Film Ferrania p30

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Ces1um, Apr 24, 2017.

1. lantau

lantau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I lost your reply a little while. I went for a holiday shortly after your posting. I scanned the table, the English instructions and the dilution table from the infosheet. If anyone thinks it is a better idea to post this somewhere else on this site then let me know.

Attached Files:

2. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wonder whether anyone's tried Bergger's Berspeed? On recommendation from Catlabs, I've picked up some Berspeed to use with my Jobo. I've very much been an Ilford ID-11 man, but this is supposed to top that according to CLabs folks, so seems worth a shot. But I'll have to wait for P30 to come out in 120 or MF to give me a break... so I can process the 35mm P40 I've shot. Been busy 'round these parts!!!

3. Scott Micciche

Scott Micciche Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ferrania P30 Alpha box speed, developed in Adox Silvermax, 1:29 11 minutes 20C 1 minute continuous, 1 inversion/30s thereafter.

Cataloged in lightroom, no adjustments.

Pakon F135 scans to raw, inverted in colorperfect.

Please see the flickr link for more photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thekurgan/albums/72157692998955080

Thanks for taking a look. 25.jpg 00.jpg 01.jpg 03.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 27.jpg

4. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I absolutely loved the P80 rolls I got. I found it to be accurate to box speed in a 1:100 rodinal stand.
    It looks gorgeous on reflective objects... Vintage cars, metal objects, etc. But especially so in subdued / diffuse light.
    Not unlike Pan F+.

I haven't gotten around to printing it wet (but i'm very much looking forward to) so keep that in mind.

5. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for posting that info.

6. schyter

schyter Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Ferrania P30 @ 80 iso (*)
    Adox Adonal 1+50 - 16min - 18 °C
    Kodak StopBath (30sec.) Adofix rapid fixer (3min 30sec)
    wash (Ilford metod)
    Adoflo wetting agent (1min)

Zenit 19 (* lightmeter on board camera!)
    1) Helios 44M-4
    2) Jupiter 37A
    3) Helios 44M-4
    4) Mir 20
    5) Jupiter 37A

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Scott Micciche

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These are gorgeous! I have noticed that the rodinal developers, and similar (Paranol) are quite effective with the P30.

8. schyter

schyter Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    thanks a lot Scott Micciche (italian ancestors ??) ...
    according to information I received during the presentation day in Milan, by Nicola Baldini (CEO Ferrania),
    it is a film that has to be developed thoroughly with generous timing. Also according to Nicola the Rodinal is certainly among the major candidates for an excellent development.
    To try to keep the contrast under control, I preferred to develop at 18 ° C with minimal and delicate overturns. :smile:

9. Scott Micciche

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. ~ 8 minutes for more or less stock solutions seems to work well. D76 1:1 around 13 minutes at 50 ISO is also very good.

Adox silvermax, by far, has been the best negatives I've seen.

Yes, Sicilian ancestry as well as Campagna and Alto Adige.

10. martinjames

martinjames Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well, I'm really late to the P30 party but finally got around to shooting a couple of rolls recently. (I received my 5 rolls many months ago). One advantage of waiting, however, is being able to note the efforts and results of others!
    My first roll was developed in Ilfosol S using the recommended times/dilution. Results were ok but very contrasty and unfortunately the one frame I really liked was compromised by some streaks, visible in the open sky area. For my second roll I went with the 60 minute, semi-stand Rodinal technique. What a difference! Still plagued by the streaking at times, but they were better hidden in these subjects. Really happy with the smooth tonal gradations this film provides. All of these are scanned with Silverfast 8, no curves, sharpening, etc, with an Epson V750.
    More images in this Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143969567@N04/albums/72157673572241698

P30_R2_12a.jpg

P30_R2_5.jpg

P30_R2_11.jpg

P30_R2_2.jpg

11. Scott Micciche

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Strange regarding the streaking, but these Rodinal images are very nice!

12. martinjames

martinjames Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks, Scott. I recall that some users mentioned long ago, on the Ferrania P30 blog, they had seen some lines appearing. I assume these are emulsion coating issues in the early, small batch production. In any case, I hope Ferrania can get the supply started up again soon since my 5 rolls will soon be used up!
    I shot this second roll at a less than ideal time (mid-afternoon with a blazing sun up above) and so I still had some frames where the highlights were over-cooked a bit.

13. Scott Micciche

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe some early rolls had some marks or scratches. The semi-stand should help out with some of those highlights.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. martinjames

martinjames Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Assuming P30 becomes readily available it may be a film that I load into two bodies, keeping shots requiring less highlight development (or, an entirely different developer) on one roll.
    I think I might want to give the Silvermax developer a try with it also, as I see you have excellent results with it.

16. martinjames

martinjames Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    These pictures are superb! May I ask the location?

17. Scott Micciche

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Silvermax produced the best negatives for me, with a runner-up being the Paranol S and then the FF No. 1 monobath. The silvermax carries no ORM-D tag, so I expect shipping to be easier to parts of the world where ORM-D isn't allowed. I have no experience with its shelf life once opened, however.

I have a roll of Silvermax 100 that will be developed in it this week; I had opened the silvermax 2 months prior and it is still clear.

18. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll try it when it comes out in sheet film. Looks quite nice.

19. lantau

lantau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last weekend I finally finished my first bottle of Silvermax developer. It must have been open for around to two years. I also use Spur HRX which has been first used in August 2016 and is quite coloured by now. I hardly used it, probably because I didn't want to 'waste' the expensive fine grain dev of ordinary jobs. But I'm currently doing all my HP5+ in it in order to use it up.

Foma developers get slightly coloured in the unopened bottle upon long storage and stronger in opened bottles. All my Fomadon LQN, opened and unopened, has been expired for a year now. I keep opened Fomafon in the fridge, actually. But they all work. What I do, however, is to use butane gas (Protectan) to cover all my developers.

I bought a fresh bottle of Silvermax developer just over a year ago. It's been sitting unopened waiting for the first bottle to be finished. I looks fine. If there is any colour change it is minimal. Being a chemist, originally, I'm not as worried about the shelf live of chemicals as much as many others here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.