Some RA-4 Reversal success today...

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by bvy, Dec 29, 2017.

1. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is Provia 100F, 35mm, wet printed in the darkroom using the RA-4 reversal process. It's been a few years since I experimented with this process. I remember having issues with whites that stopped at gray. This print has a full range of tones, and I don't know what I did differently.

Process: Ilford PQ 1+9 (1 min at 68F), stop, rinse. Expose 1-2 minutes. RA-4 at 94F.

I still have some issues to work out, but they're mostly related to this particular print more than the process itself (the blown out highlights for instance).

Thought I'd share. It's not Cibachrome, but it's not inkjet either.

2017-12-29 14.56.24.jpg

2. halfaman

halfaman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very impressive. Can you develop a little bit more the process?

Type of paper use, light and distance for fogging, RA-4 was with standard times?

3. OP
    OP
    bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji Crystal Archive paper. Forgot that detail. Everything was processed in a drum on a motor base. The exposure or fogging was one to two minutes under room light -- a couple of daylight balanced fluorescent bulbs. I just held the print upward with my left hand while I rinsed the drum with my right hand. Standard RA-4 times and temps after that: one minute at 94F, stop, rinse, blix, rinse.

4. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Very nice. Color looks good. You are covering a big range of values in that shot. Be interested in seeing something with less range. That's as good as I've seen on RA4 paper. If it has it's own "look" so much the better.
    I need to get back to work. I've got everything but the PQ developer.
    Keep us posted.
    Best Mike

5. afriman

afriman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is really impressive. The skin tones in particular are very nice - way better than any other examples I've seen. The contrast looks very similar to what I used to get with Cibachrome, when just doing a straight print without any dodging or masking. Highlights were similarly blown out. The top left corner seems to show some mottling, or is that just an effect of the lighting?

How would you compare this to a print from an internegative, either done in the darkroom or with a slide copier attached to a camera?

6. Berri

Berri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that is a great success!

7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations.

PE

8. twelvetone12

twelvetone12 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's beautiful bvy! Congrats! I had good results with d19 + ra4, but will try your method soon.

9. OP
    OP
    bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't worked with internegatives so I can't say. Also I think what you're seeing is the light catching the surface of the paper in that corner. This is the lustre finish and it has some texture -- very similar to Ilford's pearl finish. I haven't looked very hard for mottling though I won't swear there isn't any.