Forte Polywarmtone

Discussion in '[Partner] ADOX' started by ADOX Fotoimpex, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's good to hear.

Ian

2. Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That's great news. Thank you for letting us know.

3. NB23

NB23 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    PRice it well and it'll be a success

4. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi Mirko,
    Good to hear you are making progress. I can't wait to test it as photo printing paper and as a paper negative too.
    So if you'll need a test panel ....

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

5. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Huh. Not sure why I didnt get a notification of this update, but good news! 2 years without news was worrying me deeply. I've been looking at my box of polywarmtone in the freezer wondering: should I use it? Is it safe to use it up yet? Or will I never see more? How badly is it fogged? I want to hear some news so I can use it up and not worry that its gone forever. I hope 2016 is indeed the year of polywarmtone.

I was also looking at some of my prints on graded Fortezo and they are lovely as all heck. Does Adox have that recipe too? Not that I am greedy-I'll be happy for one or the other, just curious.

6. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  7. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Would love to buy some Polywarmtone in 2016! I know it should be lithable, but have you done any lith tests on the new paper?

8. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I suspect it will be lithable too. So I hope it will be buyable in 2016 as well.

9. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If its the same emulsion (which is the whole point) it is very lithable

10. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    in fact I think I'm going to try lith printing as a way to start using up my remaining stock of Forte papers...they've been hanging around long enough that they're only going to go downhill from here now...might as well use them while I can and hope the new old paper returns within a year or 2 at most.

11. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    From the Tim Rudman Newsletter (April 17th, 2016):

"Polywarmtone paper project gathering speed
    I have covered this ongoing project to revive Forte's beautiful Polywarmtone paper extensively in the past, together with the hope that this might also bring a new and much needed lith printing paper to the market, a process for which the original PWT excelled. Eventually progress slowed and for a while there appeared little to report. Some of you may have thought that the project had stopped, but you would be wrong. Adox have good credibility here. In the past they successfully revived Agfa's MCC paper and have now also produced a silver chloride contact paper as reported above. Last year I reported that Adox acquired Ilford's medium scale coating plant, which opened the way up for them to make relatively small coating runs of film and paper themselves. The good and potentially exciting news is that Adox are currently undertaking tests to establish what influences paper's 'lithability'. They are also trying to adjust the paper's red safelight requirement to orange. The paper, I am told, will then be ready to go into production. If all goes well the anticipated target date is Photokina 2016 (September 20-25). Although 'lithability' has not yet been established I am sure that, like me, many printers out there will be keeping their fingers crossed!
    "

12. RobC

RobC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think cadmium is banned in the EU which is why quite a few old papers disappeared. If last Polywarmtone was using cadmium then new one would be a different formulation and not an exact replacement.

I only used one box of the stuff a long time ago and got very red tones which I didn't like. However, I probably didn't do enough testing/experimentation to find what it was capable of. I suspect it was the old stuff that had cadmium in it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  13. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm pretty positive cadmium was not in the last formulation of the paper. I'm not sure it ever was in there.

Interesting that artists have successfully prevented the ban of cadmium paints in EU.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I like to check back in this thread every couple years and see how polywarmtone is coming along. Any progress to report?

16. bence8810

bence8810 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Signing up for comments as well!

17. OP
    OP
    ADOX Fotoimpex

ADOX Fotoimpex Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From the paper´s side we are still working on the MG capability and safelight issues but actually we have not done much work at all over the summer.
    We had to prioritise on the CHS 100 II project due to the unavailability of the respective coating facility. Since this is a product in the channel on hold, it is more important to us and we simply have as many people as we have to do work. But this has only a minor impact on PW because what we do now is getting the small coating machine in Switzerland ready for production which we would have had to do for PW as well. Once it is ready to coat silver halides in the dark again (it was once used for this but has coated mainly inkjet in the past 10 years so we have to re-learn those skills) we can make the film and shortly after at least one first variant of PW (possibly with a fixed grade) as a testrun.

Best regards,

Mirko

18. Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm happy to hear you're still working on it. I can't wait to print on Polywarmtone again. :D

19. baachitraka

baachitraka Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fixed graded paper sounds good.

20. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When it is ready I will print on it!

21. K-G

K-G Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The day I can print a newly photographed CHS 100 II negative on new Polywarmtone, I will open up a bottle of good German wine.

Karl-Gustaf

22. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I would love to test the PW for you. I'm also curious how this paper will react in lith printing.
    Bert from Holland

23. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mirko-- Thank you for the update. It's good to know the project has not been cancelled. As always, we look forward to future developments and availability of Polywarmtone.

24. bence8810

bence8810 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Mirko,

Just checking if there's an update to this perhaps? I just went to the Polywarmtone project's site and there are no updates to the blog since 2014 year end...

Thanks,
    Ben

25. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    3 months ago is a pretty recent update for this project. But, since nearly 8 years has passed I think its time to start wondering whether this will ever actually happen. I hope so, but I'm 8 years older since I started hoping.

26. bence8810

bence8810 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still have some stock left but very little. Less than 50 sheets now :sad:
    On the plus side I did find that I can nicely tone Forte Bromofort paper - of which I have a fairly large stash, albeit small sizes.

Hoping for some good news! If fixed contrast, I'll be in for an order of Grade 3!
    Ben

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.