Traveling negative anyone?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by darkosaric, Dec 16, 2015.

1. NedL

NedL Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Bert, what size are those prints? I like all of them but I think somehow the albumen fits really well :smile:

2. OP
    OP
    darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow Bert :smile:! Great work, one better than another :smile:!

3. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi Ned,
    The image itself is about 12 x 18 cm (4.8 x 7,2 inch. The printing paper is 18 x 24 cm (7.2 x 9.6 inch).

I have printed other negatives as well, so I didn't have the time to redo the Paris bridge as an Albumen print. In total I made 15 prints from 7 negatives on 6 different types of paper this weekend. All roughly about the same size. Two fine days of making papers suitable and printing these negatives. It was fun!! I even made a double exposure with a sandwich of this negative and a negative of the cityskape of Deventer on rather thin Japanese rice paper (Masa). I'll scan and post that one later - as an other "free" interpretation of this negative. :wink:

4. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thanks Darko,
    Which one do you like best (if ignoring the smudge marks in the last print)?

5. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    And here is the salt print from the sandwich with two negatives (a bit under exposed):
    albumendruk-Parijs-MasaPaper-001-WEB.jpg

It's very thin Masa paper, thus the wrinkling after drying. I'll soak it and dry it again taped to glass to straighten it. I got a decent print with this paper. The others got all kind of problems: they all got blisters all over the prints. Probably due to bad and uneven coating with the silvernitrate. They also did it on a newspaper and I'm guessing the newspaper also sucked the silvernitrate straight through the Masa paper. I placed mine on glass and then coated with heavily a brush.

I used the traveling negative and a negative from the cityscape of Deventer, overlooking the river IJssel. I positioned it thus that it looks like there is a village upon the bridge. I gave it an exposure of 2.5 minutes in the full sun but it could have used up to 4 minutes. Anyway, my free interpretation of the Travelling Negative (while testing the Masa paper).

This is a normal albumen print made from the other negative (to compare):
    albumendruk-Deventer-VanBeekPaper-001-WEB.jpg

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hard to say, but if I must choose :smile:, then salt print on Van Beek paper I like best, it has nice contrast, and in the same time details are clear, all in all very pleasing effect with nice color.

7. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm just about finished with my turn printing the negative.
    I've received it from howardpan, since he didn't get any response from walbergb. I've checked with Howard; he still hasn't heard from walbergb, so I guess he is off the list for now (or at least has lost his position).
    I'll try to get in touch with Brian L, to see if he's still ready to be part of this.

13) howardpan
    14) walbergb
    15) kraker
    16) Brian L
    17) StephenT

8. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I realise I've not kept you all updated. In my defense, I've a lot on my mind; my father-in-law passed away last month. But somewhere in this sad and hectic period I got in touch with StephenT (didn't get a reply from Brian L, so I suppose he's off the list for now, or at least moved to the bottom), and about a week ago I sent the negative to him. Only now do I realise I do not have any tracking number to share, so it is all in the hands of the various mail companies. In Dutch Post and US Post We Trust! Let's hope the negative makes it to Stephen.
    As for my prints, I'm sure they are somewhere around the house, I will scan and post them when things have calmed down a bit.

9. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm... that was about 5-6 weeks ago, and I have not yet heard from Stephen that he has received the negative. I'm starting to worry that it is lost in transit... if so, it happened "on my shift". Feeling unhappy about that...

10. OP
    OP
    darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No worries kraker, whatever happens - already it is more than success thread :smile:.
    Still waiting for your scan upload :wink:.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  11. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Darko. And yes, I still have to scan and share my interpretation... I'm first going to get the postcards for the postcard exchange written and addressed, then I will get on it!

12. OP
    OP
    darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BUMP!
    Something new here :smile: ?

13. OP
    OP
    darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Negative still lost as far as I know. Scanning and posting my interpretation(s) is still on my TODO list, but the list is just too big at the moment... Someday, it will happen.

16. Siompa

Siompa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If the negative turns up I would be happy to take the last place if it’s still available?

17. OP
    OP
    darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Siompa,

Let wait and see if the negative is lost or not. If we find it - sure, why not :smile:.

18. bence8810

bence8810 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't someone at one point make a copy of the negative?

Ben

19. BHuij

BHuij Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shame if it got lost. If so... does the OP have any similar negs? We could pick up where we left off; I'd still love to print it.

20. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many months after printing, I'm here to share my interpretation, long overdue, but better late than never.

All prints on Ilford Multigrade fiber base warm tone glossy, developed in Harman Warmtone developer. Almost-straight scans from prints with only a few (and certainly not all) specks of dust retouched and a bit of sharpening (local contrast).

After a test strip, I started off with a straight print:
    2017-TravNeg-01.jpg

I thought the lower left could use just a bit of dodging, and was curious to see the effect of burning the sky/clouds. Second print, lower left -1/6 stop, sky +1/2 stop:
    2017-TravNeg-02.jpg

I liked the look of the darker sky, so for the third and last print, I went a bit further with burning (lower left -1/6 stop, sky + 5/6 stop):
    2017-TravNeg-03.jpg

So there you have it; depending on the mood I'd want to convey I'd choose the second or the third print. Or, if it weren't a travelling negative, I might by now revisit it and print it differently.

21. LarsAC

LarsAC Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like the third one. Good to see, things are moving.

Lars

22. dburian

dburian Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kraker, Nice work. The burn really brings up the exceptional cloud detail.
    So many neat interpretations, thanks to Darko for starting this thread.
    DB

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.