Kodak new super 8 camera

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by amellice, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak has been VERY shady this past week. They need to pull this camera off if they are to retain even a modicum of respectability.

3. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pulling off that camera is the last thing they need. Like their tablets and phone it will be a conspicuous commercial failure. Best for all concerned at KODK that it never see the light of day.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Liked to - not like. You need to change your tenses. All it took to kill the vinyl revival were a few (accurate, unfortunately) articles this past summer indicating all those high-priced vinyl reissues weren't even made from the original analog masters and that was all she wrote as far as the revival was concerned. Talk to any record store owner - even those who sell actual records made from the analog masters. I've talked to several in the NE USA and their business went off a cliff in Q3 of this year. A cliff...

A $2,800 price (if true) for this camera ensures this won't even have the opportunity to flatter-only-to-disappoint. It's a non-starter from the word go.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, and did you notice that the mining machines didn't even have proper Kodak logos on them? The deal with Spotlite came together awfully quickly...

6. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Really??? It's been turning up in various social media postings over the last few days & perhaps the reason it wasn't appearing all the time on the show floor was because the sales reps were out showing it off to various groups - for example: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd6ndQeh0Tl/ - there are several other similar posts on different accounts from that event alone.

7. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that was not a long term plan. From what I read, it went from idea, to press release in only a few months. Hardly any time for people to consider the ramifications about such an obvious scam. Probably why someone messed up the logo to.

8. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a question though. Would the new Super 8 cartridge fit standard Super 8 camera? I would much rather shoot using an old but high quality Super 8 camera.

9. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For those complaining about the high price.

Consumer cameras even the pro stuff is a joke price wise. Check out the price of broadcast cameras and lenses, motion picture cameras? We're not talking 10k, we're talking 100k and up. 2k for a camera is peanuts. I think Kodak is aiming at Hollywood types that want to incorporate Sup8mm footage into cinema films. If the budget of the movie is already 50 million throwing a handful of Sup8 cameras and a few thousand feet of film in won't even cause a blip.

10. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When introduced, Kodak said the camera was going to cost $400-$700. Kodak now says it will cost from $2500-$3000, which means $2995, so $2000 is out the window. The market for a $400-$700 camera is different than for a $2500-$3000 camera, hence the marketing shift. I don't know whether and to whom it will sell at that price, but it does seem to indicate that initially they had no idea what they were doing.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  11. guangong

guangong Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As for vinyl, is it only hipsters who listen to vinyl, or am I a hipster? A large part of my music collection is made up of LPs, especially jazz and opera.I listen to CDs for convenience at home and in the car, but there is a lot of music among my records that have never made it to CD, or at least not to a readily available label. Also, as with film after digital age, a huge amount of music became available at prices that I could afford, since some people were dumping their record collections for next to nothing to get hip with the latest technology. For example, whole operas consisting of 6 or 8 disks for $5. And early music on CD was hyped to unnatural levels, just like hi-fi when it was first introduced. Quality turntables are still manufactured (too bad the same can not be said of cameras).

12. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You get both a digital file and your film back.

13. Sponsored Ad

14. Be still my foolish heart! If I wanted both I would have spent $60,000US for a Hasselblad digital back. Instead I have had to do with taking month long trips to France and Greece as we as long visits to Canada and Hawaii. Woe is me!

15. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well try and soldier on. Our thoughts are with you. :smile:

16. It is a tough life, but someone has to live it.

17. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're an inspiration to us all.

18. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to know the answer to this as well.

19. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    The new Super 8 Camera isn’t aimed at the users of this Forum. Google ‘university student film competition’ to get an idea of the worldwide activity at the university level creating films. This seems to be the market it is aimed at.

20. I am a humble man. Sometimes when I am being humble, leaves a taste in my mouth. But then rinsing my mouth with mouthwash gets rid of the foul smell.

21. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This year's $2500-$3000 camera or 2016's $400-$700 camera? Has the market changed since it was originally introduced.

22. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    To get students started using film (instead of the video devices they have grown up with), the quality and features are of most importance. A cheap camera that lacks the needed quality and features would be worthless.

23. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I can tell it's the same camera they are selling; they just didn't have a clue how much it would actually cost when they introduced it.

24. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Read the blog. Among other things, they have found the camera needs an improved film transport mechanism. There are other changes as well. It's not the old Kodak that I retired from 25 years ago, that was loaded with experts. They are having to learn as they go. Give them a chance.

25. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've read the blog. I understand they have to reinvent the wheel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.