Latest member
GRInfratech
Recent bookmarks

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Nikon N75 011723 Small.JPG

I just took this little guy out for a shoot to finish the roll of Metropolis I had in it. What a joy to shoot! I know it's plastic, but it's fantastic.

There's not a thing it does wrong. It is just the right size, feathery light, the ergonomics are spot on, the shutter feels and sounds great, the film advance is fast and makes a nice sound, the 28-80mm zoom lens offers a great range and is super smooth, the AF is fast, and I like that when you load a roll of film in the camera it winds it all on the take-up spool. When the last frame is shot, there is just a short Bzzt sound as that last frame makes its way into the canister. Cool.

I cannot figure out why this Nikon N75 is so inexpensive on the used market, but I'm sure happy it is.

Are there any other cameras out there that make you smile?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
That lens is also very good. I had mine set up so the AE lock was the spot meter.

Yes, I'd heard that the lens is very good which, again, is a surprise given the cost.

How did you set the AE lock so it was the spot meter?

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
Why pick this when you can get a N/F80
for the same price?

OP
OP

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Why pick this when you can get a N/F80
for the same price?

I got smokin' deals on the N75's. $20-$35 including extra lenses and other stuff with some of them. I'm not sure mint-shape N80's with lenses are going for those prices, but maybe they are.

This point is, the N75 is what I have and I enjoy the heck out of shooting with it.

What camera do you own that puts a smile on your face when you use it?

BAC1967

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I have the N60, very similar. Great to take snowboarding or hiking. When I saw it at a garage sale for $15 I really just wanted the bag it was in. Took me a while to realize how good it is.

Nikon N60 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Thread title updated - so that it at least provides a clue .......

Moose22

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
That lens is also very good. I had mine set up so the AE lock was the spot meter.

My friend STILL uses that camera, exactly like you set it up. I got her an AF50 1.8 for nights, and the stock lens for walkin' around do everything photography. Impossibly cheap for how useful a camera it is.

I'd swear the metering on the thing is as good as the F100 and F6, so close to as good as film cameras ever got. I may be wrong, but unless you try to fool it, it pretty much never misses.

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
Can you?

I regularly see these for $40 at Goodwill, lens included.

That said, the F80 is also a fantastic bargain of a camera.

I’d say $40 is at the high end for a plastic fantastic like this.

The kit lenses are not bad but they are not speed monsters or out of the normal 35 - 75 zone. No one wants them. They should basically be a bulky body cap.

The 80 is basically an F100 with a little worse low light focus (still super and even better with a flash with IR pilot light).
It’s much lighter though, numerous and cheap. Buy ten mint (just fix the sticky body) for the price of one so so F100.
It has old fashioned cable release too.

Bob Eskridge

Shooter
Multi Format
When I shoot 35mm it is most likely the one I will use for family snaps, etc. Two of them are for backup if the first one fails.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have been using my N75 since 2004 and I have had no problems with it.

Shooter
35mm RF
I recently picked up a Canon Rebel T2 which is probably the Canon equivalent of the N75. I got it because a friend gave me the 40mm pancake and I wanted something small and light, which it is. Pretty much perfect as such for a carry in the hand camera during a walk. It replaces a Rebel 2000 which had a few things that annoyed me. The T2 was the last Canon film camera released I think and it shows.

OP
OP

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
My friend STILL uses that camera, exactly like you set it up. I got her an AF50 1.8 for nights, and the stock lens for walkin' around do everything photography. Impossibly cheap for how useful a camera it is.

I'd swear the metering on the thing is as good as the F100 and F6, so close to as good as film cameras ever got. I may be wrong, but unless you try to fool it, it pretty much never misses.

I have that same 50mm lens mounted on one of my N75's. Another great lens for not much money and it goes well with the camera.

250swb

Shooter
Multi Format
The 28-80 lens on the F75 (N75) is terrific, and although plastic Nikon threw a lot into the optical design, I often use it on my F100 because the quality is 'up there' compared with some other Nikon zooms. When I went after the lens on eBay I got the camera body virtually for free and it's very nice to use when you just want a lightweight carry around all day type of body.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
Related thread:

Nicholas Lindan

Advertiser
Advertiser
Shooter
Multi Format
I was introduced to the F75 by Mr. Racer - thank you very much, BTW.

The camera has a certain je ne sais pas - it's just true to itself.

Interestingly most all of the cameras up for ebay auction come with no lens or some crap off-brand zoom rather than the kit lens, or come with no lens at all. The few cameras with the kit 28-80 command much higher prices.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I like the built in flash which works well for fill in without carrying a strobe.

Willy T

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
It does not have any problems and the light meter agrees with all the other light meters.

That's not the point. You have been told that your perfectly working camera needs a CLA, now go do it.

Heh heh heh.
Why does this exchange seem so quintessentialy photo-forumish?

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom