If anyone is hostile/rude/lambasting towards you for posting on PHOTRIO, please report it.

Discussion in 'System Announcements' started by Sean, Apr 6, 2017.

1. macfred

macfred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree!
    But I'm sure Sean -and the rest of the crew- are sensible and attentive enough to make reasonable decissions.
    They know them inside out ...

--
    I have been attacked in the past and after a discussion with a few friends here on APUG,
    I decided to ignore the offender (without reporting to the crew) - meanwhile the problem has solved itself ...

2. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    +1
    And we can keep it polite and - if need be - restricted to the soapbox.

3. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sean, have you considered an automated demerit system, such that after a certain level of demerits is attained by an offending poster there would be an automated warning "shot across the bow", followed by an automated ban if not heeded. Just another code change that would require only minimal if any supervision on your part. Good idea? Or not?

4. OP
    OP
    Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    +1
    We also have a team based moderation approach and often action problematic posts by consensus. First, the post is reported, then we take it from there. One report can be enough, multiple reports come in and we definitely know something needs attention. We try to be hands off as possible though. 9 out of 10 times content removed is when it shifts into personal attacks or bickering that derails the thread.

5. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am British and have never heard of this. Standing on a box has nothing to do with not standing on British soil, it is to make sure you are head and shoulders above all others so they know who is making the point. It may have some origin in Common Law from the dim and distant past but the meanig will be lost in the sands of time, but is not a statute. Free speach is a gift in this country so long as it is within the bounds of the law. (No racist, anti gay speeches etc - you get the drift) I may have missed the exact essence of the criticising the Monarch, but I don't think that hold a great deal of credance - the newspapers do it on a regular basis, usually as a way of selling more drivel. This not the middle ages and we do not behead transgressors now!

If the forum has a problem with political or religous topics getting out of hand, perhaps a tighter set of rules could be considered, or a sanction of a short suspension, say 7 days which will let everything cool off.

There are more ways of killing a cat than choking it with cream!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. greg zinselmeier

greg zinselmeier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can ask everyone to approve or disapprove of me. Maybe I'm the problem and just don't know it. and THat's the truth Ruth!! I do not know if I'm good or bad? how would one determine or know if he or she is the problem? would someone let me know if I get put on the short list? for real. . .. . I'm very sincere about this!!! as real as real gets.

7. OP
    OP
    Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    There is a built in "warning" system that does this, however, I have a few new tools being built that will run behind the scenes. For example, one tool will tell us who is being "ignored" the most, and another tells us who is getting the most reported posts. I also have a new ignore system going in later today which will be a huge step up in how members can control their own content. I'll be posting a poll regarding this soon.

8. OP
    OP
    Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    You would definitely know, we open a dialogue in private with members who may be causing issues. We try to work things out that way first.

9. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Somewhere in your profile there's a list of forums to include or not in your "new posts" view. I did mine so long ago that it was on the former forum software. I excluded the soap box in that list, so only see it if I look at the whole forum list. Even though I never look at it, I don't agree with banning all religion and politics there. It's a vent as long as it stays in the soap box. For other non-photo things, we have the lounge.

10. OP
    OP
    Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Go into the group and there should be a button on the main page "Leave This Group", click that and it's gone..

11. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sean, I have been married to the same lady for fifty three years and don't get upset by hostile and rude people on this forum because I have had been hostile and rude to by professionals :sad:.

12. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Sean,

Thanks for dealing with this. Overall, I find APUG users responsible and pleasant in their posts, as has been the case since the inception of the site. Yes, there is an occasional post which can be considered inappropriate or rude, but those are usually easy to avoid. I think the moderators do a good job.

Konical

13. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Somehow I came across a forum used mostly by women and they had both plus and minus points. I assume other posters added the points, similar to clicking a "like" button. Interesting idea.

Maybe we could do it like "hangman", with parts of the body being added ...or dropping off...

Am I the most ignored? I think I am. How to find out?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not likely in the least!!!!!!

16. Two23

Two23 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

I certainly do want political threads removed. Most quickly become brain dead same-o crap. This is an international forum--let's not screw it up with stupid politcal stuff. I've not seen any religious themed posts that were objectionable.

Kent in SD

17. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No way! You're nice.

If you want, we can create a thread where everybody discloses his/her ignore list...

18. Ozxplorer

Ozxplorer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean, I believe you've erred by embroiling yourself in an issue so small yet one which has such wide ramifications. This community comprises broadly 2 distinct user groups - THE GIVERS and THE TAKERS...

The GIVERS tend to be a much maligned group of highly experienced, well educated and practised film photographers who are commonly & disrespectfully referred to by the TAKERS as "grumpy old men" (not nIce - a description having distasteful connotations). Yet they, as a group, are unreservedly willing to share their knowledge with the TAKERS as evidenced by the thousands upon thousands of thread responses provided over time providing technical, constructive plus motivational support and/or advice to the TAKERS. It is understandable if at times the GIVERS become a little "ratty" having to keep on going over old ground because the TAKERS choose not to make reasonable self help efforts to persue the knowledge they seek! Notwithstanding, the GIVERS stand ready to educate the TAKERS, or in some cases the "Newbies", because it is not in their natures not to assist where possible...

On the other hand, it now is made to appear that the TAKERS i.e. The beneficiaries of free education are now only willing to conditionally participate in their good fortune in a manner they find pleases THEM. They worry about HOW the message is received rather than WHAT the content is. They complain about TONE, perceived RUDENESS and imagined outright HOSTILITY toward them. All to a decision point of walking away from APUG! What happened to their urgent desire to TAKE away the knowledge they want?

I believe the conversations within this community must of necessity be robust, frank exchanges delivered in a straight foward and forthright manner. Those sensitive TAKER souls participating here must, in their own interests, learn to distill the information provided without shooting the messenger and to give as good as they get during any conversation - after all, the GIVERS know the answer while the TAKER does not!

Note, none of what I have said excuses bad behaviour of any kind...

But, I do want to warn that the "Report Post" button used too often will result in a happy, carefree yet clueless community because the happy TAKERS will have finally "shot the knowledgable GIVER messengers" - it is they who are more likely walk away from APUG to the loss of the film photography community as a whole.

19. OP
    OP
    Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I somewhat see it as Seekers, Givers and Agitated Givers. The Agitated Givers seem to be a new trend, an extremely tiny yet vocal minority. In a thread of 50 replies, it only takes one or two "Agitated Givers" to sour the entire thread. I prefer those with a wealth of knowledge to remain but make a conscious decision to stay out of threads which seem to agitate them so much, rather than enter the thread and harass the thread creator. This is the definition of "bad behaviour". As mentioned, others are perfectly happy to help the newbies (100's in fact), link the newbies to data or take on these repetitive questions, so why not leave them to it, ignore those threads and move on to more intermediate and advanced topics?

20. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really do think you shot yourself in the foot with this as an opening statement.
    But the rest of your post really does seem to suggest you have completely missed the point.
    Nobody (or, more accurately, only yourself) is characterising those with knowledge and experience as comprising the same group as those who are being rude.
    In fact, the rudest seem to be those who consider themselves expert on what should be being asked, not those who actually know the answers.
    If you haven't already, do please read the complete thread that triggered Sean's post - it can be found here:
    http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/whats-going-on.145210/

21. Ozxplorer

Ozxplorer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ouch! Hobbling around as I now do... I confirm having "been there done that" before responding to Sean's post. I stand by my assertion about there being "broadly" two APUG user groups for the purpose of my post.

22. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No need to feel ouched, I had no idea if you had read it, hence my "if you haven't already ..."
    I still think you have misunderstood the thrust of the discussion. As Gerald pointed out in that thread, making it into an "us and them" is a mistake, and I read your post above as perpetuating and encouraging that tendency, even if that is not what you had in mind to express.

Sean makes a lovely tripartite distinction, and his idea of an "agitated giver" is rather a neat encapsulation. I'd also suggest "aggrieved giver" :wink:

Reporting rude or other disruptive posts is fine. But I do think if we see someone being rude, we should tell them we think they're being rude.

23. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Sean, we definitely need this.

24. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Fred,

I understand what you mean but it's unnecessary to be gruff to a newb. Rudeness/unkindness is off-putting even if it comes from geniuses like A. Einstein or S. Hawking... and both of those were/are the nurturing type. They offered/offer knowledge and taught/teach to the lowest levels without a hint of meanness or condescension. And I'll wager that not a single person on APUG can hold a candle to Einstein or Hawking.

I may be floating off into the ether when I write this but I think sometimes even those with extensive knowledge need their egos boosted and unfortunately, for a few, that means b!+c#-slapping others to make themselves feel superior. This may be a vacuous statement but I'm thinking their rudeness is a self-empowerment thing to the detriment of others. Oh, but it's okay to be mean because they take their time to help those 'idiot lazy newbs'? Mmm... no... that does more harm than good to newbs, analog photography's future... and Sean's forum. In those instances, who's the giver and who's the taker?

EDIT: I should add that I'm aware those who practice 'mentoring' in this fashion don't realize why they're being unkind. It's a deeply recessed need way in the back of their minds and the gruffness isn't usually intentional... or at least not intended to cause any permanent damage. This is what makes it so difficult to keep in self-check.

25. nmp

nmp Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wonder if a technical solution can be implemented to help this situation somewhat, namely by linking to a search function within the forum right after one enters the title of a new thread (a key word feature can be added as well) so before posting a question there is an understanding the OP has done the expected homework. Based on my personal experience, I believe this will allow one to ask more intelligent question as well.

26. Ai Print

Ai Print Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A more advanced form of welcome packet would be good too, even a way to select experience level during the registration process that would toggle the appropriate packet.

Everyone has bad / off days and I think Sean's willingness to give people a fair shake exemplifies that. This shake up is good.