Members
Latest member
Coolhead62
Recent bookmarks

StoneNYC

Format
8x10 Format
Stone,

The Premo is an interesting beast, a self-casing camera that was the largest brother of a host of smaller versions–of which a 4 x 5 was my first large-format camera. Don't put too much stock in the 1902 date, it's a patent date on many of the Rochester devices, but it could be right. They were quite popular and there are many of them around. Rochester Optical Co. went through a number of permutations, detailed here. The designs were continued by Eastman after he bought the company and produced for many years.

PHSNE has a large number of these types of cameras that are ready to be sold, if anyone is interested. The last donation of cameras included boxes of self-casing cameras.

You won't need a bulb and hose, there is a trip lever on the shutter...have you cocked and fired it? The 1-5 for shutter speeds is a little confusing. I'm used to seeing numbered aperture holes, but not shutter speeds. It won't be accurate to any standard you know anyway, so guesswork is going to play a part in this adventure. I am bringing at least one bulb and hose anyway. Those air-regulated shutters are amazingly strong and long-working, but accuracy is not a selling point.

The holders are made for glass plates, and the spring at the bottom holds those up under a lip at the top. I have some sheaths that will allow them to be used for film that I can bring. Lacking sheaths, you can put in a piece of glass, or plexiglass, and then stick the film to it–Oli used to use jam to do this, others prefer post-it-note adhesive. Duveyteen may be sufficient to block out the light while shooting, it has been used before by many of us who shoot with these old things.

The weather forecast for Waterford on Saturday is for mostly sunny and in the mid 70's–pretty much ideal for the gathering. Of course, weather forecasters are never wrong, :wink: so we are all set. Party is on, see you at breakfast...or whenever.

Thanks! Well as far as holders I think a few members said they would be bringing 5x7 holders so I think I can just use those instead of these plate style holders.

Yes I noticed the trip shutter and I cocked and fired the shutter, I tested it at all "speeds" and seems to function but couldn't find any kind of way to keep the shutter open, no bulb feature, so I'm not sure how to focus it with the GG. I thought maybe the air bulb would somehow keep it open?

Thanks.

PHSNE? What's that?

I wouldn't mind one of these or similar for just keeping in the car for random shooting, I think it would be fun.

This one I can't keep of course so what kind of prices and conditions? Again not sure what PHSNE is.

Thanks!

Drew B.

Subscriber
Format
4x5 Format
Early photo

First photo of gathering

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited by a moderator:

removed account4

Subscriber
Format
Hybrid
Everything looks good in the groundglass.

:laugh:

now THAT was a fun afternoon
im glad i escaped the slumber party
and was able to join the NEAPUG clan
thanks whitey and lena for your hospitality
it was great to see everyone!

- john

StoneNYC

Format
8x10 Format
Yes thanks Whitey & Lena! It was awesome!!! Yes next time maybe we'll end up going out, it it was a lot of fun just geeking out with everyone :smile: even John :wink:

StoneNYC

Format
8x10 Format
What's the name of that 5x7 film whitey let me use? "Berger?" I think it was 1:50 12 minutes in Rodinal?

Is it rebranded FOMA or something else?

I should have asked whitey if I could borrow a few holders, I have this whole day to fiddle with it and no film/holders... Lol! Such is life!

removed account4

Subscriber
Format
Hybrid
stone

its forte film, kind of sort of .. this thread that tim atherton started might help you learn a little about what it is/was/might be ..
http://www.largeformatphotography.i...hp?11217-Forte-Efke-J-C-Freestyle-100-200-400

i can't help on development times
you might look at the massive development chart to get a starting point
or https://www.flickr.com/groups/diybw/discuss/72157594379339169/
but if you goggle about, use bregger as your search term, not forte or j+c or anything else
because it was the same but different kind of sort of

don't forget to add a little bit of je ne sais quois seeing it is expired with "questionable provenance"

StoneNYC

Format
8x10 Format
Oh forte, got it, yes Bregger wasn't in the massive dev chart, but forte was and I THINK it was 200 speed, but now I can't remember, I do remember glancing at whiteys box and he had times for Rodianl but he "spoke" the times at me, and I'm NOT an audial memorizer, in one ear and out the other (hence names being hard to remember etc) so my mental "snapshot" of the box was 12 but I didn't see it that well, as I started reading the 1:25 times (at I think 6.5m but he moved the box as I was getting to the 1:50 times but then told me, but that went right out my ear, man funny how I can remember all that detail of that 3 second interaction, but nothing of what someone speaks to me. Lol... The mind is a strange place (especially my own).

Bunch of developing tonight most likely :smile:

OP
OP
Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange

Format
Multi Format
Thanks, everybody. As usual, we got more eating and bull***ting done than photography, but it was fun.
Great to meet you, Stone. I would have lent you some holders if I'd known... The Forte/Berger is asa 200 and the numbers you remember are what I have written on the box. I don't remember where I got them, but they worked like a charm last time I developed some. I shot two sheets, 2 f-stops apart, and developed them in a rotary tube at 6.5 min. in Rodinal 1/25 and they both came out very nicely, each with it's own personality, but each a very printable negative. I haven't printed them, but since I have to contact print 5 x 7, I don't worry much about grain. I was given that film at a Photographica show by a camera dealer who said, "I don't remember where I got it, I can't say how it was stored or how old it is...here, take it." Gotta love guys like that.

Next year.

StoneNYC

Format
8x10 Format
Thanks, everybody. As usual, we got more eating and bull***ting done than photography, but it was fun.
Great to meet you, Stone. I would have lent you some holders if I'd known... The Forte/Berger is asa 200 and the numbers you remember are what I have written on the box. I don't remember where I got them, but they worked like a charm last time I developed some. I shot two sheets, 2 f-stops apart, and developed them in a rotary tube at 6.5 min. in Rodinal 1/25 and they both came out very nicely, each with it's own personality, but each a very printable negative. I haven't printed them, but since I have to contact print 5 x 7, I don't worry much about grain. I was given that film at a Photographica show by a camera dealer who said, "I don't remember where I got it, I can't say how it was stored or how old it is...here, take it." Gotta love guys like that.

Next year.

Hah! Yea the photography I did that day I wouldn't call "accurate" either hah!

Oh good so my memory isn't completely gone then :smile:

I seriously doubt either exposure will even come out with that lens and with my "focussing" and such, but heck maybe it will have lots of light leaks and I can call it artistic :smile:

Hey it was free film to use so I wouldn't care where it came from, and I wouldn't expect the "finest" film for that camera anyway, I was just happy I got to use it.

And I got to shoot my 2 sheets of 11x14 in the pinhole box camera so I'm happy. The only images that might come out "good" are of you guys in my yashica44LM on hand rolled HP5+ 127 spools.

papagene

Membership Council
Council
Format
Multi Format
I agree with all above... yes, THANK YOU Whitey and Lena for being such gracious hosts. Eileen and I had a wonderful time with old friends and one new one!
And here's Drew bestowing his blessing on the event:

Attachments

• Drews Blessings.1.jpg
    Drews Blessings.1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 143

removed account4

Subscriber
Format
Hybrid
I could have sworn john mentioned something about wanting a 10x12 camera?

maybe you misunderstood
I DON'T NEED ANOTHER CAMERA for that ... ?

maybe you meant carl ... i have never been in a conversation
where the 10x12 format was even mentioned...

===

armory show ?
too cool ...

StoneNYC

Format
8x10 Format
Someone mentioned 10x12 at the party, it may have been in jest?

It was when I was sitting at the picnic table, that's all I remember.

Oh well.

removed account4

Subscriber
Format
Hybrid
Someone mentioned 10x12 at the party, it may have been in jest?

It was when I was sitting at the picnic table, that's all I remember.

Oh well.

the food at whitey's has a way of clouding one's mind and better judgement
( when it comes to the give-away-table ) heck before i ate anything
and i left with more than i came with !

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom