If anyone is hostile/rude/lambasting towards you for posting on PHOTRIO, please report it.

Discussion in 'System Announcements' started by Sean, Apr 6, 2017.

1. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Something like that is now in place. It's only been around for a few days, so it's still early. How well the search function works is occasionally an issue, too, so Sean tweaked that a bit as well.

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Traditionally you see this in the Speaker's Corner of Hyde Park. Whether it is now restricted only to Hyde Park I don't know. Perhaps one of our British members will clarify the point. BTW it's very interesting to compare how Great Britain arrived at free speech as contrasted to America.

3. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Snarky OP's can also be a problem. I've had more than one chap vent on me because he didn't like the responses he was getting. I've also seen original posts that were too clever by half or contrarian that just seem to invite a put down, hard sometimes to resist.

4. Dali

Dali Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. This is sometimes too easy to target posters when the thread is presented in a controversial or ambiguous way.

5. kingbuzzie

kingbuzzie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How is it the op's problem if someone can't say "I disagree and here is a, b, c, etc why" without resorting to accusations or name calling? Granted sometimes someone can start a post being snarky. It's just as easy to ignore the thread than "target" them, or if it really is offensive report it. I do somewhat understand where you are coming from though.

6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I see some really impossibly silly threads being started here by a member, I use to respond and make light of the posters thread, now I just report it as to me its embarrassing to APUG seeing these silly threads.

7. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recall one of the very first threads I posted on APUG. My question was very poorly phrased and rife with incorrect assumptions. As I remember it, Dr. Pablo and a couple of others very kindly helped decipher what I was after without attacking me or my ignorance. I was very thankful for this. I'm sure if I had had the kind of welcome I have seen "offered" some more recent newcomers, I would have gone elsewhere.

8. kingbuzzie

kingbuzzie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are unanswered threads deleted after a period of time? They should be.

9. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know, sometimes it can take a while for an answer to be posited. It may be that no one currently a member knows the answer, it could be a "let's look into it", and sometimes the APUGER just has no time to get on and catch it up. I have also seen questions directed towards specific members. I suspect some members have quite a backlog of questions to answer.

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Some times it may take a long time to come up with an appropriate useful answer to some questions.

11. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No, i think they should not, for the reasons Sirius Glass exposed.

12. Truzi

Truzi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The main issue lately is how people behave towards each other, and a close second is how it can push people away from APUG (or any site).
    This post likely won't sit well with some, but I have been past the point of caring for quite a while.

Yes, I would like to see people get along, stop being rude, etc. The danger of pushing people away is very real. I see many posts that really irk me, even when they are directed towards others. However, I have never left a forum because of the membership. So long as the governance is good, I don't let a few nasty people push me away.

I've seen a lot of posts and threads removed. I know I don't see the majority of it, but I do see quite a few before they disappear. It bothers me that they don't even leave a placeholder/explanation as was done on the old system.

Many deleted posts I've seen certainly should have been removed (though with a placeholder, in my opinion). I can certainly agree with it.
    However, there are some extant posts that are even worse and will likely remain. While I do not like the posts, I am not at all bothered that they are allowed to exist. I feel the posts reflect on the poster, not on the site. However, I am bothered by the seeming lack of consistency.

Also, I have seen many posts that later vanished that I cannot imagine were offensive to anyone (and I have a VERY active imagination). While I suppose it is possible the poster is the one who deleted the comments, I cannot know for sure. How difficult would it be for the system to automatically leave a place-card that says something like "post deleted by moderator" or "post deleted by poster?" [This comment is not directed toward any single removal.]

That is beyond the point. I have no right to expect transparency... or anything at all. I do not begrudge APUG the ability to operate in this manner.
    APUG is a private enterprise, and Sean is entitled to run it as he wishes. Just as we are all free to participate, or not. Just as we are all free to support the site, or not.

People like myself do not leave a site, or even become soured it, because of the actions of community members. We are, however, sensitive to the operation - the governance - of the site. Even then, we rarely exit, and if we do we just fade away (not a grand exit). Instead, we quietly reduce vestment, and tend to use the site more as a cold technical resource instead of a community. People like myself also rarely point this out, so it is our own fault for feeling we are in the minority.

With all the arguments and attacks, and with all the discussion of proper behavior, I just wanted to elucidate that my participation significantly decreasing over a year ago has nothing to do with hostile or rude members.

13. OP
    OP
    Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Thanks for the feedback, and be sure to report these posts you talk about as it's the main method for us to find these issues. We have 600 posts a day at times and don't examine each one. As for the deletion stub issue, for some reason xenforo does not allow for this option. I and many others complained about it but it's likely going to take some custom coding to bring it back. I'll see what the current status of this is because I definitely prefer it.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cb1

cb1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or mention Scanning! LOLbandit:

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some times posts of this type weren't offensive, but were about the same, totally off topic issue as the original offensive ones. So when the moderators delete the off topic and offensive stuff, they remove the posts that are merely made in response.

17. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing that bothers me a bit is the note that's left in place of deleted posts is usually cut/paste of the note left for truly offending posts. Usually, the posts related to or responding to the offending posts have the same notation even though some of them weren't offensive at all. It make those who in some way participated in a reasonable manor look as bad as the offender.

18. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can criticise the monarch as much as you wish here, whether you're standing on a box or in bare feet, and in Hyde Park or your back garden; the only danger to your freedom to do so comes not from the law, but from passing "royalists" (usually with a flag of St. George tattooed on their neck and a history of domestic abuse) who take exception to your freedom to express your thoughts.

19. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your clarification. Your post has me wondering now as I do remember reading somewhere of why a box is used and the one restriction as to what one can say. The one authority in my family as to things British was my uncle. My grandmother was born in Birmingham and came to first Canada and then America when she was twelve. Interesting story in that. The carriage that was to take the family to the dock was late and they missed the ship. Fortunately for me as the ship caught fire and sank shortly after sailing.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  20. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In which case I think you can call yourself an honorary Brummie, and be very proud of this daughter of that city, Saffiyah Khan.

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    im always amazed at stories like this of "near misses" considering local wars, genocides, illness, random-fate.
    and that before the 1930s even with antiobiotics that can now be purchased over the counter ( like triple antibiotic ointment for example )
    you could get an infected scrape and be dead soon after, nevermind childhood illnesses, or other things that in
    the 1st world aren't much of a problem anymore. and these "near misses" are just as prevelant now as they were 200, 400 or 1000 years ago.

22. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Something that concerns me is there are a very few people who, despite their valuable knowledge and their willingness to share it, are often rude to the same people they're offering that knowledge to. In fact, there's a recent thread about this very thing. What those people do is stay just barely this side of civil to avoid getting banned. They post veiled accusations, veiled insults and chastise for the littlest of things. In my opinion, those people cause just as much damage to the community as those who push things further because they chip away at peoples' self confidence a little bit at a time... like the rare abusive grade school teacher who degrades some students on a regular basis. What do these people get out of this kind of behavior?

23. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    exactly ...
    and that is why i use the ignore function, so i don't have to hear/read the remarks..from people
    that tend to leave passive aggressive/snarky &c comments ... its not perfect, seeing these people can still
    post comments for others to read "behind your back" but maybe, as the title of THIS thread suggests
    if people report the post, maybe the comments will be removed and eventually the posts stop