Hello APUG from FILM Ferrania (PART 2)

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Sean, Sep 18, 2015.

1. FILM Ferrania

FILM Ferrania Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for this. I'm really not schooled on the exact timelines of everything. I'm not even sure exactly when Carestream became a free-standing entity. I only know that their coater (or one of their coaters?) was built by Ferrania and shares the same control mechanisms as our own.

In fact, when my partners learned this, they were very excited that Carestream could coat for us. Essentially, with one day of coating, they could make all of the P30 film we would sell in the next 12 months, which would take a huge burden off our staff's shoulders.

But like I said, for one reason or another, this proved to be yet another dead end. I'm not sure if it was because of Carestream or because we were somehow unprepared...

2. Jon Gilchrist

Jon Gilchrist Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would it be feasible to sell bulk rolls of P30? Either in 135 or 120? I've never seen 120 in bulk, but I have about a hundred empty spools with backing paper (I'm crazy and don't throw them out) and could feasibly reload them in the dark. Bulk 135 would still need to be slit and perfed, but the packaging would be simpler. Just wondering. I love the P30 that I've shot so far and would like to try it in 120.

3. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes I agree, this could be a good option to get p30 out there, as there are many who load bulk rolls and would help speed up sales with less work required in packaging the product etc.
    I know Dave said at the time this was not an option right now because the production levels were not high enough, but this may have changed now and it might be worth pursuing.

4. Ces1um

Ces1um Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I wish Ferrania all the luck in the world. I loved the 5 rolls I purchased and shot my last roll of it today. It seems like you've hit every red light and speed bump along the way that you could. Hopefully things improve for you sooner rather than later.

5. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    35mm bulk film would likely require that they get a perforator up and runing, it is unclear if they provided their "partner" with pre-perforated rolls. Also they might not have a machine that could put frame numbers on bulk rolls.

teh 35mm Cassette loading station that showed at the time of teh kickstarter was an all in one setup with did everything from bending flat casettes to perforating and packing the finshed rolls. I would guess that they would need their entire current staff to run it if it was still set up the way it was left with the old company shut down. Probably would do a few thousand rolls an hour.

that is the machine that Dave was looking for interest from another firm is going together on resurrecting.

if I was reading between the lines corectly from his last post, they need some sort of device like that running before it makes sense for them to coat some more film.

6. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I thought they had a perforator all working, ive seen their video of it that was posted some time earlier, i think the issue is with finishing the rolls and packaging them into 135 canisters, which was done by a third party.

7. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That’s exactly what I thought, too.

8. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    the unit in their video was for 35mm movie print film. Same size holes but no frame numbers , just (probably still would say 3M) brand ID every 18 inches or so.

9. Born2Late

Born2Late Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wouldn't care about frame numbers and would be happy with 100 foot rolls!

Go for it.

10. FILM Ferrania

FILM Ferrania Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy New Year APUGgers!

To answer the recent burst of posts...

1) When we can safely produce and sell bulk rolls, we most certainly will do so. By "safely" I mean:
    a) When we are producing more than enough finished rolls - in both B&W and color - to fulfill basic market demand for both direct and wholesale.
    b) When we have sufficient cash flow from single rolls that selling bulk rolls doesn't negatively affect us due to the infrequency of bulk purchases.

2) Regarding perforation, we have a number of solutions in-house. Our 35mm cinema perforator works because our founder Marco Pagni restored it years ago - but most of our perforators need a little work before they are "sales-ready". Right now, it's better to perforate and sign as part of the overall finishing process. When our automated 35mm line is up and running, we will of course perforate and sign in-house. Until then, it is done by our finishing partner.

11. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just out of curiosity, who is your finishing partner?

12. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Which of course brings up the question, besides the initial orders and the small quantity of film that was apparently supplied to some camera stores when can be help your cash flow by ordering a brick of film. I have 4 of my five rolls of the initial batch sitting here as 4 rolls is not enough to do the testing and fiddling needed to trust the film for serious photos. The one I did shoot just to the published specs did look extremely intriguing.

"shop" page still says opening soon.

GEE, we WANT to buy stuff! Any 620 or 127 spools in the warehouse? Any memorabilia? Key-chains? :smile: :smile:

13. FILM Ferrania

FILM Ferrania Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only way anyone can help our cash flow for the near future is by actually shooting the film they buy and then buying more as it is available.
    Perhaps when I post the next version of the Best Practices, with some newly verified processing techniques, this will be enough for you to use those other four rolls so that you're ready to buy more soon?
    Our Instagram stream would suggest that plenty of people have made "serious" photos without the need to wait.

Of course we WANT to sell stuff, but we can't sell what we don't have.
    We're building up our 35mm stock as best we can and working on installing our 120 finishing line.
    620 isn't coming any time soon, but we do hope to make a small batch of 127 later this year (assuming we can clear enough profit to get our antique 127 finishing machine installed).

As far as other stuff, we still have totes and postcards that we made in 2014 - but that's it for now, and they will be sold only in our US shop (because that's where they are located and it makes no financial sense to import them to the EU).
    We simply cannot justify the cost to make other stuff right now. Every euro we have now and will make in the coming months must be invested in raw materials, our factory staff, and getting that 120 machine online.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. FILM Ferrania

FILM Ferrania Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been told that they do not wish to be identified. I think it's silly, but them's the rules...

16. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Some more 35mm would be lovely.

I am unable to locate your US shop anymore. http://shop.filmferrania.it/ does not respond. netcraft does show it as being owned by "Dott. Ing. Nicola Baldini" and the DNS from Amazon web services.

17. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    http://www.filmferrania.com/

18. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rules is rules. Thanks, Dave.

19. twelvetone12

twelvetone12 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can't wait to get my hands on more P30. Hope in volume discounts :smile:

20. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, but the shop link there says "the shop will reopen soon" Mr. Bias said that they still had non film related items available for sale in their US shop. perhaps it only works if one is useing a US based IP address.

21. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm in the US and if I select 'SHOP", I see the following:

THE SHOP WILL REOPEN SOON!
    We are in the process of stocking our warehouses and building an entirely new shop.

To be alerted, please join our email newsletter list, if you are not already subscribed.

22. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The shop is still closed.

23. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I remember them saying they were shooting for February. I'd check back on 2/28.

24. DaveTheWalker

DaveTheWalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...February 2028 is a little pessimistic ;o)

25. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the US "2/28" means February 28th. I should have included the year so there was no confusion. 02/28/2018.

26. DaveTheWalker

DaveTheWalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know, I was trying to be witty :smile: