Postcard Exchange Round 39 Comments & Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Oct 2, 2016.

1. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    All my cards were posted yesterday - apologies for the delay.
    I've received some more great cards this round:

Anikin's wonderful card of Paris' iconic Eiffel tower - my niece loves this!!
    Darwin's lovely texture-filled image from Salt Spring Island; I actually feel this looks a lot like a pheasant foraging in the undergrowth.
    rpavich's moody portrait "Ark Encounter".
    gijsbert's superb shot of Antelope Canyon; I've only ever seen this in colour previously, and love your B&W shot. One of the places I truly hope to visit before I'm too old to sit on a plane for 24hrs. :wink:
    Neil's quirky, symmetrical shot at Hurst Castle made me smile and my youngest niece immediately called it a robot too.
    CircusMalta's "Sunset, Valletta Skyline" is lovely; I would love to visit next time I make it to Europe. Glad you enjoyed Mildura on your visit to Australia.
    Sue's great shot from Falmouth brought a smile to my face (as well as my mum's) - we visited this lovely little town when I took her back to the UK almost 20 years ago.
    Oxleyroad's "Waterfall" captures the Japanese style of garden beautifully.

2. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    Thank you MikeC for the "Clifton's" photo. It reminds me of Paul Strand's street scene out the front of the NY Stock Exchange. Diminutive figures in the foreground with an imposing almost omnipotent building in the background. I especially like the lighting which adds to that flavour. Thanks again & cheers! samcomet

3. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replay, thats pretty close what I had in mind, although I ain't no Paul Strand its nice you mention his name.

4. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    MikeC,
    Don't sell yourself short. Even Paul Strand had his heroes!!! :cool: FWIW I think that you did a fine job of hero worship there.
    cheers,
    sam

5. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    Thank you Ozphoto for your wonderful window box from Austria. It's sublime. If AustraliaPost ever ran a photographic competition for stamp illustrations, like other country's postal departments do, I reckon that yours would make a pretty great entry! cheers for now, Sam

6. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Thank you, Sam, for your kind words - glad you liked the shot. (The card hasn't even arrived in Adelaide yet, even though it was posted here on Monday; gotta love the Australian Postal Service. :blink:)

MikeC's arrived yesterday - I too love the look and feel, it's one of my favourites for this round.

7. ced

ced Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Is there anyway to see the images that people have sent/received somewhere please?

8. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks ozphoto, I am glad it got through the XMass mail rush hour.

9. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was considering showing the ones I've sent at least (with any other useful information as an addition) but before that I had better make certain that all of them have reached properly the given destination as a "post"card first and without breaking any kind of rule, if any about it ...

10. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a postcard exchange gallery in the media gallery that people sometimes post to - but you need to be a subscriber to view them. That said, I think very few people post their postcard images there.

11. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have received one more Postcard today (Tuesday/20th).

"Cliftons Living History" (mike c): Amazing postcard quality paper! and a perfect surrounding condition for a nice story behind. Honestly, I really feel the need (as visual aid) for a little more symmetry in the spectacular development captured of pedestrians on the sidewalk.

Thank you very much!
    Ricardo

12. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks Ricardo, I happy with your comments and pleased that the card made it to you. Are you saying more balance from side to side of the pedestrians? It was pretty early on a Sunday morning and had to wait around for this group of people to walk by, I would like to do this over again during the week when it is much busier, but I know what you mean. I was thinking of using my 4x5 speed Graphic with full rise to reduce the convergence in the buildings.

13. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's right mike c! although I can also understand the difficulty to take control over it, because we sometimes lose one thing by doing another, particularly challenging when dealing with people & time. For instance, if you had waited a few more seconds for that last lady to enter and give enough space and rhythm within both sides of the plane, perhaps you've been missing that man looking at you in the middle - and his moving foot in the same way as the rest (or lose the lovely space between them you have managed to combine), not to mention that in the way it looks now that lady gives continuity to the move action in the scene ... Anyway, I hope it doesn't bother you, please, bear in mind that it's in my view. I'll be pleased to see your next 4x5 attempt.

Congratulations and Kind regards!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I appreciate it LAG, I knew the people were important and interesting but hard to tell what they will do, which makes it kind of fun. I shot 4 frames on my Rolliecord and this looked the best.

Mike

16. Black Dog

Black Dog Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've posted all mine-Happy Christmas!

17. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have ozphoto's beautiful Window box, the color and printing are marvelous.

18. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Thanks Mike, appreciate.

19. ajmiller

ajmiller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks to Nanette (ozphoto) - received your print over Christmas.
    A lovely colour photo of a window box in Austria - a place I last visited when I was about 15 y/o - many moons ago!
    Happy New Year!

20. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Cheers - it was most certainly a lovely place to visit & hope I have the chance to do so again one day.

Blackdog
    's great card arrived in the mail today, and Matt King's arrived just before Christmas.
    Wishing everyone a very Happy NY - looking forward to the PCE again in 2017!

21. labcoat

labcoat Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I finally posted all my cards today. Apologies for being so unfashionably late once again. At least I managed to send the cards before the end of the year. For this round I printed three diferrent negatives.
    I think I received almost all of the cards at this point – that just show how late I am. All of them are wonderful and I think the quality overall is pretty high this round. I always hang the cards I receive on a line in the living room. When I have people coming over they often comment very positively on the photos. I thought I should pass it on.
    So thank you everybody for the nice poostcards and enjoy the rest of the year!

22. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't worry labcoat, you are not the only one who's late! I thought I could get my cards done by today, but that's not going to happen. However, I should be able to finish them in the next week I think! In the meantime, I've received some really nice cards this round, but I'll have to comment on them later.

23. OP
    OP
    George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for a job well done in round 39, now it's time for 40! (there was a url link here which no longer exists) For those still trying to get cards out you have a few weeks before sign up closes.

24. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    03 Jan 2017

I have received many nice cards, and now I have chance to comment on them (in no particular order). Thank you to all.

The card from mike c recalls a time when those that had enough shared their riches. Very nicely printed. The building facade is rich with detail.
    A nice color print from Ozphoto that reminds me of the "festerbloomen" (window flowers) we see in Switzerland.
    A very fogged print from LAG. The photo looks like it was made with a Holga or pinhole camera. Works well with the fogged paper, except it is so fogged that image details are hidden.
    "291" from MattKing is nice study in details. I like how you separated the oars from the dark background. Well done.
    The card from Neil Hibbs asked if I see the robot. Yes I do, a crude robot, but a robot nevertheless.
    Nicely composed waterfall from Oxleyroad. Nicely printed, but I would have let the water move a little more.
    The photo from Black Dog of grasses in the wind reminds me of the Kona Coast in Hawaii'. There are trees and grasses to the cliff-edge where they fall off int lava rock. Not likely were this photo was taken.

Thanks to all for a wonderful round of nice prints. I look forward to Round #40.

Regards,
    Darwin

25. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Kodak paper expired in 1983 . Camera: Kodak Brownie Box nº2 [Ilford Fp4] . I suppose that my "Dreamlike Seismogram" intention has failed, it was a difficult bet to win . Sorry about that Darwin

Thank you very much for your kind words

26. ajmiller

ajmiller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Received a smashing postcard from Labcoat today. Plenty to look at, great composition and the play-off between the the sign and bike makes for an excellent photo. Thank you very much for this one Johannes. I really like it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.