct it for you:

"Life a little and enjoy life with a Hasselblad"

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format

Allow me to help a bit:

"Live a little and enjoy life with whatever camera you like."

Mike Lopez

Shooter
Multi Format
Those are not film cameras and therefore not in consideration of being classic cameras. This is about film camera GAS only.

Wow. They are SLRs, which is not the same as “not film cameras.” They are film cameras.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Wow. They are SLRs, which is not the same as “not film cameras.” They are film cameras.

The R8 and 9 takes an optional digital back, other then an odd ball early Kodak digital camera that took a film back one of the few that could. But if OP want all mechanical then a Leica SL or SL/SL2.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

I expect you are confusing the Leica R8 and R9 film SLRs with the Leica M8 and M9 digital cameras.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

The OP is interested in buying a Leica. Since that is his favorite drug he should meet that need first. Later he may seek a Hasselblad, but for now he has to take the first steps of buying his heart's desire.

Allow me to help a bit:

"Live a little and enjoy life with whatever camera you like."

That too. I can drink to that.

Mike Lopez

Shooter
Multi Format
The R8 and 9 takes an optional digital back, other then an odd ball early Kodak digital camera that took a film back one of the few that could. But if OP want all mechanical then a Leica SL or SL/SL2.

Optional backs for the R8 and R9, sure. But what were they out of the box when introduced?

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Optional backs for the R8 and R9, sure. But what were they out of the box when introduced?

Both are film cameras that had the capacity to take an optional digital back, as I recall the Kodak model was a digital camera, cropped, that could take a film back. I need to look up the model number. I've seen Leica digital backs on Ebay on occasion, forgot how many MP, really expensive when new.

btaylor

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format

Chris
All great choices! I love my M2 (my-go to lenses are the classic 35/50/90mm), so a perfect fit. The M2 is a classic machine in every sense and you’ll enjoy that. I picked up an M5 later- very different: it’s larger- but fits great in my hand, has an easy to use spot meter (the match needle/shutter speed ergonomics are wonderful), and I dig the look of the black chrome 3 lug version I have. I don’t use ultra wide lenses so the meter stalk isn’t an issue, and if I use a collapsible lens on it I just don’t collapse it!

• mshchem
  • Deleted
  • Reason: I get carried away.
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom