RODINAL! You lucky Americans..

Discussion in '[Partner] ADOX' started by ADOX Fotoimpex, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $7 + shipping for a kit that makes 250mL of stock? Wow, that's no cheaper than a bottle of the real thing, if you can get it.

2. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It's more expensive as Rodjnal sells for $13 at 500ml, his would be $14 for 2 packs (500ml) and you have to mix it, and it's probably not Rodinal it's probably that Tylenol/aspirin whatever it is version... Lol

3. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I quote myself to note that I finally finally finished the bottle tonight ... and it was dead as a doornail, not even a whisper of an edge code on my Acros, less than a month after I last used it when it produced perfectly well developed negatives.

So, in my house at least, APH09 lasts a quite long time, but not indefinitely, and then dies suddenly

The eBay kit, I imagine, is being produced and sold by KennyE; he ought to be careful, calling it Rodinal and advertising it with a picture of a Rodinal bottle ...

4. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stone was not talking about under funded pensions being safe. That's a big difference.

Personally I think Kodak Alaris will fail as a film producer, but not as an entire entity. So the KPP retirees should be OK in the long run.

5. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Another Rodinal pop-up. Thread put on ignore list. No contempt towards Rodinal fanboys intended. Good luck with that. If that stuff be your preference and they still make it these days, I'm glad for you. I'll use my Microdol and if I want Rodinal effects, I'll just sprinkle salt and pepper on my negative before enlarging it.:whistling:

6. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    KA's merely markets EK's film cause it has been some time since eg their Harrow factory has coated film.

When EK stops film the KA can rebadge or start up manufacture but a start up similar to 'impossible' seems unlikely for practical Ie investment/future sales reasons.

7. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The title is Rodinal, if you don't like it you shouldn't have followed in the first place! Lol

8. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes but which salt? Standard table? Iodized? Some of that pink Tibetan sea salt they sell now were you grind out the little chips of salt for each use? My god this matters!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2014
  9. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ionized salt ??!:w00t:

10. oldtimermetoo

oldtimermetoo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Do you actually mean that Kodak no longer makes lantern slide plates? Where has the time gone? The ones that I once used were (if my memory still works) somewhere around 3 1/2" x 5" and coated with, what seemed like, a Kodabromide emulsion. They were exposed by contact printing or under the enlarger and we developed them in Dektol under the safelight just like any normal photo paper. The ones we used definitely WERE NOT FILM. I am sure that someone of you have had experience with other types. Koday also made and sold lantern-slide cover glass. I'll bet if Rodinal can be used as a paper developer, it would be great used with lantern slides......Regards

11. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look below under Gaslight Paper...

:wink:

[​IMG]

Ken

12. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I swear, if they could they'd include "good for drinking" and "Makes your coffee taste better"...

13. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "Rodinal Retro Edition", glass bottles with 1920's labels. :cool: That would be nice, but glass is heavy and difficult to ship by mail.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Kosher salt has fewer additives ...

16. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where is the comparison negative?

17. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because I wasn't trying to prove a deductive assertion, but rather trying to disprove an implied assertion, it wasn't necessary.

In other words, the assertion implied by the above two quotes was that it is not possible to produce a successful negative using the stand development protocol. It should never be recommended, and any discussion of it as a successful technique makes one barf.

I merely offered an example of a print created from a negative produced by that very method that, at least according to the subsequent comments of a few gallery viewers, seemed to meet the threshold of success. As I recall, the Blind Print Exchange recipient liked the print as well.

I was attempting to disprove a negative, not to prove a positive. When one claims never, all it takes is a single valid exception to disprove that claim. The comparison was against the never claim, not against a different physical negative.

:smile:

Ken

18. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ken, your logic is impeccable!

Nevertheless, a lot of people are having problems with stand development.

PE

19. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And I have wondered why I didn't. Or if the exact same result (or a better result) may have been realized using a different agitation scheme. Or if the horizontal orientation of the developing negative played a part in reducing the chances of bromide drag. Or if 1+200 dilution reduces the effect of drag. Or, or...

My setup was overkill. An 11x14 stainless steel tray clamped by the edges and held mostly submerged up to the lip in an oversized tempering water bath. The bath was trickle-fed from a Hass Intellifaucet. The faucet temperature set point and the ambient room temperature were identical at 68F/20C. The room itself has its own small vertical mixing fan which was in use. Everything was allowed to thermally stabilize beforehand.

The idea was to minimize temperature-driven eddy currents. I placed the 8x10 negative in a Kodak SS hanger, dunked it into the tray emulsion side up, hand agitated (submerged figure-eight swirling) for 60 seconds, centered the hanger in the tray, and sat down for 60 minutes to wait. I listened to the radio while I waited.

At 60 minutes I raised and drip-drained the hanger, then followed up with a short stop, fix, and wash aid in my normal 8x10 stainless tank line. The tank line is also water-jacketed and was also being fed by the Intellifauct. Nothing fancy, really.

However, after reading about other's difficulties, I'm not so sure I'd try stand processing with roll film oriented vertically in a spiral tank. Or even 4x5s held vertically in my Nikor 4x5 cage tank.

Ken

20. Randy Moe

Randy Moe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ken keep it up. You saved me from drinking the 10 bottles I just bought.

I stand by it.

But, I am working on gaseous burst.

Just a couple more bits to gather....

21. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't remember if I've posted this link before. If not, it might be helpful...

Gaseous-Burst Agitation in Processing
    Kodak Publication No. E-57-C, revised 12/1985

Ken

22. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think the point is lots of people have problems with any sort of development or fixing.

I normally from '65 or so use stand 1:100 in a Patterson 3x, 5x or 8x multi tank, cept when I'm on holiday and I use an Agfa daylight tank. So I get some convection...

So the objectors are religious/political dogma in nature, as in Millers allegoric play the crucible...

23. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    More arguments to use the bathroom as a darkroom AND install a jacuzzi specially designed for APUG. :wink:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  24. ColColt

ColColt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know the thread is a bit old by some standards but thought I'd interject my 2 cents. Rodinal and FP-4 work superb together be it 120 or 35mm film. I used it way back decades ago with FP-4 and Agfapan 400 and loved it. I was glad to see it available again and bought a bottle(500ml) from Freestyle recently and used it 1:75 with FP-4 as a test since I didn't know if either had changed since I first used it. I was pleasantly surprised it seemed neither had.

In 6x7 format with FP-4 it approaches 4x5 quality, IMHO. This shot made with Agfapan 400 and Rodinal in 120.

[​IMG]img018a by David Fincher, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2015