If anyone is hostile/rude/lambasting towards you for posting on PHOTRIO, please report it.

Discussion in 'System Announcements' started by Sean, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Hi All,

I feel this is getting a bit out of hand and we need your help to identify and reduce this behavior. Everyone is free to post topics on PHOTRIO, even resurrect old threads if they see fit. There has been some curmudgeon like activity lately in many threads, where the thread creators are practically bullied off of the site. This is unacceptable and I urge everyone to report this activity to us whenever they see it. With your help, we can work to set this straight. I and many others do NOT like what we've seen lately and will go after this the best we can.

For whatever reason, if you don't like a topic someone has posted then simply leave it be and move on. There are plenty who are perfectly happy to engage in a friendly and constructive manner.

To report content, look to the bottom of every post and you'll see a "Report this post" button.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 5.12.20 PM.png

Many of you have already begun reporting this activity, we appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Sean

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hear, hear!!

Thanks, Sean, that's what makes APUG such a nice place. Good to know you're garding us. :smile:

LordOfTheFliesBookCover.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    3 cheers for our benevolent overlord sean and his moderator-staff !

thanks sean &al. !

people shouldn't be treated rudely for asking a question ..
    even if it has been asked a few times b4

4. Julie McLeod

Julie McLeod Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you, Sean! I hope we all can enjoy a more peaceful and productive APUG experience now. I much appreciate that you and your team are prepared to tackle this. :smile:

5. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've put plenty of people on ignore because of their hostile attitude, not towards me but as general behaviour I have observed. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do this. If admin can look to see who the most ignored members are and cross reference that with who posts a lot, they would have a good idea who to take a closer look at.

6. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I whole heartedly agree with the above comments. I am the admin and moderator on a UK site unconnected with photography and when I took over that post in 2010 on behalf of the forums owners, it was a hotbed of almost hatred between the protagonists, the site owners and those loyal to the site. I banned 6 of the main protagonists and the rest got the message. Since then it has been almost without bother at all. It is only the new members who cannot be bothered to read the rules that cause any trouble. A quick word seems to usually do the trick. There is absolutely no excuse for rudeness, being polite cost's nothing.

7. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you. One shouldn't have to worry about these things when posting a question.

8. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

9. MrBrowning

MrBrowning Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

I've always found apug to be pretty welcoming and I don't think I've had any real nastiness directed by way. I have however seen other members "battling" back and for (not in a playful way) and it can really turn an enjoyable thread into something I have no interest in reading.

10. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to see all discussions centered around politics and religion banned from APUG. Yes I know that's what the soap box is for, and yes I have participated, and yes people can choose to or not participate, but I just feel APUG would be a better place without such things. Many other forums I participate in have this ban and everything runs along just fine.

11. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Eric... but sometimes a posted image can lead to such discussions.

12. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I think any pictures of Albertan men with their pants down standing in a river should be banned.

13. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Excellent idea. I also have a list of people on "ignore" mode because of exceedingly bad attitude.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Thank you! I sent you a PM about an advertiser who unprovoked regularly attacks others and myself on a regular basis. I have been reporting rather than responding and the removal of the offense posts has been lukewarm. Now he has taken to obliquely attacking. Please have an enlightened talk with him.

16. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would NOT like to see all discussions centered around politics and religion banned from APUG. From what I've seen on other forums this kind of ban is a very slippery slope.

Thanks

17. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So do I!!

18. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    Neither do I and I agree that banning such topics is a slippery slope.

19. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do I opt-out of the Soap Box?

And to those that are worried about slippery slopes, please remember this forum is not a democracy, you only have the privileges the owner wants to give you. You have no rights to anything.

20. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We all must be careful is this change not going to have a cilling effect on APUG participation. One person's bon mot is another's snarky comment. Perhaps a very light touch on the Report button is needed. I certainly do not wish to measure each and every word for fear that someone will take offense. I say this even after having been attacked some time in the past. The "equal opportunity" attacker was eventually removed from APUG but only after numerous attacks on several people.

21. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're being polite and helpful, you have nothing to worry about.

22. Vaughn

Vaughn Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I try to be, but I think I slip into obnoxiousness too often. Alas...it is not getting better with old age. Please, anyone, feel free to remind me if needed!

And keep up the good work, Sean -- and I will renew soon!

23. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Any reasonable person knows what an attack, or snarky comment, is. There is no need to be guarded about what you post unless you are the type of person who offends.

24. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as thee Soap Box is concerned my impression is that it was designed as a no holds barred forum. If I understand British law one stands on a box so that technically they are no longer standing on British soil. Under this condition one can say anything they want provided the do not criticize the monarch.

25. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many images are inherently political. (not my boring crap... but that's a different matter entirely) And sometimes the discussion of images can get fiery. The real slippery slope begins when we start putting boundaries on the kinds of photographs we can share out of fear that they might provoke discussion. There are many aspects to this particular issue, and I don't think they have any real bearing on Sean's current concerns... other than the fact that with religion and politics (and forum navel-gazing) we run into situations where members declare their right to "speak their mind", and label any attempt to moderate their tone as censorship and oppression. IMHO speaking your mind is not carte blanche to insult, bully, or marginalize members of your forum community.

Thank you, Sean.

Tom

26. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    I always had the impression that it's related to Hyde Park.