RODINAL! You lucky Americans..

Discussion in '[Partner] ADOX' started by ADOX Fotoimpex, Feb 13, 2014.

1. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    So I can substitute it as a "first developer"??

2. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Gonna have to google those... So intrigued.

Edit... 1849!!! Wow! That lead me to read about rodinals time frame... 1891... Wow.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
  3. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, actually. I've done it.

4. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Any issues with that? Sharpness or grain or adjustment to times and dilutions? I've been thinking if making my own E-6 from scratch, if I can skip making the first dev, that would be great but only if it doesn't have serious issues :smile:

5. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was cross processing, so I can't really answer that. It did punch up the grain.

6. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1:80 for enlargements. I never knew rodinal was a paper developer too and at such high dilution too.

7. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Everyone knows that if you put it in glass bottles and put a very old looking label on it then it will not only work better overall but suddenly acquire enhanced edge effects in rotary processing!

:wink:

8. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good one. Just my opinion but if you are decanting Rodinal into glass to make it last longer you aren't developing enough film and if you need an old-timey label you may be paying attention to the wrong things, but hey, everyone can enjoy their hobby their own way.

9. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On the other hand, if I'm already going to be using Rodinal for all of my large format negatives anyway (and I am), then if given a choice of containers to purchase, I'd pick the old-timey square-ish brown glass bottle with faux antique label every time.

:wink:

Ken

10. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I probably would too (though I never got along with Rodinal but will try it again) because they are cool, but not cool enough fit me to waste my time trying to duplicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never been keen on the commemorative tin but I'm somewhat surprised that Kodak and Ilford haven't done up some film in throwback packaging.

12. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see another thread starting with photos of old films and developers.

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    When Lomography buys kodak-Alaris from bankruptcy in a few years from bad new management they will... Hah!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Haha! I always move it to a new bottle because the child proof lid lock fails to function after a while, that's the main reason, I do this with ilford chems too.

The nifty antique bottle is just cause it makes the process more fun. Makes me feel like I'm "back in the day" after all part of why we do this is the joy of the process. :smile:

16. Curt

Curt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not to mention that warm fuzzy feeling one gets!

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would of course leave all the former Kodak Limited employees without any assets to fund their pensions.

When you say "Hah", I assume you find that funny Stone.

The Kodak UK pension plan bought that business as a going concern, along with all of Eastman Kodak's colour paper business.

Do you want that to disappear as well?

18. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree they're kind of cool. Hey, my wife and I spent much of the weekend at Anachrocon and I used to be in the SCA. I'm down with old stuff. :smile:

I put Ilford chems in other bottles. I don't know if it's the lid that leaks air once the seal is removed or the bottle, but you can squeeze the air out and seal the bottle cap for all you're worth and it will expand again and developer will die. I lost more than 1/2 bottle of Harman WT developer this way. My next bottle went in two separate brown darkroom bottles (yeah, glass is better, but I have these and I can squeeze the air out and, WTH, they work well enough.)

19. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Schott company does not only make the classic cylindrical, brown, glass lab bottles bottles, but the same in a cuboid version too

20. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The squared off ones make a lot of sense for stocking manufacturers, shippers, retailers etc. because they save on wasted space compared to round bottles. But for home I don't see as it matters.

21. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Laws in place prevent pensions from disappearing, that only happens if the company illegally raids the funds. Otherwise the pension monies are already safe and secure in an account, regardless of what happens to the company.

Of course I don't want it to happen, but the true reality of a situation and what we want, aren't always the same. I had high hopes for Alaris, but not sure now, we shall see...

22. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks!

23. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe US law is different, but certainly the security of UK pensions depends upon the investment abilities of the pension trustees. Pension monies are definitely not "safe and secure in an account". MattKing is correct, if pension money is held (entirely properly and legitimately) in Alaris shares, and Alaris fails, so do the pensions.

Please get you facts correct. (And, FTM, what makes you so dubious about Alaris's prospects ? )

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  25. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I actually saw an ad for very old unexposed lantern slides a few months ago. I almost bought it just for fun but wasn't sure the box was really unopened. So I passed.

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

26. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pensions both public and private can and do disappear or shrink, beyond any illegal activity. Unfunded or underfunded pension liability is a major crisis in the US. Kodak USA employees took a big hit. It's happening everywhere, cities and states too. Some may well call it a crime, but judges don't seem to agree. Look it up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.