Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenshi Daito
Recent bookmarks

mtnbkr

Shooter
Multi Format
I've been enjoying the heck out of my A110, but would like to use it indoors sometimes as well. I found a flash cube adapter on ebay, but before I pull the trigger I had a few questions for those that may have used one...

1. Do these tend to be reliable or am I risking buying a dud?
2. Will any "flash cube" work? I haven't used flash cubes since I was a little kid and I don't recall if there were different ones or if a cube was a cube.
3. Are unused "vintage" or "new old stock" flash cubes reliable?

Chris

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
There are 2 kinds of flash cubes:

-) the standard cube (ignited electrically)

-) the later introduced alternative cube "Magicube" (ignited mechanically)

-) there are adapters to adapt an electrical cube to a camera that got PC-connectur or hot shoe.
I do not see any special issue other than batteries having leaked.

-) The Rollei A110 needs a dedicated adapter, and takes the electrical cubes.

-) At least flash bulbs that still got a blue dot are reliable and safe. Do not use a bulb that got a pink dot.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
The interesting thing with the model 110 adapter for flashcubes is that it got a shield at the photographers side.

So far I a have not seen such at any flashcube appliance.
But with Rollei A/E 110 cameras the flash is at eyelevel, unlike most larger cameras. Maybe at Rollei there was fear that, by whatever circumstance, the rear bulb could fire (too).

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
There are 2 kinds of flash cubes:

-) the standard cube (ignited electrically)

-) the later introduced alternative cube "Magicube" (ignited mechanically)

-) there are adapters to adapt an electrical cube to a camera that got PC-connectur or hot shoe.
I do not see any special issue other than batteries having leaked.

-) The Rollei A110 needs a dedicated adapter, and takes the electrical cubes.

-) At least flash bulbs that still got a blue dot are reliable and safe. Do not use a bulb that got a pink dot.

Sylvania Blue Dot Magicubes will work? Have a few of them but the box says they're fired mechanically.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
You mix up two basically independent things, as here they are seemingly within one name:

-) "Blue Dot"
a Sylvania invention, a safety indicator, at turning pink showing that the bulb is leaking
Later this feature was taken over by most competitors. This feature can be applied at any flash bulb and does not say anything about the kind of bulb.

-) "Magicube"
Another Sylvania invention, as described above a alternative flashcube.
In spite of very similar outer a Magicube can only be used on a camera with mechanical firing mechanism.
By this, omitting an electrical circuit, the camera could become a bit more smaller and also evade the fail risk due to be (flashwise) dependant on a battery.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
The box I have from the 1976 Olympics says Sylvania Blue Dot Magicubes on it.

I'll take it though as it says they're mechanical they won't work with the A110.

xya

Shooter
Multi Format
The interesting thing with the model 110 adapter for flashcubes is that it got a shield at the photographers side.

So far I a have not seen such at any flashcube appliance.
But with Rollei A/E 110 cameras the flash is at eyelevel, unlike most larger cameras. Maybe at Rollei there was fear that, by whatever circumstance, the rear bulb could fire (too).
The shield is just the lid to protect the contacts of the flash unit when there is no cube. It has to go somewhere when the unit is opened, to the rear seems logical.

Flashcubes usually contain ordinary AG-1 bulbs which have 2 contacts. So there is only one bulb connected. Rotating the flashcube brings the next 2 contacts in place. So it's impossible that the rear buld could flash.

As said, Magicubes won't work.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
But no camera or cube flash with such protecting cap I remember.

A rear bulb could be ignited if the reflector, which just is a piece of vacuumfornmed foil (as in sweets boxed) is faulty or missing.

I once bough a great lot of flashcubes NOS, that all got their caps and thus their reflectors not fixed. No idea whether at Rollei they thought of such.

But there are not that many cameras of the Rollei design flashwise. Minox 8x11 come to mind.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
I use flash cubes with the adapter w my Rollei A110. The adapter is very simple so I'm sure it will work. I bought these flash cubes from this seller and they work great:

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I almost got the flashcube adapter for my Minox, because I liked the way the light meter is fast enough to close the shutter when enough exposure is obtained from the bulb. But at $2.00 per exposure, that brings Minox up to the sheet film prices per exposure 😝

Ok take that back, I thought they were selling a single cube for $8. Looks like you can get 3 cubes for that price. So maybe something to investigate further.

full.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

mtnbkr

Shooter
Multi Format
I use flash cubes with the adapter w my Rollei A110. The adapter is very simple so I'm sure it will work. I bought these flash cubes from this seller and they work great:

Thanks! Looking forward to annoying folks indoors with incessant flash photography. :D
Took this w the Rollei and those cubes. Faces redacted to protect the innocent
Glad you pointed out the redaction, I thought that was a helluva flash to completely wash out their faces like that. :D

But seriously, thanks for the input and example. My adapter is on the way, I just need to buy flash cubes. It's 1975 all over again.

Chris

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
There is a really fun novelty act aspect to using flash cubes. People cannot believe they exist, and they actually work! I was actually surprised as to how well they work - the pics I took with them look like I used a regular electronic flash. Be prepared to be blinded though! A lot of that light bleeds back to you when you take the pic...
Oh, and the cube will be hot for a few seconds after you take a pic.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom