Real photographers don't use Program...

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Steve Mack, Nov 2, 2010.

1. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I remember, back in the late 1800's, on the Left Bank, all us painters would gather and make fun of all the Pussies with their cameras.
    They were too lazy to learn how to paint, and probably had no talent or aptitude for "The Real Thing" anyway. :smile:

2. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But the LED display in the viewfinder shows what it's picking, so one can always override it. Generally when I'm toward the bottom of that table I'm using another mode anyway. And besides, with the 50mm f/1.4 and "more youthful self" 1/30 was a an acceptable speed! :angel:

My actual point (if I had one) was that for a lot of "ordinary" work, Program mode is quite adequate, and one less thing to think about when playing tourist. I've pretty much gone to medium format film work, but for whatever reason, I've put a half dozen rolls of 400 Tmax through the A-1 this year -- and no, I did not use 'P' for the eclipse photos!

3. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Dave, I understand your point, but a LED warning me that the artificial intelligence is failing exactly when I need it is not going to be of any help for me (and others). It doesn't simplify things, conversely it adds another "warning" to check and to consider. As already written, when light is abundant life is beautiful and both aperture and shutter priority would do everything fine without any need of a Program mode. It is when light is scarce that some artificial intelligence would help. But the A-1 Program mode doesn't do that: it chooses an unusable shutter/time couple and then warns you that your picture will be awful. Really, who needs that? I would be quicker by using aperture priority + my brain and take a (correct) decision myself, which was just what I did when I owned that camera.

4. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    But so far all cameras with program mode has it in a linear fashion. New cameras allow you to shift it to another combination for shutter speed/aperture but still not much has changed. And this is exactly while P is only for professional. If you don't know how it does it you may let it lead you astray

5. TheRook

TheRook Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    You must have been a fairly young child at the time.

6. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want real amusement about P mode, check the shutter speeds in the EXIFs from an iPhone. (1/1183 sec, 1/427 sec, 1/274 sec ... from recent use of my 6s.) That is all at f/2.2, presumably because there is no variable aperture. Arguably none of it matters, as the sqrt(2) stop sequences are not significant to a computer, but being used to 1/250, 1/500, ... it hits me as odd when I happen to see it.

7. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Pentax PZ1p allows me to adjust how the Program Mode works. I can set it for Normal (Linear), Action (shutter speed change is preferred), Depth of Field (aperture change is preferred) or MTF where the program defaults to the lens best MTF where that information is available in the lens. Likewise, when the Program Mode is faced with a combination that will not work it allows me to instantly change shutter or aperture without selecting another mode.

8. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds more complicated than just setting exposure manually.

9. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually it is very easy to do. Manual exposure is nice as well but there are times when I prefer using the Program Mode.

Of course I am probably not a real photographer. I feel real but that could be an illusion. :D

10. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always shot completely manual. Manual ambient, mixed with manual flash, as adjusted by flash setting, distance, setting of a zoom lens (f-stop decreases)... always always always spot-on.

11. Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Real Photographers use their cameras in manual completely guessing the exposure and getting one out of 15 right.

12. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm... I got 15 out of 15 right... both ambient, and flash, and mixed light.

13. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With good lighting, mid day, I find that program mode works very well, in tricky light, side light, backlight, rapidly changing light I change to manual or shutter speed priority. In either case I think program mode is to some extent dependent on good the meter is. I remember getting a lot of grief when while still in college I got a Konica T, who needs shutter speed auto?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. :smile:

+1

16. More of a sliding scale switching aperture and shutter speed alternately, at least on mine.

17. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If one knows his/her equipment like the back of his/her hand then manual is more accurate.

18. That may be so but when traveling with non photographers and shooting 35mm it is both convenient and accurate.

19. Wallendo

Wallendo Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can use manual program mode.

Use Tri-X, set aperture to f8, shutter to 1/125s, and focus at hyperfocal distance.

20. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    P is for ... Program??
    I thought it was P for Professional...
    Jokes aside, I do use Program mode with Shift on the EOS 1N occasionally. Why not? I paid more than $4000 for the camera in 1994, so is somebody going to tell me I should not use or explore any of the marvellous modes and tricks the camera can do? GO ahead, do whatever you want with whatever the camera has, it's your choice, not that of the populists.

21. Craig75

Craig75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thats clever. The times i had a camera with an auto function i had no idea if it preferred to lower shutter speed or open aperture. Being able to tell it which to do is nice function.

22. blockend

blockend Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Think the old Canon T70 had something of the sort, for wide and tele lenses. It's a while since I used it, so my memory may be shaky.

I used to be keen on aperture priority auto, but found myself overriding it often enough to prefer manual exposure. Also I tend to expose for the highlight, especially on D-cameras, and none seem to automate exposure in the way I want it. For point and shooting, Program mode is fine, but if the light levels are steady I take a reading and leave it until something changes,

23. There is no Program Mode on the Hasselblads nor the 4"'x5" cameras so those are always manual.

24. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some people seem to get off on making the absolute last decision about exposure, even to the point of not trusting an exposure meter. While others realise that for the majority of photos which don't require any careful consideration of the aperture or shutter speed, program just gets you the shot.

25. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some offer more programmable control than others. For example, the Canon AE-1P has a simple program that adjusts shutter speed and aperture together linearly until either the "correct" exposure is reached or some limit is hit. The Leica R8 (and other R's from about the R5 onward) have a shiftable program where you basically tell it to keep the aperture wide open up to a selected shutter speed, after which both close down linearly (this lets you bias towards either a preference for larger apertures or faster speeds).

Ah, but look at the 205FCC, where you have in addition to Manual, a Zone mode, Differential mode, Autobracket mode (an aperture priority mode), and a "Program" mode which really is a settings mode, not an exposure mode. True, none of these, except maybe Ab, are the type of "point and shoot" P mode offered on other cameras.

26. mdarnton

mdarnton Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Are my photos shot on P not real, but the ones on other setting Real? What if I forget which setting was used--who gets to decide if I was being a real photographer?
    If I keep it on P and my photos are good, or use M and the photos are bad, are the M photos better because they were shot Real?
    When we see photos from someone we don't know, how do we know if they are Real or not?
    Are digital photos set on M Real, or not, since everyone knows digital isn't Real photography anyway?
    Why should I give a d@#$ about this question????

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.