Lomography - this is how you inspire the younger generation into film

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by gr82bart, Dec 12, 2017.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. TerryMcC

TerryMcC Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I agree. I bought a lomography minitar lens in M mount. Fun and easy to use, plus if you take the time to read the booklet that came with it you can be truly inspired to try new and amazing things. Ps I’m 63 and keep an open mind and am always on the lookout for things to help me grow.

3. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nice and real pictures in OP link. Lomography was born in Austria.

But no, you not. Showboards exercises are taken with digital action cameras. Lomography store has some as well, but lomography on film is for people from eighties. It was no digital cameras back then, no phones, no FB, ISG and else.
    Now young ones are taking it with mobile phones or (few) with Fuji Instax.

4. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't shoot lomo per-say but I do shoot with janky cameras and expired film.

Digital gave us Young'ns the opportunity to faf around with film in ways that our Dads would have cuffed us on the back of the head for. If I NEEEEEED a shot I'll pull out a digital camera. Otherwise I'll play with some film and do fun and stupid stuff while learning all the way.

Re-loaded disposable camera with expired 400 speed b&w and a cheap fish-eye glued on the front? Why not...

5. TerryMcC

TerryMcC Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    G
    Bravo. Be feral in attitude and enjoy your photography.

6. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Lomography was two things, an attitude and a product. Taking shots in a carefree way often results in more original work than a studied approach. It was the way compact 35mm cameras were intended to be used, point, shoot and see if any magic happened in the process. Lomography the product is pure marketing, the world is awash in lo-fi cameras. Better to spend the asking price on film.

I assume the snowboarders used the exposure compensation button on their Olympus, because they'd have a lot of grey snow if not. That decision requires a knowledge of technique as well as "attitude".

7. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks! It's about the journey AND the destination.

I was told 'One film, one developer' Screw that! With so many stocks out there and combos why not try everything? I have sitting on a shelf right now, D-76, Tmax Dev, Lmax, HC-110, Illford Multigrade, Rodinal, and the raw ingredients for coffee stuff-C, a wildly overused C-41 kit and some moldering teabags.

I shoot expired HP5+, Tri-x from the 70's, triple stack filters to see what will happen, boil the film in cottage cheese, expose the roll one time then roll through a second time. Re-load in wonky cassettes and shoot ignoring the meter.

I shot recently a roll of Ultrafine Xtreme 400 @ 1600 in a F3 with a pre-ai lens that is funged up. Developed in D-76 1+1 for 11min but dumped the dev halfway through and let sit in water for 3 min then put the dev back in. Did I gain anything? Dunno, but the photos look great.

Film has infinite possibilities in the process, far far far more than digital. Digital allows you infinite photo opportunities without major variables. I love the variables of film, I love the weirdness that even the best film shot perfectly will sometimes have. I love pondering what I will do with the roll when I finish. Freeze for a year? Develop right now? In what? How? Where? Scan or print?

I may be too involved to be a Lomo. Lomo's that I know tend to drop off the film at a lab, it's about the shot and result, maybe not so much post once the roll has been shot.

8. Craig75

Craig75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  9. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why are stories of traveling around in an RV in the snow any different because the participants shot film rather than digital?

10. Craig75

Craig75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    article tells you why author uses film

11. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tones and colors?

13. Craig75

Craig75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yes in lomo article and in ilford article its "I am attracted to film photography because it allows me to remember all of the fun and interesting things that are happening in my life right now in a way that, to me, feels more profound than a collection of snapchats or instagrams." which both seem fair enough

Shooting with film in those circumstances, sports in snow, - its different technique to digital - so I guess people enjoy that technique of shooting to digital too

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film is more profound? I shoot film, but I don't regard it as more profound, whatever that even means. I do not understand the psychology. It's a tool.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  16. Craig75

Craig75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    maybe because film made him work for his shots, they meant more. I dont know but whatever his reason means to him - its getting him nice shots and he's having fun so its working for him!

why do you shoot it? I'd imagine your reason could be applied to his reason and vice versa

17. BrianVS

BrianVS Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    Too Funny- my co-worker has a daughter in High-School, using his old SLR. It locked-up, she needed an SLR quickly to finish class for B&W photography. I loaned him a Black Canon Ftb, 50/1.8 (had been serviced) , 28/2.8, and 35~135/3.5 with Y2, Orange, and Deep Orange filters. Also told him that I had a monochrome digital camera. His 16-YO daughter's reaction, "Why would I want a digital camera, I can do everything I want with Film". When I heard that- told him the camera is hers, do not need it back, it's in good hands. Also gave her a Retina IIa- so she'd have an RF and an SLR.

How about- Film is Tangible, Digital requires software.

18. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go straight to the horse's mouth! This link will provide Ian's email address: http://www.iandurkin.com/about/. He might be able to enlighten you to his motives beyond what you read.

19. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's a tool in the same way a fountain pen is. It's had it's time and there are far more convenient tools that do a more consistent job with less mess but when you sign the contract you use a fountain pen.

20. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The psychology is that film is a philosophy, not a tool. The idea behind film to the Lomographer is to embrace the imperfections and just roll with it. With digital, it's much to easy to control every aspect of the photograph, so perfection seems possible. A bad digital photograph shows a lack of skill. With film, the level of difficulty is so much higher, that perfection is unobtainable. Thus the user is freed from the burden of high expectations, and allowed to fail without consequence. A bad film photograph shows a lack of luck. It's more of a Zen, live in the now, type of thing. At least that's what I've been told.

21. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Who does this, and why? What is the psychology of using a fountain pen? You do know that signing a charge slip in a restaurant or at the mall is a contract?

22. Craig75

Craig75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    fountain pen is calligraphy tool - when used by me it looks like garbage - when used by a calligrapher or artist - they can look amazing.

23. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes but the context was using a fountain pen to sign a contract, not calligraphy.

24. Craig75

Craig75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ahh. Harder to forge i guess using a fountain pen plus its tradition.

25. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I practiced law for decades and witnessed thousands of contacts being signed. The few that were signed with a fountain pen were generally done by people who wanted to feel a heightened sense of importance, and who exhibited other affected behaviors. I wouldn't wish those characteristics on photographers who choose to shoot film (and is why I think the analogy is misplaced), but sometimes the shoe fits.

26. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use a fountain pen because it works at the same speed I think. A good point and shoot camera should do the same.