Hello APUG from FILM Ferrania (PART 2)

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Sean, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    We are splitting this thread due to some system issues, please continue discussions here.

The original thread is here: (there was a url link here which no longer exists)

Hello APUG users!

My name is Dave Bias and I'm the US Director for FILM Ferrania. As most of you know, we have successfully completed our Kickstarter campaign with an amazing 5582 backers and 128% funding.

To all of you who have contributed to the (very active!) threads here on APUG and to those who are also backers - you have our most sincere thanks.

I'd like to apologize that we haven't shown our face here sooner. We have been lurking, but we are just 2 people here in the US and we have been fairly overwhelmed by the flood of attention.

Also, after scanning the most active threads, it became clear to me that APUG users are far more technically minded and you are very aware of both the state of the industry, and of the inherent complexity of manufacturing photosensitive materials of any sort. Seeing this, I thought it would be best to wait until I have some clear time to be able to answer questions properly. No cut-and-paste responses will work here! :wink:

With that said - I am here to answer any questions you might have, to the best of my ability. If I don't know the answer myself, I will ask the factory team in Italy.

I have created a dedicated tab in my browser and I will actively monitor this thread.

Fire away!

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For the record, that message is dated October 29, 2014.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Thank you Sean. Way back in the days of the deleted thread, it was discovered that very long threads would have fragmentation problems and users were not always able to see the latest postings. Based on past history the steps that Sean has taken will solve this problem until the thread becomes really long again.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To put it quite simple: we talk too much.

5. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    does Dave Bias know that the thread's been split I wonder?

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Was Dave split on the Bias? :laugh:

7. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope things are progressing at Ferrania. They were supposed to be back in the facility in September. It'd be nice to have an update.

8. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I see two things:
    Either, they are probably working so hard that they havnt had time to make an update, possibly wanting to give us a surprise and say their first roll is ready to come off.
    Or...
    They have had another hurdle to get round which wouldnt surprise me, although i see progress is being made which is good news, its not easy to undertake what they are doing, but its going to pay off in the long run.

9. kuparikettu

kuparikettu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's also possible that the company in charge of delivering and installing the new chiller unit hasn't been able to do it in the time frame promised.

On the Facebook page they replied to an Italian fan of theirs on 12th of September:
    Per chi conosce il nostro paese sa che fare le cose in Italia è quasi impossibile!
    For those who know our country knows that doing things in Italy is almost impossible! (Google Translate)

10. twelvetone12

twelvetone12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think that is referred to the asbestos removal. These kind of things can take years in Italy. I'm pretty positive for Ferrania since it all worked out so quickly.

11. FILM Ferrania

FILM Ferrania Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know about the split now!

12. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    The Impossible? Dead Link Removed! :cool:

13. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great ! What is happening Baby :wink:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not a backer as I do not work with colour...but I sure enjoy the updates!

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not true.
    The dutch guys were not able to do the impossible, even think of it. Input came from abroad.

17. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    they do one part of the imposible, the German guys they work with also do a part. And no doubt many others contribute.

18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is not the issue I'm referring too.

19. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A new update arrived via Kickstarter! Most major roadblocks have been removed and progress is now being made. The factory is now being assembled with the final unknown being the certification of everything by the Italian government. Expect a new timeline in the near future!

Forza Ferrania!

20. ME Super

ME Super Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent news! Hopefully we'll see some fine Ferrania reversal film soon (Kickstarter backers first of course, the rest of us have to wait a bit longer, as we should).

21. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One question for Dave,
    Im interested to know how the old chiller system worked since the article suggests it relied on the steam pipeline from Ferrania technologies before the pipeline was cut for the new road.

You dont imagine that hot steam can be used for cooling things down, but i expect this was used to drive some other steam powered equipment?

22. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now THAT should go quickly and smoothly, eh?

23. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure, this is a big unknown, but if I recall right, the Italian government has some pretty strong incentives to get Ferrania up and running. THat's what the update said anyway.

Forza Ferrania!!

24. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thumb to fingertip of first two fingers. Now rub back and forth slowly...

25. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why a refrigeration system would need certification i have no idea, i thought we were PC enough in this country, clearly not! lol

26. FILM Ferrania

FILM Ferrania Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format

It certainly sounds odd, but in fact the Chillers, as well as most of the big machinery, are powered by steam-generated electricity. This is primarily for cost reasons, but also because that's how the LRF was configured originally. We were connected to the local water supply a long time ago, and over the summer, we installed our own steam generator. So we are now able to make steam power internally instead of relying on Ferrania Technologies to deliver it to us via the old pipeline.

For other power needs (lights, as well as lab and office equipment, mostly), we were connected to the regional grid last year, after we were removed from the "campus grid" that was powered by a very large generator in its own building closer to the entrance of the campus. There is a picture of the old generator on our website somewhere, but that building is long gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.