Help me spend my money (or talk me off this cliff)

Little People

A
Little People

Marseille-9.jpg

A
Marseille-9.jpg

Marseille-16.jpg

A
Marseille-16.jpg

Marseille-6.jpg

A
Marseille-6.jpg

Marseille-5.jpg

A
Marseille-5.jpg

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmurthy2
Recent bookmarks
OP
OP

mtnbkr

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If you have waited for years, then you have your answer. Go for it. If not you will kick yourself because you will have missed using it and the price will go above your means. Do it now.
Weighing in here as I feel like I’ve been in a similar situation. I used my high school’s M2 in photo class. It was heaven, kinda defined 35mm photography for me. Buying one was totally out of the question. So I settled for a long time with an Olympus OM1. Great camera and optics, but not a Leica. Along the way I tried a Contax IIa and a Contax G1. Finally got the M2 a few years ago. Should have buckled down and saved for one years ago- I enjoy using it so much. Comfort with your tools is a real thing. I would encourage you to get what you really want. Use the lenses you have now and try some others later if you feel like it.

Enablers both of you. :D

Chris

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I've spent most of my life shooting SLRs and only got into rangefinders a couple years ago. The rangefinder is edging out the SLR for a number of reasons, but I still like both. I've never shot with a proper MF camera, so this would be an excursion in to the unknown.

Chris

Just do not leave yourself with regrets. You could buy both. :angel:

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
Since you seem to be narrowing in on a M bayonet Leica camera, that narrows down the search. I'm sure there is a list somewhere of all of these REAL M Leicas somewhere with a table comparing their features.

There are over 350 Leica M6 cameras on EBAY at any time to choose from.

Last edited:

BHuij

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Maybe look at a Pentax 645 or 645N. You get the medium format negative, but the camera isn't a whole lot bigger or different to use than a 35mm SLR. So all the cool extra shallow DoF options and additional resolution of medium format without much of a compromise in the "bring the camera somewhere you were going to go anyway" department.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Or a Mamiya 6 rangefinder - the newer version, offering some lens choice.

Shooter
Multi Format
Like previosly said, if you are itching for a Leica, I would say, go ahead. Nothing heals a Leica itch better that a Leica. Leica M's are pretty fun cameras to use. Also, if you later see that Leica is not your cup of tea, you can sell it without much lost to your investment (probably even get some profit if you sell it in the right time).

On the MF side, I would vouch for Bronica ETRS. They are small/light enough to bring them on a trip and not being a burden and versatile enough to be used in most photo situations.

Wish you luck.

runswithsizzers

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Yeah, I've gotten better about that these last couple years (have offset my other hobby by substituting training instead of buying more stuff).

I'm not sure waiting will do much since I've wanted one for years, but now I have un-allocated cash in hand. :D

Chris

Then go for it.

Back in about 2009, I got this crazy idea, I wanted a MINI Cooper. A friend advised me to wait a year to see if I still wanted one. I did.

Today, that car still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

spencer-X2.jpg

koraks

Shooter
Multi Format
Today, that car still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Really? My girlfriend's daily driver is a Mini. Dear God. The money we spent on getting BMW's Vanos system to behave properly once more. Not that the problem was ever solved entirely. She's now driving it until the next major defect and will then ditch it in favor for something more sensible.
I can see how it's fun to drive though. For 30 minutes.
I'm too old for go-karts, I guess :wink:

(The woman was very happy with it for a while though! I gotta admit to that. I don't think that lasted a full year though.)

snusmumriken

Shooter
35mm
I do have a Leica (old M6), so obviously I'm not going to say "Don't buy one" - but as far as appreciation of finely-made mechanical objects goes, I actually get more pleasure from contemplating the snug and ingenious design of my Rollei 35 Tessar, which can be had for far less money than an M2, and which - surprisingly perhaps - is capable of top class photos.

VinceInMT

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I too am into older mechanical things (I have several vintage foreign cars, lots of reel-to-reel tape machines, etc.) and I hear you regarding using a new piece of equipment to reignite the passion. What I have found is that less can be more in that regard. Working within constraints, either by the equipment or the assignment to shoot, can really fire up one’s creativity.

You might step gently into the MF world by acquiring an older, but functional, twin-lens like a Rollie or a Mamiya. Personally I shoot a Rolliecord VB that I bought in 1975 and it still works great. I carry no extra equipment other than a light meter (Gossen LunaSix3) and find that both the square format and the waist-level viewfinder encourages me to slow down and ponder my subject matter. If you are already developing film, adding a tank and reel for 120 is a minimal expense.

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Since we're spending your money, I'd suggest that an M2 would be a huge change from your Canon, & you can use the same lenses you have. And like Vincent said.....a Rolleiflex or Rolleicord would be a great MF addition...any iteration any lens. It's a classic combo.

Steven Lee

Shooter
Medium Format
Based on your description I would agree with your own suggestion of consolidating all of your 35mm gear to a single Leica with a couple of lenses. Don't worry about expensive Leica glass. I own several high-end ASPH Summiluxes but I greatly prefer Voigtlander lenses due to their petite size, comparable optical performance and - surprisingly - superior build quality. They go for $250-500 used.

One rarely mentioned advantage of Leicas is that - unlike all other cameras - you can still purchase a brand-new diopter for their viewfinders that matches your prescription perfectly. I too struggle with SLR focusing because finding a correct eyepiece for them is a huge PITA.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I too am into older mechanical things (I have several vintage foreign cars, lots of reel-to-reel tape machines, etc.) and I hear you regarding using a new piece of equipment to reignite the passion. What I have found is that less can be more in that regard. Working within constraints, either by the equipment or the assignment to shoot, can really fire up one’s creativity.

You might step gently into the MF world by acquiring an older, but functional, twin-lens like a Rollie or a Mamiya. Personally I shoot a Rolliecord VB that I bought in 1975 and it still works great. I carry no extra equipment other than a light meter (Gossen LunaSix3) and find that both the square format and the waist-level viewfinder encourages me to slow down and ponder my subject matter. If you are already developing film, adding a tank and reel for 120 is a minimal expense.

Which makes the Hasselblad with its upward and downward compatibility since 1957 perfect for you. :wink:

markjwyatt

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If you only need one lens, and you have a hankering for 6x6, go for a folder. Otherwise consider a TLR (Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, Mamiya C, Yashica, Zeiss, etc.). Mamiya C does open possibility for additional lenses if you choose.

guangong

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
When photographing, most important is how a given camera feels in the hands. It must be comfortable. Like you, for walking around, next is portability. Is an M2 has a nice feel for you, go for it. Choice of camera is very personal, not one size fits all. That's why more than one manufacturer made cameras. Leicas are not the materially best built cameras (Nikon & Canon are much better), but the M3 design put the others out of the RF business. Yet, other RF cameras have their fans.
If you really want a walking around camera, have you considered a Minox 8x11, such as a C or LX? Minox cameras have no f stops, but shutter speeds to 1000th or 2000th sec., as well as built in ND filters for getting proper shutter speed. The lens is a super highly corrected f3.5. The best spies of all countries used Minox to copy documents, photograph installations, etc. Prints up to 4x5 or 5x7 not difficult to achieve. A Minox can be carried in your pants pocket along with loose change and be unnoticeable. No need to not have a camera with you.
At one time these little cameras were very expensive luxury items (except for governments) but are now quite affordable, and you could still get that M2. Using your ltm lenses is a good idea. A collapsible Elmar, or Canon, makes a handy package.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
When photographing, most important is how a given camera feels in the hands. It must be comfortable. Like you, for walking around, next is portability. Is an M2 has a nice feel for you, go for it. Choice of camera is very personal, not one size fits all. That's why more than one manufacturer made cameras. Leicas are not the materially best built cameras (Nikon & Canon are much better), but the M3 design put the others out of the RF business. Yet, other RF cameras have their fans.
If you really want a walking around camera, have you considered a Minox 8x11, such as a C or LX? Minox cameras have no f stops, but shutter speeds to 1000th or 2000th sec., as well as built in ND filters for getting proper shutter speed. The lens is a super highly corrected f3.5. The best spies of all countries used Minox to copy documents, photograph installations, etc. Prints up to 4x5 or 5x7 not difficult to achieve. A Minox can be carried in your pants pocket along with loose change and be unnoticeable. No need to not have a camera with you.
At one time these little cameras were very expensive luxury items (except for governments) but are now quite affordable, and you could still get that M2. Using your ltm lenses is a good idea. A collapsible Elmar, or Canon, makes a handy package.

The Minox might not be good for someone with large hands and fat fingers.

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format

OP
OP

mtnbkr

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

I wish. I simply can't justify it. I'll have to settle for something older. :smile:

Chris

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
In that case, I doubt that you have a serious case of GAS. Just a little heartburn. Take a TUMS and call me in the morning.

OP
OP

mtnbkr

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I do have a Leica (old M6), so obviously I'm not going to say "Don't buy one" - but as far as appreciation of finely-made mechanical objects goes, I actually get more pleasure from contemplating the snug and ingenious design of my Rollei 35 Tessar, which can be had for far less money than an M2, and which - surprisingly perhaps - is capable of top class photos.

My current reels and tank can handle 120, which I've developed once before, so I'm good in that regard. One upside of 120 negs, even if I don't print large, is they will be easier to evaluate for printing.

Since we're spending your money, I'd suggest that an M2 would be a huge change from your Canon, & you can use the same lenses you have. And like Vincent said.....a Rolleiflex or Rolleicord would be a great MF addition...any iteration any lens. It's a classic combo.
Did you mean to say the M2 would be a huge change from the Canon? Can you expand on that a bit? I can see some differences, but I'm always curious about other's take (aside from the trite comments about Leica perfection and such).

Which makes the Hasselblad with its upward and downward compatibility since 1957 perfect for you. :wink:
You're really pushing this Swedish camera thing. :D

Agree with the human/mechanical interface being important. It has to feel good in the hands. As for the Minox suggestion, I already have a Rollei A110 which is close enough.

Chris

OP
OP

mtnbkr

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
In that case, I doubt that you have a serious case of GAS. Just a little heartburn. Take a TUMS and call me in the morning.

You're probably right. A Tums or maybe a few rolls of interesting film might set me right. :D

Chris

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
My current reels and tank can handle 120, which I've developed once before, so I'm good in that regard. One upside of 120 negs, even if I don't print large, is they will be easier to evaluate for printing.

Did you mean to say the M2 would be a huge change from the Canon? Can you expand on that a bit? I can see some differences, but I'm always curious about other's take (aside from the trite comments about Leica perfection and such).

You're really pushing this Swedish camera thing. :D

Agree with the human/mechanical interface being important. It has to feel good in the hands. As for the Minox suggestion, I already have a Rollei A110 which is close enough.

Chris

That was part of the commitment which I had to make to take the job. :wink:

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom