Praktica Appreciation Thread

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Sewin, Jun 9, 2015.

1. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any idea why it was sprayed green? (Or casted that way.)
    We typically find such at hunting stuff, not on cameras.

2. darthj

darthj Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I suppose it is cast in green plastic. There are 3 versions : entirely green as this one, top and bottom green with black main body and top and bottom black with green main body. I have no clue why they did this, without a flash the green even looks black. Well the 1990s was a period when cameras got more colourfull. There were a few more of these specials, all produced in very limited quantities, so they have become very rare and very expensive.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. darthj

darthj Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Imported from Ukraine, hence the Russian lens. Besides the crosshairs in the viewfinder no differences with an ordinary L type visible.

endoskopie 800.jpg

5. cuthbert

cuthbert Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has your sample been re-modified to use a photographic lens?

The endoscopy version of the Type L should have a different fieldlens than the standard version.
    That it got a cross-hair groundscreen makes it likely that it still got the different fieldlens.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. darthj

darthj Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have compared it with an L3 Endoskop and they both have the same construction intended for medical use Probably you could make som funny round pictures with it. The Industar lens seems to be purpose-built for this camera as the crosshairs are clearly visible with this lens only.

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It makes no sense to built/modify a taking lens just to fit a field lens of a finder assembly, which easily could be replaced by a repair man.

I only got one source that states the field lens to be different. Mayby the difference is only the screen proper.
    And if the lens was different it only would effect the brightness spread over the finder image.

9. darthj

darthj Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  10. Agulliver

Agulliver Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Took two Praktica BX20S bodies to Malta for 10 days in February 2017, one loaded with B&W and one with colour film....including a hop to Sicily and a trip up Mount Etna.

Film used is Efke KB25 (expired 2006), Fomapan 100, Agfa Vista Plus 200 and Kodak Ektar 100 all fresh)

Here are some of the results...

004.JPG 007.JPG 016.JPG 026.JPG 032.JPG 039.JPG 048.JPG 054.JPG 064.JPG 066.JPG 070.JPG 073.jpg 079.jpg

004.JPG

11. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Praktica PLC 2.jpg Praktica PLC 2 + 50mm.jpg Praktica PLC 2 center.jpg

This Praktica PLC 2 was from a house clearance. A CR123 3V Lithium battery with a metal spacer (short bolt) got the meter going.
    By the rewind crank the top dial marking gives open aperture metering with Pentacon electric lenses set to A. The lower dial marking gives metered manual with other M42 non electric lenses set to M.
    Open aperture metering works best in dark conditions and might suit an electric Pancolar but in bright daylight I did not find it to be a particular advantage.

There is a pic from London Bridge on old Agfaphoto APX 100 at f8.

Finally , there is an enlargement of a section of the above image, the full picture is over 20 times as wide as this:

12. Agulliver

Agulliver Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I took my BX20S in for repair in the early 2000's, I was told by Luton Camera Repairs that they could still get a new body...which was the green version. I am guessing by then they were NOS and if I remember correctly the price was £289 body only. Considering about £100 had been paid for the body plus a 70-210mm lens in 1993 (bought direct from the Dresden factory) I passed and just had mine repaired.

Now I wish I had a funky green BX20S...not that I'd sell it but knowing it's a collectors item now would be fun.

Still.....as things are I have two BX20S bodies, loads of lenses for the B system from Carl Zeiss, Sigma and Tamron (and a couple of Prakticars)...the BD24 and BD32 flash units and one BX winder...I cannot complain!

13. Daniël Oosterhuis

Daniël Oosterhuis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another Praktica fan here! Late last year, when I got into film photography, I was looking for a 35mm SLR and to my luck, my favorite thrift shop had just gotten a bunch of camera stuff in. In it, there was a Praktica MTL5, with the box, manual, and strap included, for a measly €5. I couldn't possibly say no. Also, there were a bunch of M42 lenses being sold as a set for €10, which I grabbed too. In it, there was the Jena Biometar 80mm 2.8 lens, which from what I can find is a fairly rare lens in M42 mount. I've used this as my main lens, and I really like it! The camera runs like a dream, and I'll share some results as soon as I get my Coolscan up and running. So here's my Praktica, my to go camera for 35mm:
    P_20170503_165138.jpg P_20170503_165102.jpg

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is for the first time I see this strap, more precise such knob with the brandname and a SLR icon embossed!

16. anfenglin

anfenglin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was the standard strap which cost 19,- East German Mark. Congrats, the lenses were a steal for that price, are they technically ok?
    The focusing tends to get stiff in the old Alu lenses. Also, there might be haze?

17. Daniël Oosterhuis

Daniël Oosterhuis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The focusing ring is a bit stiff, but is still workable. There doesn't seem to be much if any haze, I can't detect it anyway. But I do plan on putting aside some money to eventually get it CLA'd, just so I know it'll last me a long time. I'm already looking at which camera places are most affordable but offer good quality service in the Netherlands.

18. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The MTL5 was a sweet deal, the Biometar was a robbery.

PS: You'll probably need to refresh the light seals on that MTL.

19. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Produced samples:

Complete Praktica L-family : 5 million

in comparison:
    KMZ Zenit E-family: 10 million
    Canon A-family : 12 million

20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What finger do you use to release models of the L-family?
    Index finger or middle finger?

To me the middle finger seems best.

21. foc

foc Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Index finger for me but I can understand the middle.

22. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least these models are a good example that the form of handling a camera is not carved in stone. To the contrary what often is stated here.

23. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    +1

I hold my Praktica like showed in the instruction manual.

[​IMG]

24. darthj

darthj Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    What would be the advantage / use of holding your camera upside down ? Something for left-handed people ?

25. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    -) releasing with left hand
    -) forehead as base
    -) slightly higher lens position (might be benefitial in some nearby situations)

26. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's very comfortable to use your forehead to stabilise the camera instead of having your cheek and nose cramped against the door.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.