Threads
Members
Latest member
gigidamico
Recent bookmarks

4season

Shooter
Plastic Cameras
Perhaps this Gelto found on a fleamarket this last Sunday.
By the way, I wonder if anyone might have a suggestion as to what the legend on the 'autofacus' housing says? Can it be Japanese or perhaps Hebrew? Thank you for any suggestions!

Interesting! Gelto cameras and Grimmel optics are Japanese:
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Semi_Gelto

Suspect that is a 3rd party rangefinder, such were not unknown:
https://retinarescue.com/geltod3.html

"Autofocus" likely means that it's coupled to the lens.

Update: Found it: It's got a "Cyclon" rangefinder:
https://ameblo.jp/foto-pooh/entry-12494825652.html

Last edited:

reddesert

Shooter
Hybrid

The Gelto and Cyclon rangefinder are shown here also: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Gelto#Rangefinder_conversions

To me the inscription looks maybe like stylized katakana script for "Su-ga-ko", (or maybe "Su-ga-yu"?) and the camera-wiki article says the rangefinders were made by Sugaya or Sugaya Koki, which is close but not quite.

4season

Shooter
Plastic Cameras
The Gelto and Cyclon rangefinder are shown here also: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Gelto#Rangefinder_conversions

To me the inscription looks maybe like stylized katakana script for "Su-ga-ko", (or maybe "Su-ga-yu"?) and the camera-wiki article says the rangefinders were made by Sugaya or Sugaya Koki, which is close but not quite.

I came up with the same translation from katakana and it made no sense at first, but you've given me an idea: It might be a contraction of "Sugaya Optical" (Sugaya Kogyo). The same article you cite mentions that they branded other products in English as "Sugaya Optical Co., Ltd." Fun armchair detective stuff!

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
If it ever arrives, an 80/5.6 Grandagon. According to Thiele (news from Arne Croell, to whom all credit is due), 1 of 351.

Kodachromeguy

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If it ever arrives, an 80/5.6 Grandagon. According to Thiele (news from Arne Croell, to whom all credit is due), 1 of 351.
Fascinating. Before your note, I did not know that this lens existed. According to Bob Salomon on photo.net:

"The only info we have on this lens is from an old Linhof book which
shows it having a coverage of 165mm. The book was copyright in 1973.

Our oldest Rodenstock dealer catalog only lists the price of the lens
in 1975 in Copal 0 shutter. At that time it was $995.00 list. However
it had already been discontinued as the 1975 data sheet on Grandagons
does not include it."

Almost $1000 in 1975? Wow.

Lachlan Young

Shooter
Multi Format
Not a camera but an MPP Micromatic 5x7 autofocus enlarger with cold cathode head - with the original set of 3 lenses, each of them serial number matched to the autofocus cams - I believe only about 300 of these enlargers were made/ assembled from the early 1950's through to the early 1980's. Think Omega E3/ E4 with some slight variations.

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
Well, its pretty obscure. If Bob's price is right it was more expensive than the 75/4.5 Biogon. It was certainly much, much more expensive than the 75/8 Super Angulon, which covers 181 mm @ f/22. Funny thing is that R'stock made two batches "for stock" several years after they introduced the 75/6.8 Grandagon, which sold for less and seems to have had more coverage.

The few reports -- no formal tests -- I've found on the 80/5.6 Grandy are all favorable. Coverage reports are, well, variable. IIRC, in the post you found Bob said it covers 165 mm.

The VM contradicted itself, as it often does. It first says that both f/5.6 Grandagons (there's also a 58/5.6, Linhof sold them badged Technikon, Graflex sold them for the XL) cover 90 degrees @ f/5.6 and 100 degrees "stopped down even slightly." If true, that works out to 116 mm and 138 mm for the 58, 160 mm and 191 mm for the 80. But and however, a couple of lines down the VM says that the 80 covers 160 mm @ f/5.6 and 160 mm @ f/22. These work out to 90 and 93 degrees respectively. Bob's 165 mm splits the difference.

I have a 58, it is quite a good lens so am looking forward to getting the 80. I'm also doubting my sanity. I want it for 6x12, already have a perfectly fine 80/6.3 Wide Field Ektar thatcovers the format. Not to mention a 75/14 Ser. VIa Perigraphe and 85/6.8 Beryl that both cover. Buying the 80/5.6 was and is hard to justify. Want, not need.

BMbikerider

Shooter
35mm
Probably my Minolta XM which has had a full service and working very well or even my Minolta Autocord, an early one with the later 3.5 Rokkor and a Seikosha 1sec to 1/500 shutter which is in absolutely mint condition.

jimgalli

Subscriber
Shooter
ULarge Format
Why, I have drawers full of RARE lenses! Either that or the ebay sellers were lying? Probably my 12" Struss.

seall

Shooter
Multi Format
Fascinating. Before your note, I did not know that this lens existed. According to Bob Salomon on photo.net:

does not include it."

There is one on ebay right now, item number 253580696137 $1,393.26

Or, am I mistaken? It's shutter is a Copal 1.

Last edited:

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
Why, I have drawers full of RARE lenses! Either that or the ebay sellers were lying? Probably my 12" Struss.
You're an ebay seller. You know that all lenses are rare, at worst medium rare. When's the last time you were offered a lens, well-done?

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
There is one on ebay right now, item number 162692937330 for $1,393.26

Or, am I mistaken? It's shutter is a Copal 1.
Ebay doesn't recognize the number you posted, please correct. This 253580696137 one's listing says it is in a Copal #1 and the one image agrees. This 323849085584 one, however, is in a Synchro-Compur #0.

seall

Shooter
Multi Format
Ebay doesn't recognize the number you posted, please correct. This 253580696137 one's listing says it is in a Copal #1 and the one image agrees. This 323849085584 one, however, is in a Synchro-Compur #0.
Corrected now.

The German txt for 323849085584 says:
Due to a patent lawsuit with Zeiss, only 20 of these lenses were built and 5 prototypes.
There are no more lenses worldwide !!!
Due to its image performance only very rarely offered on eBay.

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
Corrected now.

The German txt for 323849085584 says:
Due to a patent lawsuit with Zeiss, only 20 of these lenses were built and 5 prototypes.
There are no more lenses worldwide !!!
Due to its image performance only very rarely offered on eBay.
Thanks.

That listing's claim that only 25 were made is what prompted me to ask Arne what Thiele reported. As Jim didn't say but should have, ebay sellers often, um, pull the long bow.

Few are offered because there aren't many.

Kodachromeguy

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks.

That listing's claim that only 25 were made is what prompted me to ask Arne what Thiele reported. As Jim didn't say but should have, ebay sellers often, um, pull the long bow.

Few are offered because there aren't many.
On eBay usa, two of the 80mm Grandagons are shown. One from Japan, one from Hong Kong. They certainly are not 2600 Euros.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
Not a camera or lens but a Hans Sperling Bellows Attachment a screw mount Leica ..
It says "Made in West Berlin USA Sector Germany". ...

lobitar

Shooter
Multi Format

Thank you v.m. - 4s! And sorry for late reply. (in the meantime I've given the camera to a friendly collector - I'm more like a user). But thanks again!

lobitar

Shooter
Multi Format

does not include it."

According to a seller on german eBay last year (sorry haven't kept the link) there were only 20 pcs. sold, beside 5 prototypes; reportedly on account of patent dispute with Zeiss, as it's supposed to be more or less a copy of the Biogon?

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
According to a seller on german eBay last year (sorry haven't kept the link) there were only 20 pcs. sold, beside 5 prototypes; reportedly on account of patent dispute with Zeiss, as it's supposed to be more or less a copy of the Biogon?
Please see post #242 above. I should have been more explicit. Thiele, according to Arne Croell, says that Rodenstock made 351 80/5.6 Grandagons.

Many eBay sellers are ignorant, some are dishonest. Claims of rarity in eBay listings are generally, um, mistaken.

Not a Biogon copy. I've owned 20 38/4.5 Biogons, have held 45/4.5, 53/4.5 and 75/4.5 Biogons in my hands. Used to own a Pacific Optical improved 3"/4.5er. All have visibly convex outer elements, as in they can't be set down facing upwards. Doing so risks damaging the rear element and in that position they're very, um. tippy. F/5.6 Grandagons' -- yes, I have a 58/5.6 too -- outer surfaces are very nearly flat. They contain four cemented doublets, are in the same family as f/5.6 Super Angulons and f/4.5 Grandagons.

Kyle M.

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
How rare is a G. Leitmeyr Sytar 210mm F=4.5 barrel lens? That's my main 4x5 lens mounted on my Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic. Beyond that I don't have anything you don't see all the time. The rarest thing I ever owned was probably the Canon FD 35-70 autofocus lens that took two AA batteries to power it. It didn't AF very well and was pretty soft but it was interesting, even if it wasn't particularly valuable.

lobitar

Shooter
Multi Format
Please see post #242 above. I should have been more explicit. Thiele, according to Arne Croell, says that Rodenstock made 351 80/5.6 Grandagons.

Many eBay sellers are ignorant, some are dishonest. Claims of rarity in eBay listings are generally, um, mistaken.

Not a Biogon copy. I've owned 20 38/4.5 Biogons, have held 45/4.5, 53/4.5 and 75/4.5 Biogons in my hands. Used to own a Pacific Optical improved 3"/4.5er. All have visibly convex outer elements, as in they can't be set down facing upwards. Doing so risks damaging the rear element and in that position they're very, um. tippy. F/5.6 Grandagons' -- yes, I have a 58/5.6 too -- outer surfaces are very nearly flat. They contain four cemented doublets, are in the same family as f/5.6 Super Angulons and f/4.5 Grandagons.
No, you were quite clear! Reason I posted my info was I thought they maybe had managed to sell only 20 pcs. before being stopped by Zeiss? I own a couple of 58/5,6 Grandagons and agree its decent, I seem to remember it covers 9x12cm but not 4x5". I've never handled the 75mm/4,5 Biogon. Hope you might care to post about your results with the 80/5,6 Grandagon?

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
No, you were quite clear! Reason I posted my info was I thought they maybe had managed to sell only 20 pcs. before being stopped by Zeiss? I own a couple of 58/5,6 Grandagons and agree its decent, I seem to remember it covers 9x12cm but not 4x5". I've never handled the 75mm/4,5 Biogon. Hope you might care to post about your results with the 80/5,6 Grandagon?

I don't think there was a lawsuit. In any case, the first batch of 80/5.6 Grandagons was made in 1965, the last in 1973. Mine is one of thirty made in the last batch.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom