Supporting Dedicated Brands

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Ces1um, Jan 6, 2018.

1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My comments aren't in relation to the film vs digital issue.
    My comments are in relation to the comparative markets - if our retail availability and prices approached what exists just across the border, even with an adjustment for the currencies, the industry here would be far healthier.
    In many ways being able to observe US pricing and availability probably makes it worse.

2. OP
    OP
    Ces1um

Ces1um Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does the price stop any Canadians here at photrio from buying film? My point is the people who are left that actually want to shoot film will buy film pretty much at any price. There are Canadian sites selling superia natura 1600 for almost $20 a roll and it's flying off shelves. Probably would still sell at $30. People who want the stuff are few and far between these days. Those people will pay what they have to to get what they want. I've never seen a post on photrio saying, "that's it, I'm done with film. It's too expensive". I read posts about people "snatching up" film that costs $20 a roll!

I also think most Canadians have just rolled over and given up about price discrepancies. Our cell phone plans cost way more than the rest of the world. Books cost more in Canada than they do in the states, even when our currency was stronger than the US's! Cars are more expensive here. We pay foreign currency surcharges where people in the US don't have to. Free nationwide shipping? Not off of any Canadian website. $99 to fly around in the states- pretty sure there are no Canadian flights that cost that. Probably the taxes on the peanuts on those flights cost more than that and we don't even get those anymore. We get hosed on everything. I don't think anyone even blinks an eye that film is cheaper in the states. It's just expected.

3. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've not seen $20-$30 per roll film for sale, much less flying of the shelves, but maybe I just hang out with the wrong crowd.

4. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

5. OP
    OP
    Ces1um

Ces1um Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    supporting documentation- and I never said film was currently $30- I said people would probably pay it if they wanted it.

https://buyfilm.ca/product/fujifilm-natura-1600-color-negative-film-35-mm-36-exposures/

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-list...0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1515453146&sr=8-1

I can provide film prices for things like fuji velvia/provia that are $20 a roll as well.
    If I hadn't pulled the price tags off of my fuji super 1600 that I bought in bulk I could show you that atlantic photo supply in Nova Scotia was charging 16.90 for them. (I pulled the price tags off because I bought 20 rolls and didn't want to catch flak from the wife).

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I actually have a few places around here that you can walk in the door and see (a few) rolls of film on the shelf. In most cases, they are gathering dust, because they are priced so high.
    I've talked to a few people in the industry who are at the retail level. Even though it would make financial sense to incur the extra costs, they are barred from purchasing wholesale from US sources, while the Canadian sources have such high prices and minimum order terms that they cannot justify bringing in inventory. None of those sources are the manufacturers - they are distribution channels that distribute other, often non-photographic materials as well.
    One of those stores actually gets some of their "amateur" films from a supplier for grocery stores.
    It isn't the people here at Photrio who are most impacted - many of us have figured out workarounds. It also isn't the people who really want to shoot film who are impacted - they aren't nearly as price sensitive.
    It is the people who may be interested in starting or continuing to shoot film - the people who might actually supply some growth and stability to the industry.
    There is no comparison between something like the auto industry and this. Even if we pay more for autos here in Canada, there is choice, and competition, and selection, and a distribution system that functions.
    I have the advantage of living close to the border. I can access all sorts of US sources at low cost and minimal inconvenience. My wife and I shop in the USA reasonably regularly. There are quite a few things that are worth buying there, but there are also many things that work out to be cheaper in Canada. Most likely, much of that relates to the quality of the distribution systems for those items.

7. Pentode

Pentode Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Prices notwithstanding, I think any company that is still putting film on the market is showing dedication to film.

I certainly appreciate Ilford’s long history of quality and I like and use some of their products, but I’m not sure that their success suggests any greater dedication to film than, say, Foma or Adox or even smaller players like Orwo. The success of these companies can hinge on many factors beyond a dedication to film. Let’s face it; You’ve got to be pretty dedicated to film to be in the game at all at this point!

With that said, I always keep a stock of Tri-X and a stock of FP4+ On hand but it’s not because I feel Kodak and Ilford are more dedicated, it’s only because of my familiarity with the products their consistent availability and the proven results I’ve gotten. I shoot Foma and Adox just as happily and I’m eagerly looking forward to trying a 100’ roll of Orwo I have stashed. I’m more than happy to support any company that’s going through the effort of making film available.

8. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do this with some emulsions. When peel apart shot up from $8 to infinity I said 'That's it, I'm done with instant film' I'm on the brink with slide because of the full cost of the film and development. Someday I'm sure I'll say the same about color.

9. OP
    OP
    Ces1um

Ces1um Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, after much deliberation and looking at the amount of time I spend on this forum lately, I decided to stick with Ilford over cheaper brands. Mostly because they help fund this forum. A forum I spend far more time on than I ought to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.