New Reflex camera

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by farmersteve, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Agulliver

Agulliver Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah I don't see where they state that they accidentally asked for APS-C size shutters. They do state that the high speed shutter they want is more available in that size than full frame....but not that they made a mistake and asked about APS-C.

2. dutchsteammachine

dutchsteammachine Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any thoughts on how likely it is for an inexperienced manufacturer to develop a stable 1/4000th second shutter?

3. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never said they mistakenly inquired about an APS-C shutter. Rather, they misunderstood the nature, or conditions, of the price quote given to them.

Here is the statement from REFLEX:

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You said:
    "Yet, if I read their website correctly, the price quote given to them on shutters was for a large volume of the type of shutters used with digital APS-C sized sensors."
    And they did not even say the quote they have been given was on APS. You thought so.

5. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I did infer that. I will accept being mistaken in my interpretation of what they wrote. However, their "rookie mistake" was in not obtaining a definitive price quote for exactly what they needed and in the projected quantities.

As an engineer, I have had to work with the procurement department in my company on many millions of units (parts) - a mistake such as made by REFLEX would've been extremely serious.

6. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, they needed more than a quote. They needed a contract.

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But you were an expert hired to do decent work.

With the Reflex team so far we do not know whether this was planned as fake or was something like "Guys why not make a new SLR, in times of Kickstarter that should be viable, in any case without risk for us". Though whether this all is without risk for the entrepeneurs is still to show.

8. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it seems I am upset with the REFLEX team, I'm really not. I hope it does not appear that I'm saying to them, "you should have known better", because I don't mean that. I think they truly wanted to produce something new for the photo community and have fun doing it. Unfortunately, they needed someone working with them that had experience in manufacturing some sort of product from start to finish; someone who had been through the types of issues they've encountered. Ultimately, I do wish them success - though perhaps this project has been very stressful for them.

9. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    No doubt.
    I do not think any of them are "Scammers".....unfortunately it seems neither were they manufactures.
    They seem to have no experience in this type of endeavor. Just a bunch of photo-enthusiasts that got caught up in the whole Film Thing.....wishing there was a new camera to buy, etc etc
    Tucker got his cars built faster than these guys are producing a camera. :smile:

10. Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think they are scammers per se. They are at the minimum naive and I will just leave it as that. I think this is a sad case of users not doing their diligence. Just because someone has a KickStarter, it does not mean that the plan is sound. There will be angry people for sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.