Lomography - this is how you inspire the younger generation into film

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by gr82bart, Dec 12, 2017.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi art
    i think a lot of people don't get today's kids LOL
    im not too old ( well to a kid, i am ancient ) ...
    and i am absolutely clueless
    i sort of get where some of the people who are anti-trendy
    anti-lomo, anti-holga, anti-digtal, anti-fun yadda yadda yadda are coming from.
    and while i "get it" i do my best to ignore it. its been loud static for decades..

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John and Art.
    I have mixed feelings about Lomography - some parts wonderful, other parts frustrating - and have some concerns about which way some of the trends are trending.
    But the fun part - that is where Lomography (and others) are great.
    Along with the curiosity and creativity and playfulness and .....

3. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why does it not surprise me some people start threads about how fashionable and original they are, and how out of touch everyone else is, and no one replies to them. Perhaps shooting with a camera made out of Lego is the epitome of coolness, or perhaps it's desperate attention seeking for the aesthetically challenged? Who can possibly say?

4. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."--Mark Twain.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As the OP has pointed out, we're "senile old white men", we can't possibly "get it". We should be pitied, not scorned....
    I'm just glad of the "ignore" function.

6. 4season

4season Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I'm enjoying these books quite a bit, if mostly for the sheer enthusiasm: They staged some pretty impressive events!

https://shop.lomography.com/en/lomolife-book

I don't mind the idea of trying some non-Lomography box cameras, but in my experience (from the western USA) I'd probably have to make a special trip out to one of the antique malls to find something like a Kodak Hawkeye. Don't think I've ever seen an Agfa or Zeiss box camera, much less a Fujipet. Postwar USA was the land of plenty and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if a lot of cheaper cameras simply got tossed out with the trash. Probably easier to find postwar Japanese stuff here than low- to mid-line European goods.

7. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    can we just call it low-fi photography vs Lomography ?

8. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Low-fi, snap-shooting, whatever. Calling it Lomography is as pretentious as calling 35mm Leicagraphy.

9. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i am completely offended at such outrageous comments !

10. paulbarden

paulbarden Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    How about we stop applying labels to these different styles of photo-making? Maybe then we will stop being so judgemental and sneering at technology that doesn't fit certain ideas of what "quality" tools and photo techniques are. All cameras a just tools. The tools don't matter nearly as much as what comes out of the creative use of the tool. Do you suppose a gardener who creates a spectacular garden expects to be praised/evaluated based on what kind of shovel he/she used??

11. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm all for just saying we practice photography as gear really shouldn't matter :wink: I feel like I'm going to hurl if I hear Lomography one. more. time lol

12. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i think that is a terrible idea!
    if we just say photography and no mention of what kind &c
    how are we supposed to know who to throw under the bus ???

13. dutchsteammachine

dutchsteammachine Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The plan of Lomography all along was to get young people to buy film, in an attempt to stretch the availability of the medium a bit longer before all manufactures collapse.

The two things I do like about lomography , is that they started to produce a long dead film format, 110 film. And the Petzval lenses.

I used to really dislike lomography... now I no longer mind it. If people are having fun, who cares? I think lomo camera's are a waste of money but whatever. The more film sells the better.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hmmm, you do have a point :wink:))

and when you mention bus, do you mean big yellow ones that carry people or the german version that invoked nostalgia and longoing in people who used to one one or want to own one ? I miss my water leaker :sad:

16. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You make it sounds as if Lomography were a charity! Lomography is a business. If there was no money to be made from serving a niche sector they wouldn't be doing it. If more people were buying film from established manufacturers who actually make the stuff, there'd be no need for branding exercises like Lomography. As far as I know the company don't manufacture anything except packaging. Nothing wrong with turning a profit, but let's not confuse business with philanthropy. Lomography's success has been to blur the boundaries and make taking photographs on film a form of fashionable re-enactment.

17. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IDK i am thinkig of a big vehicle that can squish someone. no clue what brand or color :smile: like "public transit"
    or a charter bus .. :smile:

==
    doesn't sound like that at all. no one is suggesting lomography is or ever was a charity. they saw a way to
    market a medium on its death-bed and they have done a great job doing it.
    and i am guessing at lomography.com every 4ththread isn't about proper exposure or densitometry
    or how "having a good time" is sending the wrong message to people who want ot have a fun hobby/distraction.
    photography doesn't need to be so serious...

18. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Lomography predates the contraction and demise of mass film use. It wasn't conceived as dutchsteammachine suggests, as a plan to stretch the availability of film. Those are consequences of a business marketing strategy to make quirky cameras fashionable and offer the company a profit.

The evangelical hype is what irks some of us, the idea that Lomography is singlehandedly keeping film alive when they don't manufacture a single emulsion or design a camera (the very things that enable film photography), that snap shooting on basic cameras was an invention of the Lomography company when it comprised the majority of photographs ever taken, and Lomography has somehow put fun into photography that had died out if it ever previously existed. Those things are palpably untrue, yet people continue to propagate the myth.

The fact enthusiast magazines pushed photography as an earnest pursuit requiring expensive equipment and an extraordinary degree of skill, was never a position endorsed by the general public who were happy to point, shoot and pick their prints up from a high street lab, in exactly the way the Lomography company promotes as their own invention. Lomography's business supporters underline their hubris by insisting anyone who gets it is a fun loving, youthful and creative sensibility, and those who aren't completely on board are gear obsessed stick in the mud's ungrateful for Lomography's charitable attempts to keep film photography alive. For those of us who have enjoyed democratic, mass produced photography based on simple cameras for decades, such claims are breath-taking in their presumption. My sense of humour is fully intact, as is my knowledge of marketing and photographic history.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  19. 4season

4season Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    In terms of owning factories, you are probably correct. But nevertheless instrumental in keeping the Lomo camera tradition alive, and perhaps a key reason why Zenit still makes photographic equipment. According to Lomo Life, the Lomo factory basically gave them the blueprints to the LC-A and their blessing to have camera production resumed elsewhere (and I think the world is a tiny bit richer for it).

20. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What does that mean? Lomo compact cameras were a Soviet attempt to ape the fashion for similar cameras in the West. Their claim to fame is they sold at a considerably cheaper price than their non-planned economy equivalents. Russian cameras sold in Western Europe based on price alone, and consumers accepted out of date design and questionable quality control as a consequence of their very low cost. The Soviets needed Western currency, and budget cameras were one of the ways of acquiring it. I don't know how that denotes "a tradition" unless its for bargain basement manufacturing in a failing political economy. Re-framing cheap consumer goods as desirable is a polemic in the efficiency of communism as a means of satisfying photographic needs (which it clearly is not), or a first world, post modern exercise in nostalgia for people who never endured its exigency as producer or consumer.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  21. Ste_S

Ste_S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you're stretching here. There isn't any evangelical hype, nor do they claim they invented snap shooting with toy cameras.
    As far as I can make out*, they generally promote film photography with a leaning to toy cameras. That they also stuck with film when people where jumping ship for digital should be applauded.

*This is from following the Lomo magazine/blog which occasionally has some good articles
    https://www.lomography.com/magazine

22. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My point is their followers believe this to be the case, as this thread is evidence of. As I said, they don't make a single emulsion, so the common claim that "Lomography has saved film" is ill informed.

There may come a point where existing production capacity is taken over by the company, but apart from a few special effect films and re-runs of toy/joke/simple cameras, their contribution to film photography has been to swap the box on an existing product. If that means making film less expensive and boutique, I applaud them. There's not much evidence this is the case. The way to save film is to buy it from the people who make it.

23. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the dire consequences of selling repackaged film and lomo cameras are what exactly ?
    they get people interested in film and keep labs .. labbing ?

yup, they existed in the 90s .. by the 2000s they had people interested in what they were doing, a website
    and began building and selling out of brick and mortar stores. just as kodak was starting to look ike a dead goldfish you'd flush down the toilet.
    IDK, i guess the problem is they have people shooting film like they were making cellphone snapshots. IDK, maybe i'm wrong, but
    i think that's a lot better for the film industry as a whole than the serious weekender who spends 9 hours exposing 2 sheets of film on
    a camera bought for 3$ at a swap meet on film horded 15 years before.

i'm guessing it wasn't the largeformat weekender that saved the film industry.

who cares if they repackage film ...
    j+c, bregger, freestyle photowarehouse just to name a few do or did it,
    and same with paper, i don't think LODIMA has their own factory ..

if it is the $$ involved the original KODAK cost $245 in 1885, which is over $6600 today
    LOMO cameras are cheap by comparison !

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  24. paulbarden

paulbarden Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Exactly. The whole “lomography agenda” mythology is a gross distortion of the facts. Nine times out of ten, when I read some sneering, dismissive remark about The L Word, it’s fueled mainly by a defensive snobbery geared to belittle a photographic democratizing tool that is more closely aligned to Kodak’s Box Brownie than the critics would care to admit.

25. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The difference between Lomography and the numerous rebrands that preceded it, is the others made their own brand less expensive than the original. If you'd care to cite examples of Lomography providing cheaper film than the kosher item (in store promotions not withstanding), I'm listening.

26. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I shoot a film a day on average, more or less, taken over the year. I admit to being a film hoarder, all fresh stock, because companies keep withdrawing my favourite emulsions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.