Joel Meyerowitz

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by CMoore, Mar 30, 2018.

1. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    He has a "Master Class"............ :smile:

Not sure quite how to put this.......
    His name often elicits responses and opinions that are...Divisive/Contrasting/Unflattering/Gushing Of Admiration/Etc etc.......all over the map.
    Myself included.
    I do not like Picasso, I do not like Jackson Pollock.
    I like Rembrandt, i like Norman Rockwell, i like Garry Winogrand and i like Dorothea Lange.
    I am not sure what i think about Joel. I like SOME of his stuff.....
    I enjoy listening to him speak, i probably enjoy his discussions of photography more than i enjoy his photography.

Am i way out of bounds with him.?
    His name has been conflated with "The Greats" for many, many years now. He has made a living (as far as i know) as a professional photographer for about the last 50 years.
    What do you guys think of Joel Weyerowitz.?

2. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    His discussions ARE more enjoyable than his photos.

3. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like a lot of his work very much.

4. piffey

piffey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    His work on Bystander was great. His 8x10 work, Florida work and color street work are all interesting, but far from the best. I think I most enjoyed his phase of only shooting things 12ft or more away -- he had a good way of compiling a scene, similar to how Gus Powell has now, that instinctive right moment to hit the shutter. I don't really enjoy his new still life stuff that he is doing, but I bought his retrospective anyways. When I look at photographers who have spanned their careers with lots of different types of work I'm always more inclined to go with Stephen Shore or Anthony Hernandez when I think of masters of several elements. I think Stephen Shore is better at discussing photography -- he's been able to explain photographs I like, but am unsure why and that's opened a lot of critical doors for my mind photographically. That all said, Joel does have an incredible work effort (hundreds and hundreds of shows) and has a passion for photography that's hard to find. I think he's made great contributions to the world of street photography even if it was just to help with the push for color photography being more accepted in art circles.

5. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well I just remember a simular debate on Annie Leybowitz. Here in case of Joel I would state the oposite than to Annie.
    Joel is indeed a R E A L Master (one of 4 ...max 5 pioneers in color) - but if a so called Masterclass is the real choice is a general problem from my point.
    A masterclass (from real value) is to work with Joel to min. some years.
    The only way is to become his assistence
    (no way any more) and then you hadn't to pay for - you would had income from this. The only way todays : Time Machine.
    E.T.A. : June 1964....:whistling:
    with regards

PS : Best way : "Joel I want to become a good assistance to you - but I urgend want to learn the loading of color films in the future - is:sick: there any chance you see?"

6. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Steven Shore was indeed one of Joels early kamerades. If Joels masterclass would be closed due to imense demand I would ask Steven.
    This is also a real alternate in regard of my Time Maschine idea :
    1964 - 1967 assistance with Joel
    1967 phone call to Steven :"I worked 3 years with Joel and I can't load bw film any more. He is allways using color since a couple of month. Well and that would be my only condition. I don't want to miss this ....:laugh:....is there a chance to come together ?"

with regards

7. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    PS : Perhaps the inspiration of New Color Photographers came indeed from Time Travelers???? Think about!!!
    with regards:cool:

8. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    He is a good talker.

9. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I went to see his prints, BW and in colors. I watched old film about him. And purchased his book in the Vallue Village second hand discount store.
    Where are some fine and nice pictures. And he talks great.
    I think, he is not the greatest one in photography I'm capable to understand and like.

10. hoffy

hoffy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think, like Shore, their best work was done in the 70s when they were just established, but still fresh and innovative.

11. Ivo

Ivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Meyerowitz’ early colorwork is very interesting. Little bit difficult to understand for an European citizen.
    Same for Eggleston.
    As a Belgian I am very happy we have Harry Gruyaert who imported this image language to Belgium, this made it better understandable.

My favorite kind of photography far more than p.e. Selgado which’s work I sometimes find boring.

Maybe that is the reason why I find Picasso’s sculptures absolute top and Pollocks paintings an endless expedition and joy.

12. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Concur.

He is an elder statesman from the golden age of photography...1970's. So he is due his dose of respect.

As far as his photos? It is the same deal with Winogrand. When both of these photogs names are mentioned they trot out the same old standbys. Winogrand shot over a million pix...shouldn't he have a few others to trot out?

Anyway, Meyerowitz gives good speeches. I like his hammock flapping in the wind and a few others. Am sick of seeing that ancient photo of the guy lying in the street. His work does not offend anyone nor will his speeches offend. As such, he is in demand.

My work and my speeches would offend, so I am kept underground.

13. OP
    OP
    CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well said, indeed. :cool:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Doug thanks for the link!!

17. OP
    OP
    CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes...nice link.
    I have mentioned before, i enjoy hearing him speak about photography, as much as i do (sometimes more) Looking at His Photos. And reading (just starting to read) this interview brings that back to mind.....i can tell the guy is talking to Meyerowitz.
    Speaking of his photos.....that first frame, of the brown haired girl, in the blue top. in that gathering of people, is really gorgeous. :smile:

18. OP
    OP
    CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Holy Cow, he is 80 year old.....

19. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I wouldn't say I am a fan of his. He gets ballyhooed as a street photographer, but I think his best work is Cape Light. In a way they are like Shore's work, but instead of being descriptive like Shore's they have a beauty as well.

20. ericdan

ericdan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Very passionate photographer but his work is mediocre.
    He likes photography and gets excited talking about it. I like that.

21. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That about sums him up. His work does not offend anyone, so that is a plus for exhibition.

22. Doc W

Doc W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had only heard his name but never actually saw his work. I took the time this evening and I am totally floored. What an amazing eye! I am puzzled that so many of you think he is mediocre, but taste being taste...

23. OP
    OP
    CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I cannot quite put my finger on it.
    Very few professional photographers leave me with the odd feeling that he does. I DO like A Lot of his pictures, but i seem to think just as many are "mediocre" for some reason. He seems to have that affect on many people. :wondering:
    Yet he knew and associated with some of the "biggest names" in photography, and was indeed their contemporary.
    He is knowledgeable, and as many have mentioned, quite passionate about and interested in photography and photo history.
    I suppose it is just like ANY art form.?.....some people think XYZ is a genius, and others wonder what the big deal is..
    I love to hear Mick Taylor, and John Fogerty and Mike Campbell play guitar. I have no interest in hearing Eddy Van Halen play. David Bowie.?.....never understood what the big deal was with him.
    Metallica.?.....i am not sure, but i might enjoy listening to Rap Music more than Metallics, and i hate Rap Music.:wink:

24. Ste_S

Ste_S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    More or less agree with that. Some of his street work is outstanding though and fits in nicely with the other colour photographers from that age.
    There's a recent podcast interview with him on The Candid Frame and he's an incredibly eloquent man and quite inspiring.

Bought "Where I Find Myself" and while the quality of the work isn't consistent throughout, it works well as a whole.
    While say something like his recent still life photos don't work for me, I can kind of appreciate them from an 80 year old man pottering around his barn in Tuscany trying to keep excited about photography

25. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Look : The general disadvantage of a masterclass is just into the name "master"....to some people it may be a real great thing - to make proffessional work. I realy can understand this. But it seams to be not possible to come out of the "shadow" of his master - ever.....:sad:

So it is in practice from real masterclasses (at the university).
    Many many people suffered (for years) to get their own reputation.
    Of course they learned much in such courses but they have to follow their
    university lecturer (professor) - and you will have no chance to make it different as the official meaning of your master is allowing you.
    :redface:
    :cry:

So their is no way within some couple of years to find your own style (wich has to be different)
    ........but if I ever would follow a masterclass my choice would be indeed with real masters.
    :cool:

And there is no question about :
    Meyerowitz is one of this kind of real
    MASTERS....
    :wink:

with regards

26. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I can't speak for his large format photography, but his street Leica shots gives me the impression he has a more spray and pray technique, rather than considered shots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.