Postcard Exchange Round 39 Comments & Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Oct 2, 2016.

1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep - you can see the (metric) length on some of the oars themselves.
    Its something I like to do some times - give a photo a title that you can actually find in it if you look carefully.

2. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OKay, I see now.

3. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    Thank you Eugene (Anikin) for your YABPP but I hesitate to contradict you; it is NOT a "boring" Paris photo, it is very nice indeed! Also thank to G de Haan in Montreal for his beautiful print of Antelope Canyon; the tones and textures are sublime to say the least, Most appreciated from all so far.
    cheers,
    Sam (samcomet)

4. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have two cards today, Ricardo (LAG) the fish symbol shaped with some string on a brick road and the title "Surfing the waves" bring memory's back from my surfing days. I have always notice a connection between Surfing and Religion with a lot of Surfers I knew.
    And then there is mister DRPSILVER a "Flame in the Wood Salt Spring Island" the bark or palm frond does look like a flame, a more passive flame anyways. 2 very nice cards thankyou guys.

5. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just back from holidays and received 3 cards in the post.
    First from Neil Hibbs - interesting story, nicely printed and I see the robot!!
    Second - from Matt King - I too thought it was of cigars at first look - probably the brown toner - very nicely printed and an interesting detail shot. I like it!
    Thirdly from Darwin an intriguing photo which does make the imagination work (along with nature) - I thought it was a fallen bird at first. Well seen and printed.
    Thanks to all for the postcards.

6. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few more cards have arrived for me as well:
    Anikin's "But at Least..." - nice classic Paris view, I have the same one! ;-) Actually, your series title (Yet Another Boring Paris Photo) reflects the problem I had the first time I ever went to Paris - I was paralysed in terms of picture-taking - I felt that every photo that could be taken had already been taken so what was the point? Eventually I was able to lift the camera up and start shooting, but it is an overwhelming place sometimes. Long story short, I like your photo!
    Ricardo's "Couple" - an interesting double exposure of some very well-known symbols.
    rpavich's "Ark Encounter" - seems ominous and majestic at the same time
    Matt King's "291 cm" - nice details of the oars, although unfortunately the post office took a small bite out of the middle of the image.
    ajmiller's "Fairground Ride" makes me laugh - for such a happy activity that car looks pretty morose. Nice one.

I'm in the middle of cleaning up my darkroom/storage room, so once that's done, I'll hopefully have my cards printed this weekend.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  7. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Received a fine print today from 'Oxleyroad' thank you.

8. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have received three new Postcards today (Friday/18th).

1. Waterfall (Oxleyroad): three-cornered moments for a forest-water at the same time. I'm sure you can improve future titles for higher reading.

2. 291 cm (Mattking): a dramatic low key picture story, with numbers that embrace too many water pulling behind, for sure! (The funny thing with this card is that the fortune of some post-marks have made further use to those oars, in this new "shipping"!)

3. Flame in Wood (Drpsilver): while hard to find in the tonal contrast chosen, hides a fanstastic idea, wings of fire stolen out of a haphazard nature!

Contratulations all of you, and thank you very much of course!
    Ricardo

9. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad to hear that mike. I apologise for the delay to say: you're welcome!

Thanks

10. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few cards that made it to my home so far:

"Dragon head" from Sue Evans. Cool detailed wood carving. You used just a perfect angle for the shot. It's as if the dragon is looking straight at the viewer. Very threatening look.

"Gas worth Church" by David Abberley. Lovely English scenery. If I leave long enough, I'd like to visit these amazing places in UK. Very nice work!

"Fairground Ride" by Anthony Miller. A great postcard look. Empty rides waiting for children to come. Masterful printing job. Very sharp and superb tones.

“Two Vases” by Avi. Still life with two vases. Superb lighting! I love the spatial refrections on the right and smooth shade transition on the left. Makes a nice balance.

“Waterfall” by Oxleyrod. A very classic view of running water in a waterfall. Very sharp and great combination of textures.

“Flame in Wood” by Darwin. An image of a very interesting splintered tree stump. The look is very unusual!

“Antelope Canyon” by G de Haan. A mesmerizing shot of the canyon. For years my wife and I wanted to visit the place, but were never able to. I guess I’ll have to do it in my next lifetime. Thank you!

“291 cm” by Matt King. Wow, that’s cool! Looking at the photo I never would have guessed that these are oars! Great-great-great detail shot that made it almost an abstract. Love it!

11. rpavich

rpavich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been busy at work and this is the first time I've had the chance to shout out another post card receipt.
    This time it was Oxleyroad's "Waterfall" shot. Very nice job. Look's like a very pretty location and very well done!

On a related note; I've noticed that many of the cards I've gotten have the address labels on the back. I really struggled with this, I printed mine via a laser printer and the type kept flaking off even when I was handling them. I'm not sure what happened. I ended up using regular printing paper and gluing it on using a glue stick but there HAS to be a better way.

Oxleyroad...what did you use?

12. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Received a card from 'Black Dog' - nicely printed and the feeling of winter light is well portrayed. Thank you!

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check to make sure you aren't using labels that are designed for inkjet and unsuitable for laser printers.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, sorry for breaking in here . Are you folks printing real photo post cards in US if I recall 3 1/2 x 5 1/2, Or Ilford 4x6 post card paper ? I'm a big fan of old time RPPC .
    Best Mike

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, we print "real" photo post cards, except those of us who print some more exotic things like cyanotype postcards, or ???

In the US, the standard size for postcards is 4" x 6" so the Ilford postcard paper is perfect. In other parts of the world our postal services have slightly different standards, but the Ilford paper will most likely work as well.

The exchange is really international, so if you participate, you end up really looking forward to picking up the day's mail.

Take a look through the Sticky treads in this sub-forum and consider signing up when the next round begins.

17. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    Thank you Neil Hibbs! I DID see the robot!!! Cheers for now, Sam (samcomet)

18. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used shipping labels - "Staples" Brand and an inkjet printer if that helps.

19. rpavich

rpavich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ahhh...yes it does, thanks

20. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    Thanks to Darwin (drpsilver) for the beautiful "Flame in Wood" card. The selenium toning adds that certain something to the print. AND thanks to oxleyroad for your "Waterfall". A fine rendition of nature at its best!
    cheers to you both!
    Sam (samcomet) :smile:

21. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have received one more Postcard today (Monday/28th).

Writing in the sand (Black Dog): For me this work is an incredible utterance, Syntactically wonderful and Morphologically excellent! Endearing card indeed!

My congratulations Jake, Thank you very much!
    Ricardo

22. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    Thanks to Alan Falzon for your great looking sunset skyline and your cheery note about your visit downunder. Also thanks to Sue at Harmon for the smiling "scary" dragon. Methinks he is not too scary, but. And, as always, Harmon products line my shelves. Thanks again both of you. Cheers, Sam

23. rpavich

rpavich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just received a really nice image of "The Robot" from Neil Hibbs. Thanks for the information you provided on your day and the printing specifics!
    It's rich looking and interesting :smile:

24. rpavich

rpavich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Received a very nice shot from Mike C today; "Clifton's Living History."
    Nicely shot and processed. It has a "turn of the century" feel to it and I appreciate Mike taking the time to give the historical details of the building also!

25. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks rpavich,I knew nothing of the buildings past tell after I had developed the film. I am going to go back soon and photograph the newly remodeled version.

26. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Received a postcard from mike c - I like the contrast between the old and new - the building and the people. Nicely printed too. Thanks Mike.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.