Praktica Appreciation Thread

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Sewin, Jun 9, 2015.

1. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not know of any Pentacon product marketed under the Vivitar label.
    Also Pentacon did not manufacture for others but labelled products out of their own range for other distributors.

But it was the other way round: Under the brand Vivitar japanese lenses with Practica B mount were marketed.

2. oreston

oreston Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    According to http://www.praktica-collector.de/119_Pentacon_Super.htm only 4,579 were ever made, so it would be a rare bird wherever it was sold!

3. Agulliver

Agulliver Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not sure anything is a cheap fix these days. The one and only time one of my two BX20S bodies went in for repair was about 2000 when the repair cost more than I'd paid for the body back in 1993. I think the repair was just under £100, while the last batch of brand new bodies was still offered on sale and I was quoted £250. You might be able to get a quote for free however. Have you tried the slower shutter speeds in manual mode? Does the metal curtain open at all?

I do seem to have good luck with my Prakticas.

4. Agulliver

Agulliver Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Didn't some Praktica B series cameras also appear under the Revue name? Was that a continental European mail order brand?

5. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, that's definitely the camera I was thinking of.....as you say, not really looking like an LX, just similar in concept of being a versatile system. I've never seen one, and don't know if they were sold here in the UK. Though I definitely had a very comprehensive brochure in English at the time ( with hindsight, regrettably, I passed on a whole heap of original GDR Exakta and Praktica brochures and leaflets to another enthusiast years ago.....and some lovely glossy Leitz ones. Wish I still had them :sad: .)

6. OP
    OP
    Sewin

Sewin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There were lots of export model Prakticas labelled as different "makes", Revue-Flex, Hanimex, Pentor, Jenaflex,Porst etc.

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Revue was the brand for photo products sold by west-german mail-order department store Quelle. Yes, during the last year of GDR one manual-only B-model (BMC) was sold under this brand. And vbefore 10 models from non-B series.

Praktica models can fill a whole collectors life...

8. chuck3565

chuck3565 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Foto Quelle also had retail stores. I bought a Revue-Flex camera at one in Amsterdam in the mid 80s.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Mamiya TL was the first real "Spotmatic" - its meter was a spot-only meter. The DTL models had spot and averaging.

11. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

"Rare" is not a word usually associated with 50mm lenses for Praktica M42 but I think I may have found one.
    It appears to be a Domiplan from about the middle of the zebra stripe production run, it is numbered 4243xxx.I think that would make it about mid 70s
    But it is marked "Prakticar", well before the use of the name on the "B" series lenses.
    Prakticar (Domiplan).jpg

12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Görlitz time-machine

13. mpirie

mpirie Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Wow, that takes me back about 40 years to when i was the proud owner of a Praktica LTL3 with the 50/2.8 Domiplan.

I look at my camera cupboard now and think how things have changed!!

Mike

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MrclSchprs

MrclSchprs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a soft spot for the Praktica BX20s. Never had one, never held one ... nevertheless I find it an intriguing camera. Especially with the 35, 50 and 85 Carl Zeiss lenses in Praktica B mount.

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The L-model that never was :

17. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  18. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here's another one from the same guy.

19. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He simplified things by making the winder integral part of the camera. Its base now lacks a tripod mount. Using the original body-mount necessitates a custom made stud with milled top.

At about 5 million L-models sold, there should have been a market for Pentacon to sell at least some winders profitable. Hindsight argueing...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018 at 3:28 PM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.