Members
Latest member
GRInfratech
Recent bookmarks

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
“bottom of the barrel Xenars”

I think I know what was intended, but I’d characterize Xenar as a “more economical design”. They are a great lens and need to be used with knowledge of their characteristics (not deficiencies). Denigrating that design and then complimenting it is akin to saying someone’s baby smells like a billy goat but has cute dimples. :smile:

I enjoyed and appreciate your lens assessments!

Last edited:

removedacct1

Shooter
Large Format
Will the knob advance usually be more trouble-free compared to the lever advance? My IIc has developed a slight sticking in the advance lever return after advancing the film. How do you know when to stop using the knob advance?

If your IIc has problems with the film advance, it desperately needs cleaning and removal/replacement of old lubricants! If you keep using it in this condition, you WILL destroy the cocking rack (its chromed brass) and then you won't be using it at all.

removedacct1

Shooter
Large Format
My all time favorite of the minimalist 35mm camera is the Retina I (type 010) with Ektar 50/3.5 lens.

The "true" Ektar f3.5 lens made by Kodak (Rochester) is the one shown in blee's post, with the CAMEROSITY serial number, which in the case of the Type 010 Retinas is always going to start with either EO (1946) or ES (1947). This is a Tessar (four element) design and exceptionally well executed. This was absolutely state of the art lens technology in 1946/47 and is still remarkably good for modern usage. This lens performs well from wide open to closed down. If you find yourself in a position to acquire one of the Type 010 Retinas with a USA made Ektar lens, don't hesitate to acquire it.

Example photo made with this type of Ektar lens.

Note: some of the Retina Ia's have this Ektar lens mounted also.

markjwyatt

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
...If you want to use your Retina in lower light, choose a model with the Xenon. If you will mostly use ƒ/5.6 or smaller, either will be fine.

Or a Rodenstock Heligon f2...

blee1996

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Will the knob advance usually be more trouble-free compared to the lever advance? My IIc has developed a slight sticking in the advance lever return after advancing the film. How do you know when to stop using the knob advance?

Knob advance will still auto stop at each frame, thus it is the same as lever advance in this sense. However it is a bit slower than lever advance, and you have to tension the shutter separately. Both will slow you down, so it is not really great for action shots. But I guess we are not using film and ancient mechanical camera for action shots. :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP

ggray79

Shooter
35mm Pan
From your comments, I think the top picture is the re-badged and the lower picture is the true Ektar (although on a Retina 1). Is this how to tell the difference? Thanks.

1674063526212.png

1674063574750.png

OP
OP

ggray79

Shooter
35mm Pan
If your IIc has problems with the film advance, it desperately needs cleaning and removal/replacement of old lubricants! If you keep using it in this condition, you WILL destroy the cocking rack (its chromed brass) and then you won't be using it at all.

Who does the CLA's on Retinas now? Or is it easy to get to the film advance components?

removedacct1

Shooter
Large Format

JPD

Shooter
Medium Format
Both of those are genuine Ektars, as evidenced by the EO or ES serial numbers. Only true Kodak Ektars use this serial code

And the "Made in U.S.A." engraving makes it even more obvious. 😉

JPD

Shooter
Medium Format
The Kodak factory in Stuttgart couldn't get enough Schneider lenses in the years after the war, so that's why some for export to the US got American made Ektar lenses, and some for the European market got Rodenstock lenses (Ysar and Heligon).

removedacct1

Shooter
Large Format
The Kodak factory in Stuttgart couldn't get enough Schneider lenses in the years after the war, so that's why some for export to the US got American made Ektar lenses, and some for the European market got Rodenstock lenses (Ysar and Heligon).

And those who got the American made Ektar lenses got one of the best lenses of its kind ever made!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom